Who's used an EOS-1V?

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21335

Hello good F&C people/

So, after I vowed to stop shooting weddings in September because life was good, day job was ok, etc. There have been some proposed changes which means worse terms and conditions for less pay. Great stuff! That means I am giving serious consideration to starting to shoot weddings again. Unfortunately, I sold my AF 35mm body (F100) and all my lenses (35mm & 85mm) so would have to buy equivalents again...oh, and a flash. Having never used one, the lure of the 1V is strong and I was wondering who has used one, in comparison to perhaps an F5, as they are both similar price points it seems. I have seen an F5 for £325 and the 1v goes for around £400.
Another consideration would be the lenses of course, and having had both systems digitally in the past, the lure of the 50mm F1.2 is strong in favour of the Canon. That plus a 35mm F1.4 would see me happy.

Love to hear your thought if you have used either the EOS 1V or the Nikon F5. There is also a boxed F6, but the price is just too rich for me I think. Could get a backup 1V body for the price of an F6. :)

Had one for years but unfortunately haven’t used it for absolutely ages.... it was just so easy to go straight to a 1ds. I was going to get a 3 but had a quick try of the 1v and just loved it from day one.highly recommended.

Had one for years but unfortunately haven’t used it for absolutely ages.... it was just so easy to go straight to a 1ds. I was going to get a 3 but had a quick try of the 1v and just loved it from day one.highly recommended.

Thanks for taking the time. :)

Not used a 1v but I've owned a couple of 3s which are basically the same camera (sans a bit better electronics in the 1v), plus a 1n. The AF was pretty impressive as far as I can remember, at least on a par with my 5dmk2 except with more focus points.

They feel exactly like a modern 5series camera bar the screen and extra buttons. If you like vertical shooting the grip is very nice and it's the same one on the 3 or the 1 series films cameras.

Are you sure you're after what is essentially the same experience as shooting on digital, just with a bit more hassle and reduced flexibility?

Edit to add I never used it in anger with flash, but I seem to remember it working flawlessly on the few occasions I did use it

Last edited:
If you get stuck in the meantime mate you're more than welcome to borrow my F100 and a couple of lenses.

Not used a 1v but I've owned a couple of 3s which are basically the same camera (sans a bit better electronics in the 1v), plus a 1n. The AF was pretty impressive as far as I can remember, at least on a par with my 5dmk2 except with more focus points.

They feel exactly like a modern 5series camera bar the screen and extra buttons. If you like vertical shooting the grip is very nice and it's the same one on the 3 or the 1 series films cameras.

Are you sure you're after what is essentially the same experience as shooting on digital, just with a bit more hassle and reduced flexibility?

Edit to add I never used it in anger with flash, but I seem to remember it working flawlessly on the few occasions I did use it

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

As for the bit I have made bold, yes I am absolutely sure. It's not about the experience of shooting film with a body like this, it's just about getting the job done. I have fully manual cameras I shoot personal stuff, travel etc on. Need a 35mm AF for the quicker, more candid moments. Digital is not an option for me.

If you get stuck in the meantime mate you're more than welcome to borrow my F100 and a couple of lenses.

Thanks, Dave. Appreciated. :). I sold my own F100 at the beginning of the year as I didn't think I was going to shoot weddings any more. Do you still have the dead F5, too?

It is capable of using up a whole roll of film in 3s! Enjoy :)

Only the HS I believe. This is more pedestrian and will use it in around 6. Either way, not with me it won't. :LOL:

Well, i've got a 1V and a couple of 3's. If I'm honest, for what you're looking at, either the 1V or the 3 would do the job perfectly well - they've got basically the same AF as the 1D's had for the first three iterations - it was so good in the 1V and 3 that Canon didn't really need to upgrade things (other than adding slightly faster processors as they came available over the years) for three versions of it's flagship pro digital.

Personally, I think I'd probably just get a pretty mint 3 and save myself a couple of hundred quid, the 1V's a little nicer, but they do the same job - put the money into glass.

Well, i've got a 1V and a couple of 3's. If I'm honest, for what you're looking at, either the 1V or the 3 would do the job perfectly well - they've got basically the same AF as the 1D's had for the first three iterations - it was so good in the 1V and 3 that Canon didn't really need to upgrade things (other than adding slightly faster processors as they came available over the years) for three versions of it's flagship pro digital.

Personally, I think I'd probably just get a pretty mint 3 and save myself a couple of hundred quid, the 1V's a little nicer, but they do the same job - put the money into glass.

Thanks. Think I’ve already found one before I read this. Ooops. Won’t be getting a lot of lenses, that’s for sure. Two focal lengths at the very most.

I'd agree with Mark about this, the EOS-3 is a very capable camera and has eye-controlled focus (ECF), which can be used to select any of the 45 focus points. If you can get on with ECF I find it's really useful; just look at the point where you want to focus and that's pretty much it. If struggling a bit with it then the number of ECF AF points can be reduced (to 11 I think) in the custom functions settings to improve accuracy at tracking your eye. I really wish Canon would bring ECF back as a feature on their top-range cameras.

