Who's interested in Forced Perspective?

What is this "forced perspective"?

There doesn't appear to be anything unusual in those pictures.

but it's an indication of the fact he did it bloody well...
Indeed he did .

I never guessed that they were model cars in front of a real building! (y)

I never realised that, yes the guy did well. It's a bit like someone on TP does with Lego figures and the like - can't immediately find the thread.

Here's one of my better shots, always room for improvement.

Attachments

• 4-22-23-AA-RS.jpg
    4-22-23-AA-RS.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 21
I never realised that, yes the guy did well. It's a bit like someone on TP does with Lego figures and the like - can't immediately find the thread.
Are you thinking of @Paulie-W and his star wars stuff?

Plus there is @badlywornroy
and his "Small world" Not exactly "forced perspective" I agree

Last edited:
What is this "forced perspective"?

There doesn't appear to be anything unusual in those pictures.
Andrew: I my case it's blending toys/models in a setting attempting to make it all look real. Here's a shot from last Spring:

Attachments

• Riders-RS.jpg
    Riders-RS.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 21
Here's one more of mine, antique cast iron toy wagon, miniature Vegetables, A Halloweenized background. I'll stop and wait for feedback.

Attachments

• Petersburg-BB-RS.jpg
    Petersburg-BB-RS.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 17
Here's one more of mine, antique cast iron toy wagon, miniature Vegetables, A Halloweenized background. I'll stop and wait for feedback.
I would have just used the wagon, the horses and the man are a give away straight away, the wagon alone would have worked better.

I did this the other day, not really forced perspective but it seemed to work.
Gnome.jpg

I think to be honest with the "dino" pictures you've posted, you're really setting yourself up for an incredibly tough task.

The lad doing the car photo's outside buildings has it easier in many ways, not least that both the model car, and the real car it's portraying are both man-made objects.

Once you get into the realms of modelling creatures (and worse still, human figures) millions of years of human evolution kicks in and we're REALLY good at telling whats real from fake. Thats why almost every creature-feature SFX shot from the 70's and before looks vaguely terrible these days - trying to get a shot that'll match up with modern digital FX work, that we're all used to seeing these days using models is a big, big ask.

Even in the mid-1970's for example - one of the more successful creature features was Jaws - and that mixed iirc 3 real life hydraulically operated full size shark models (a left side view - open on the right so it was neutral buoyancy, a right side view (open on the left), and the whole body version, affectionately named Bruce (after one of the studio lawyers if memory serves) - but also it used real great white footage of 15-20 foot sharks filmed using a miniature shark cage and very short stuntmen) to give the illusion of a 30 foot shark and 6 foot tall divers. I think they also had a miniature shark cage with puppets in that was 2 foot high, so they could mix up real life sharks from 12 feet through to Bruce's 30+ feet.

The Dino's are always going to look a little "plastic" and unreal, because, frankly, thats what they are - you could start by "weathering" them a little - give them a wash of water-based bdark brown/black paint, then rub it off with a rag - the paint will help matt down the toy, and stick in the creases and folds - you could even dust them with a little fullers earth in a pounce bag - again, it'll mattify the plastic a little. In the end though, I think the best you're likely to get, is somewhere on the slopes of uncanny valley.

I would however love to see how experiments develop....

Back