Why 72dpi only?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I've just returned from a sports shoot and seen that all images are shown as 72dpi (PS Elements 2013 File info).
Does this affect any pp work I want to do using this same software, as I want to print at 300dpi.
Is there anything I need to change? Is it in camera, or just under image resize/save at the end of the process?
In short, am I losing anything shooting at 72dpi and how do I change it?

Just to add, you can happily shoot with a 72dpi setting in the file, then print at 300dpi - you just need to change it in the relevant dialogue when you print (this will depend on the software, you may need to change it before you go to print, but either way, it's just an instruction for the printer.
72dpi is used as that is a common value for displaying images on screen.

Thank you both. I was concerned that, as shown as 72dpi straight from the camera, i would lose resolution.
i can change with confidence upto 300 when I resize.

Thank you both. I was concerned that, as shown as 72dpi straight from the camera, i would lose resolution.
i can change with confidence upto 300 when I resize.

Yes but only necessary when resizing for print and is meaningless when simply resizing for the web for example.
All that value does it tells the printer how many image pixels you want per inch of paper.

The ppi setting you choose is dependant on the size of print you want and the size of the image in pixels. 300ppi is ideal but also not always necessary especially when printing larger images.

Back