The 1v looks the part and is a pro-quality build camera, but back in the day I bought the 3 as I just couldn't justify the not inconsiderable extra cost of the 1v for the difference it offered me for what I needed, plus it didn't have ECF. I still have my EOS-3 and use it half a dozen or so times a year, and it still delivers very nice results and works fine with the current EF IS Canon lenses such as the 24-105 L and the 580EX II and 430EX II speedlites. Also, I imagine it may be easier to find a lightly used EOS-3 than it would to find a lightly used pro camera like the 1v? Then factor in the cost difference and you could probably buy 2 minti-sh EOS-3 bodies for around the same as a lightly used 1v, and it's always handy to have a spare and/or one loaded with a different film.

Hope this is useful and you manage to find the right camera for your needs.

Last edited:
I'd agree with Mark about this, the EOS-3 is a very capable camera and has eye-controlled focus (ECF), which can be used to select any of the 45 focus points. If you can get on with ECF I find it's really useful; just look at the point where you want to focus and that's pretty much it. If struggling a bit with it then the number of ECF AF points can be reduced (to 11 I think) in the custom functions settings to improve accuracy at tracking your eye. I really wish Canon would bring ECF back as a feature on their top-range cameras.

The 1v looks the part and is a pro-quality build camera, but back in the day I bought the 3 as I just couldn't justify the not inconsiderable extra cost of the 1v for difference it offered me for what I needed, plus it didn't have ECF. I still have my EOS-3 and use it half a dozen or so times a year, and it still delivers very nice results and works fine with the current EF IS Canon lenses such as the 24-105 L and the 580EX II and 430EX II speedlites. Also, I imagine it may be easier to find a lightly used EOS-3 than it would to find a lightly used pro camera like the 1v? Then factor in the cost difference and you could probably buy 2 minti-sh EOS-3 bodies for around the same as a lightly used 1v, and it's always handy to have a spare and/or one loaded with a different film.

Hope this is useful and you manage to find the right camera for your needs.

Very helpful, thank you.

I’ve used eye focus on an EOS 10 I believe it was. Really cool actually.

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

As for the bit I have made bold, yes I am absolutely sure. It's not about the experience of shooting film with a body like this, it's just about getting the job done. I have fully manual cameras I shoot personal stuff, travel etc on. Need a 35mm AF for the quicker, more candid moments. Digital is not an option for me.

In that case either one will do you perfectly, they're very very capable cameras

In that case either one will do you perfectly, they're very very capable cameras

:) Thanks. I will probably take it out and shoot a load of stuff with it just to see how it performs.

Thanks, Dave. Appreciated. :). I sold my own F100 at the beginning of the year as I didn't think I was going to shoot weddings any more. Do you still have the dead F5, too?

Yeah it’s here somewhere - probably propping a door open :D

I don't think you can go wrong with Canon's last gen of film SLRs (1v, 3, 30v, 300x). I have a 300x and it's a great camera, I may even use it to shoot a wedding I've been asked to do.

Cool, thank you. Think I have one sorted now. :)

Cool, thank you. Think I have one sorted now. :)
Which are you getting? Reading the posts, I wasn't sure if you were persuaded by the 3 or sticking with the 1v!

Which are you getting? Reading the posts, I wasn't sure if you were persuaded by the 3 or sticking with the 1v!

Went with the 1V. Either was going to be a soulless, metal brick but my word this thing is complicated! I think a lens I ordered is at the post office for collection today so hopefully I will be able to get a roll through it soon. :)

used to love the 85L on my 1V when I was shooting people on a regular basis - was a bit slow on AF, as it's a hell of a chunk of glass to move back and forward (I understand the mk2 may be a bit better in that respect) - I was sad to see it go, but it was a ridiculous amount of money to have tied up in a lens that I probably used once a year when I stopped doing paid work on a regular basis. All things considered the 1.8 85 is a much more sensible proposition, but, oh boy - the look of that 1.2L

Last edited:
used to love the 85L on my 1V when I was shooting people on a regular basis - was a bit slow on AF, as it's a hell of a chunk of glass to move back and forward (I understand the mk2 may be a bit better in that respect) - I was sad to see it go, but it was a ridiculous amount of money to have tied up in a lens that I probably used once a year when I stopped doing paid work on a regular basis. All things considered the 1.8 85 is a much more sensible proposition, but, oh boy - the look of that 1.2L

I’ve had the 85L II before when I shot digital and it does produce beautiful results.
As for the slow AF, having manual focus for the last few years, I don’t mind it taking its time a little. I’m off to Portugal soon and can’t decide whether to take the new 1v & 50mm or something more pleasurable to use like the Leica.

If you're looking for a walkabout type lens for the 1v then a Mk 1 24-105 L IS should work well and cover most eventualities and give good results. If on a tighter budget, then if you can find a good one in full working order, the old Canon EF 28-135 IS might be worth looking at. In everyday use I find the one I have is quite sharp and you have to pixel peep to tell the difference between that and the afore mentioned L. There's some fairly obvious barrel and a bit of pincushion at the two ends but nothing that can't be sorted out quickly in Photoshop, and that 135mm end is quite handy to have at times. Do make sure you buy from a reputable dealer/shop with a guarantee though, as the 28-135 is getting on a bit now and could be prone to issues with the zoom mechanism even in its heyday, but then again, for less than £150 for a mintish one, that's a lot of lens, zoom range and image quality for your money.

