why are some tripods so expensive?

I use a manfrotto 055 , it's quite heavy but rock solid. And also can do a wide range of angles.
But defo not for carrying over a great distances
:plus1:

I'm not sure why people try to buy one tripod that will do everything - because it's not going to do anything well.

I have 4 tripods -
  • A tall, solid, heavy job for use at home, or within 20 yards of the car.
  • A shorter, flimsier, lighter (but still fairly solid) item for hiking long distances (well, more than 20 yards).
  • One with hyper-adjustable legs and centre-column, for precise positioning of macros.
  • A super-light, fragile, flimsy item for air travel.

I'm not sure why people try to buy one tripod that will do everything - because it's not going to do anything well.

I have 4 tripods -
  • A tall, solid, heavy job for use at home, or within 20 yards of the car.
  • A shorter, flimsier, lighter (but still fairly solid) item for hiking long distances (well, more than 20 yards).
  • One with hyper-adjustable legs and centre-column, for precise positioning of macros.
  • A super-light, fragile, flimsy item for air travel.

That's the most versatile but at the same time the most expensive way to go. Some of might just prefer an extra lens or speedlite.

No it isn`t. One tripod will not do everything, they cannot be a travel tripod one day and hold a 600 F4 the next.

The second hand market is awash with good tripods, getting differing ones in that market makes sense to me.

Back