Why all the 50mm

I don't think he is, the suggestion is everyone should buy a lens that is similar to the angle of view to that of the eye, when clearly that will never be any kind of criteria for buying one.
I can only speak for myself but I won't be buying a 35mm for my crop camera to shoot portraits, whether its eye-like or not.

I never said in my first post anything about portraits I was saying it was the standard lens for 35mm film as it is = to eyes for field of view The comment about portraits was in a later post as the 50mm on a crop camera it would make one

I got mine for a few reasons:

1) To experiment with DOF
2) To experiment with lowlight
3) To get a prime that would make me think more about composition than the zoom was.

When you're just starting out and you only have the kit lens and trying to learn, for me it taught me a shedload and I still use it periodically now. It cost me £70, they I looked at it, if I didn't like after a couple of months I could resell it and effectively would have paid £20 to hire a 50mm 1.8 for that time.

Of course people say the 1.4 etc are better, and for the price it should be, but when you're starting out and don't really know what you're doing this is a relatively risk free way to get a decent fast prime until you know better.

I never said in my first post anything about portraits I was saying it was the standard lens for 35mm film as it is = to eyes for field of view The comment about portraits was in a later post as the 50mm on a crop camera it would make one

I don't really know what your point is in the thread as a whole.

That is altering it, if you wish to quote only that, then only quote that part
I made no emphases on this in my post as you make it look like I did
Thank you

No Chaz, it's not altering it. As I said, it is simply highlighting the part of the post that I was replying to. As said by someone else, it is standard practise. Do you really have to turn everything into an argument?

Chaz surely for 90-99% of people the price is a consideration? I know it is for me.
If money was no object I'd have loads of lenses, I want a 300mm f/2.8 VR pretty badly, of course a 600mm f/4 VR would be nice. I quite like shooting wildlife and sports, but at the moment I just can't afford these lenses in the £4k+ range.
My 50/1.4 was a bargain, if it cost the sort of money an 85/1.4 or even 85/1.8 costs then I would have gone without.

I use the canon 60mm macro f2.8 this gives about 100mm equivalent on a 40D good for macro and portraits and quality is stunning! More pricey than a 50mm but as they say you get what you pay for.

I hope you dont mind me highlighting the bit I'm about to discuss, lol!!

This is the thing though, normally you do get what you paid for, but not with the Nifty Fifty as it punches far above its weight when it comes to IQ/price. Its that rare entity thats cheap, and very good, that one of the reasons I got mine!

As for focal lengths - I dont look too much into these in relation to crop ratios, I only compare it relatively to the focal lengths on lenses I already own which seems to be the best way for me to decide on focal lenths.

I have one not for the focal length but the speed/price ratio. It also makes an excellent portait lens IMO.

My mint S-M-C Tak 50mm f/1.4 cost less than a new EF 1.8 II and it's tack sharp.

I'm currently waiting on delivery for a S-M-C Tak 28mm f/3.5 which I'll be using as a walk around lens as it works out as 45mm on a Canon crop.

Reasons I got mine:

Great reviews
Cheap price
F/1.8
Smallest lens canon do
Lightest lens canon do

Agree with all that.

Its great for indoor shooting, stunning background blur and its small and light!! The "small" size of it also helps as it does not scare people as much as a huge zoom!!

If I am going out for a days shoot then it is easy to fit in my little bag with whatever zoom lens I am taking out.

Oh and I got mine from LCE second hand for £45 delivered!!

mine was my 2nd lens, i needed something for low light and sharp for portraits. seemed to fit the bill and I'm happy(y)

as for the bolding of quotes, i think it is far better than part quoting judging by the amount of people complaining they left the important part out of the, recently.

Back