If you're looking for a walkabout type lens for the 1v then a Mk 1 24-105 L IS should work well and cover most eventualities and give good results. If on a tighter budget, then if you can find a good one in full working order, the old Canon EF 28-135 IS might be worth looking at. In everyday use I find the one I have is quite sharp and you have to pixel peep to tell the difference between that and the afore mentioned L. There's some fairly obvious barrel and a bit of pincushion at the two ends but nothing that can't be sorted out quickly in Photoshop, and that 135mm end is quite handy to have at times. Do make sure you buy from a reputable dealer/shop with a guarantee though, as the 28-135 is getting on a bit now and could be prone to issues with the zoom mechanism even in its heyday, but then again, for less than £150 for a mintish one, that's a lot of lens, zoom range and image quality for your money.

Thanks. I have no desire to walkabout with this I don’t think, but I only use single focal lengths with all my cameras. Either 50mm (or equivalent) or 35mm.
I dislike using zooms and don’t buy into having lenses for all scenarios and covering many focal lengths like a lot of people do. A single lens works well for me and if it’s not long/wide enough to get a certain shot, I don’t get it. :)

Thanks. I have no desire to walkabout with this I don’t think, but I only use single focal lengths with all my cameras. Either 50mm (or equivalent) or 35mm.
I dislike using zooms and don’t buy into having lenses for all scenarios and covering many focal lengths like a lot of people do. A single lens works well for me and if it’s not long/wide enough to get a certain shot, I don’t get it. :)

I quite like the 40mm f2.8 STM, almost makes the 300x pocketable.

I've always though about getting a nicer EOS film body, but after doing a bit of research I may just stick with the 300x after all.

Whilst the 1v and the 3 have more autofocus points, the 300x and 30v got the newer 35 zone matrix metering system as they where introduced later. 300x and 30v both got E-TTL 2 for the same reason.
The 30v has a better constructed body and eye focus, whilst the 300x is smaller and lighter.

Shame Canon pulled the plug on film SLRs before updating the 1 and 3 to the new matrix meter and E-TTL 2

I've always though about getting a nicer EOS film body, but after doing a bit of research I may just stick with the 300x after all.

Whilst the 1v and the 3 have more autofocus points, the 300x and 30v got the newer 35 zone matrix metering system as they where introduced later. 300x and 30v both got E-TTL 2 for the same reason.
The 30v has a better constructed body and eye focus, whilst the 300x is smaller and lighter.

Shame Canon pulled the plug on film SLRs before updating the 1 and 3 to the new matrix meter and E-TTL 2

Hmmm, I tend to use a handheld meter for everything these days and ignore the one in the camera anyway so all the fancy metering is a bit redundant with me.

The reason I wanted a metal brick like this is Incase I get back into shooting weddings again so mainly for the fast AF compared to my other 35mm offerings. the medium format I have doesn’t really lend itself to candid shooting.

However, it might be nice to just go out and shoot with it with the 50mm for a couple of rolls.....until I realise it’s soulless and prefer using the Leica. Ha. Although the one and a half stops extra light sucking will come in handy I’m sure!

I use the 40mm STM on my EOS 30, and it makes for a very light and compact set-up. The 30 is smaller, lighter and easier to lug about than the 3 but the build quality is nowhere near as good, with a reputedly rather fragile door catch and a battery cover that appears to rely on the flexibility of a pinched strip of plastic for a hinge! It's a shame as it performs really well, if only they'd made it a little bit more robust.

Hmmm, I tend to use a handheld meter for everything these days and ignore the one in the camera anyway so all the fancy metering is a bit redundant with me.

The reason I wanted a metal brick like this is Incase I get back into shooting weddings again so mainly for the fast AF compared to my other 35mm offerings. the medium format I have doesn’t really lend itself to candid shooting.

However, it might be nice to just go out and shoot with it with the 50mm for a couple of rolls.....until I realise it’s soulless and prefer using the Leica. Ha. Although the one and a half stops extra light sucking will come in handy I’m sure!

To be honest it sounds as though you're fighting against the tech in the camera. AF cameras are a completely different experience to fully manual ones, and if you try to make it into a manual SLR it's not going to be a very enjoyable experience.

Embrace the tech and let the computers do the work. If that isn't for you, it sounds as though you should probably stick with your Leica. Zone focusing is quicker than autofocus anyway...

To be honest it sounds as though you're fighting against the tech in the camera. AF cameras are a completely different experience to fully manual ones, and if you try to make it into a manual SLR it's not going to be a very enjoyable experience.

Embrace the tech and let the computers do the work. If that isn't for you, it sounds as though you should probably stick with your Leica. Zone focusing is quicker than autofocus anyway...

Like I said, I am embracing the autofocus and that's the reason I have bought it. It's the meter I probably wouldn't use much if at all. I have cameras with meters in now and choose to ignore them and use my handheld meter.

Back