Why are some lenses flattering for facial pictures

167729319fba5e8ffad94cdd6a846e2c.jpg

http://stepheneastwood.com/tutorials/lensdistortion/IMAGES/tile1.jpg

I think this illustrates it well, I saw a while back and mentally bookmarked for such a discussion :)

But what does it illustrate????

It only illustrates that you have to get closer to the subject to get the subject the same size.
It does not illustrate lens distortion.
It also illustrates the different perspectives drawn at different viewpoints (distances)
It says nothing about the distortion of lenses.

Unfortunately the web is full of misinformation (oft repeated) by those with little or no understanding of optics. and perspective.

Lens designers go to great lengths to ensure that their photographic lenses produce rectilinear images with out adverse distortions.
Less expensive lenses do have noticeable residual distortions and aberrations, but not of the kind shown here.
Even some extremely sharp expensive lenses now limit their correction of aberrations and leave those more effectively corrected in firmware. This is true of the more outstanding Fuji lenses.

Even Fisheye lenses show no distortion when plotted on to a 360x180 sperical panorama. but do so when plotted onto a flat surface.

Last edited:
But what does it illustrate????

It only illustrates that you have to get closer to the subject to get the subject the same size.
It does not illustrate lens distortion.
It also illustrates the different perspectives drawn at different viewpoints (distances)
It says nothing about the distortion of lenses.

Unfortunately the web is full of misinformation (oft repeated) by those with little or no understanding of optics. and perspective.

Lens designers go to great lengths to ensure that their photographic lenses produce rectilinear images with out adverse distortions.
Less expensive lenses do have noticeable residual distortions and aberrations, but not of the kind shown here.
Even some extremely sharp expensive lenses now limit their correction of aberrations and leave those more effectively corrected in firmware. This is true of the more outstanding Fuji lenses.

Even Fisheye lenses show no distortion when plotted on to a 360x180 sperical panorama. but do so when plotted onto a flat surface.

It illustrates what was being discussed in the thread. Maybe read the whole thread rather than just the OP?

It illustrates what was being discussed in the thread. Maybe read the whole thread rather than just the OP?

Why do you think I have not..? as I had.
My comments stand. As they fill in what the illustration does not, as it leads one to suppose that the focal length has something to do with distortion when it does not.

Back