who's using a Gitzo?

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

currently in the market for a Gitzo but it's horrendous the number of different models out there :-(

Tempted to go the CF route but it would need to support some heavy kit and will probably end up standing in salt water at some point - would also need a suitable head...

so, I'm wondering what people are using and any recommendations before I pull the trigger and buy one?...

I use a mixture of Gitzo and Induro kit, Ken. From the Gitzo side, a GT3540XLS with a Wimberley for the 600/4, a GT2531 with various heads for more general stuff and a G2227 with offset centre column for macro (prevents disturbing the grass/ bushes with the legs). I also use a GM2541 monopod when the need arises. They're all carbon and I've never had an issue with any of them.

Bob

I have a Gitzo 3540LS, one of the systematic range with no centre column and a Markins M10 sits atop it, tripod comes in at 55cm when closed so still very portable

For travelling light I use a Gitzo G1158 Mountaineer, shorter especially with the centre column down, but folds down small and very light too. For this its a smaller Photoclam head (clone of the Markins Q3) and like the Markins uses the Arca Swiss clamp system

Both tripods are carbon, they and the heads all work fine and wouldn't hesitate to replace like for like

I happened to see your wanted thread the other day and have to say in my opinion you would be hard pushed to get a much better deal than the tripod Steve offered for the money he was asking.

Last edited:
I have a 1542T, which I use with a Redsnapper RSH-61 ballhead. I got the head as a stopgap until I could absorb the cost of the legs and afford something better. However, at @ 270g the head is very light, and the combo can support a 1D MkIII with a 70-200L 2.8 MkII and 1.4x TC attached no problem, so I can't see any point in replacing it. The whole thing folds down small enough to fit nicely under the flap of my Thinktank Retro10, usually with a 24-105L, 17-40L and maybe a flash and I can carry it comfortably all day. My Redsnapper legs and RSH-12 head are used if I'm working out of the back of a car and I don't have to walk too far, as they weigh twice as much as the Gitzo combo. Being able to carry a portable support on a day out is a big plus for me. If I take the Gitzo out with a body with the big lens on then I carry it all in a Kata 3N1-30.

Like you say, there lots of models, so the only way to approach it is to start narrowing down what you actually want it for and its intended use, well thats what I did anyway :)

I ended up with A GT 3541 CF, light as a feather, steady as a rock! Having used Gitzo for a few years now, I certainly wouldn't go back to anything else.

Hi Guys,

currently in the market for a Gitzo but it's horrendous the number of different models out there :-(

Tempted to go the CF route but it would need to support some heavy kit and will probably end up standing in salt water at some point - would also need a suitable head...

so, I'm wondering what people are using and any recommendations before I pull the trigger and buy one?...
I have a 2 series gitzo and it can hold my 5d3 and 70 200 f2.8 canon lens fine

I've got a series 2 explorer with Manfrotto levelling base, Novoflex panorama plate and Manfrotto 405 geared head with Hejnar Arca Swiss conversion. It is carbon fibre but heavy with the head setup, still I've done some hiking in the highlands with it.

I've also a series 1 mountaineer with a Hejnar converted Manfrotto 410 that I use for jobs where I'm goof to have to do some scrambling around or long walks.

In terms of weight both take 35mm dslrs, medium format and a view camera, without issue or flexing.

Thanks for feedback Guys - well you all seem positive about them in various configurations, guess I'll just have to get my hands on a few to have a look at, stockists are somewhat limited in the area though :-(

If I were to go down the ball head route, anything I should steer clear of with regards to payload, sticking when wet/dirty etc?

I have, um, 3 Gitzos......

The Basalt ones are a good compromise between price and weight. FWIW I don't rate their heads as highly as their legs. They are good but there's better value for money around.

Back