Beginner Why are my photos such a failure?

All you have to remember is that you dont gave to get it right in camera, but it ia better to it saves work later, but its sometimes is nesercary to use a photo package to crop or brighten.

All you have to remember is that you dont gave to get it right in camera, but it ia better to it saves work later, but its sometimes is nesercary to use a photo package to crop or brighten.

Hence the earlier advice to shoot in RAW if possible - entirely possible that the onboard process to create JPG from RAW in camera is a compromise for speed, and that doing the conversion in PC yields a better shot even without editing.

JPG from camera is analogous to the prints from the chemist - someone (or something - the camera) else's interpretation of a standard conversion.

RAW -> JPG in PC - you're in your own darkroom with more (full?) control.

You'll eat up a hell of a lot of card space in doing it - but when a 64GB card can hold 1000+ shots, I don't think that's too big a consideration.

Hi there! New here and this thread seemed to answer the eternal question I ask myself all the time.

I particularly like your train in the station shot (roof). I’d say the biggest problem isn’t the photography, it’s just the post work. Imagine yourself adding some Instagram filters to your shots, Lightroom is a great beginner program that gives as much as you need it to. Add a bit of warmth, some contrast, make your colours pop a bit and you’ll feel so much better about your work.

im with the consensus of the others ,poor light ,j.peg shots ( but raw is a minefield for a beginner) you could up your j.peg settings in menu . plus and mainly subject matter these are just bland shots of your locale with little or nothing interesting to hold the viewers interest . find something you really like and stick to that and only that to gradually improve .i.e landscape ,wildlife, birds , hills ,vehicles ,planes ,trains etc etc . there is nothing wrong with the camera I will post one in here in a bit from when I had one .

This is what the camera is capable of once you learn how to use it
two wheeler by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
@jivko2

Keep going out with that camera practice will win in the end. I can't add anything really everything as been said plus i'm far from an expert.

I was amazed to see these photos as they are all taken about 5 mins in a car from my home.

Our place is just passed the Level Crossing/Railway pub Berry brow.

Good luck.

Gaz

Before you start using raw, just concentrait on getting the image content right, just think like you are viewing someone elses images. If your eye wanders all over the image then unless that was your intension , then others are going to do the same. Sometimes clutter for want of a better word is unavoidable that can be sorted later. You are not going to get everything rifght at once, so focus on one asspect at once , eg composition, colour. Composition in my opinion is more important because iys no use have good colour , with a no so good image. So just keep going at it and you will get there. Good luck

This is my first post, and I have to say I had a similar problem, moving from taking snaps to "interesting" pictures is what I found difficult.
My first step was to join a camera club, watch what other people do, and go from there, it's not easy, but nothing worth doing is easy.

First of all; none of your pictures are 'failures'. Not at all. Don't think that.

As mentioned, lots of your shots are very 'busy'; there's a lot going on, but not much of it very interesting, as a whole. There's a tram, there's a person walking, there's a building, there's a tree, etc etc. All in the same image. Try to look at a scene, and find just ONE thing about it that interests you. Is it the building? The person walking? The tram? The tree? Those shots are perfectly fine as general visual information, but not very interesting as photographic art, if that's what you're trying for.

Try using the principle of Occam's Razor. When you look at a scene, cut out the stuff you don't need. What story are you trying to tell? Very often, less really is more, with photography. Think about how many good portraits are just of the subject, with no other information in the frame. A landscape can include everything in the scene, and work really well, but only if all the elements work well together.

One image I found more interesting, was this one:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=bXZhcDRQVElKYkI1ZU5qS2R5NUJkMG13dXZvRkp3

I like the rows of houses, the diagonal lines of the roofs, and the nasty looking fencing in front of them. Gives it a harsh, inhospitable feeling. Now think about telling that same story, but in a simpler way. For example; what if you framed the shot so that you only focussed on the tips of the railings, with their sharp spikes, and rendered the background, the line of roofs, out of focus (by selecting a large aperture). Done in B+W, I think that would be a lot more powerful, in terms of telling a 'story'. But that's my individual take on it. Everyone's got a unique view and perspective.

With some of the other images; maybe concentrate on sections of the scene more; like just the arched roof girders in the train station, they have their own patterns. Or just zoom right in on some of the windows of the old factory buildings. Pick out the details. Again; less is more. Try to break scenes down to their fundamental elements; the shapes, colours and patterns.

As a beginner, it will take time to develop your 'eye'; your own unique way of seeing. But take time to look at as many other photographers' work as you can; you have the whole of the internet!

Good luck. And remember; CrossRail wasn't built in a day. Actually, it's still not bloody finished, and massively over budget...

Last edited:
Back