Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Animal from the Muppet Show

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • The Gorilla from the Cadbury's advert

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Other

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters
I'm going to add Joe Morello to the mix. Everyone remembers the piano and saxaphone on "Take five", but none of it works without the drums,
Agreed Joe was a great drummer, perfect timing and very inventive considering he only used a small kit. And how he got his head round those awkward time signatures I’ll never know.

I saw Louis Bellson playing with Oscar Peterson once, he was a similar deal… small kit, very understated but a really clever drummer. The best bit was that he played a whole two hour set, in a tuxedo ….and never broke a sweat.

Brian Bennett OBE. (Shadows).

Last edited:
John Bonham. His drumming is like an engine. It drove Led Zeppelin. Similarly I think mid Beatles Ringo Star takes some beating. He's greatly underrated, and the way his drumming weaves into the music is incredible. But those are both stand outs. You could equally say that the best drummers are the totally professional ones who don't make such a splash, but are solid and keep perfect time. Someone like Charlie Watts comes to mind.

Last edited:
Neil Peart for his sheer perfectionism and technical skill, Bonzo for his power & dynamics and Charlie Watts for his often ignored mastery of the backbeat.

Terry Bozzio deserves at least an honourable mention.

Another name to throw into the ring, Jeff Porcaro... Some amazing work with Toto, plus a who's who of rock bands session work from mid seventies to the early nineties.

His successor in Toto, Simon Phillips wasn't half bad either....

The ONLY two possible answers can be Roger Taylor or Phil Collins.;)

He was.

I like my musicians go have a personality and he did. As well as being an awesome drummer. So talented.
There's a cracking video on YouTube of him being interviewed by Steve Lamacq about all sorts, influences, what it's like being a drummer for the Foo's etc. 48 mins worth watching for sure....

View: https://youtu.be/PwjEc8S0PRo

A few of my fave drummers
Topper headon - The Clash
David lovering - Pixies
Stephen morris - Joy division
Meg white - White stripes

Celso Alberti

Back