Why do a lot of people these days have to let everybody else know.......

To me i think if you get annoyed, its a hint of jelousy.

Work hard, earn the money, buy the toys..... you cant knock anyone for that

I can if they shove it in my face !!

And as far as jealousy goes, I'm rather happy, knowing I am NOT Stuart !!

:D

Usual forum text misunderstandings ;) Sorry this is a subject I am particularly passionate about!! :D

Gary.

Don't worry. No owner of a Mazda Bongo Friendlie has managed to keep the 'passionate' title.:nono:

Gee thanks FITP :D

Gary, please dont think I am labelling you, I was just saying this guy is a cock because of his attitude. Yes you may have more money than some, but I am sure you dont act the same.

On another note, I know a guy with more money than he knows what to do with, but he is such a nice guy, unfortunatley he feels the need to brag as well, thats a tough one to deal with :(

Anyway, enough witty repartee, I have to go pick some vegetables if I want to eat this evening.

As long as you dont feel the need to brag to everyone about it, it doesnt earn anyones respect.

i agree, but there is a line between bragging and just telling people you love your new toy.

Last edited:
i agree, but there is a line between bragging and just telling people you love your new toy.

Ok, I agree with this, its all how you say it I guess :)

Did you agree with the Stuart story though? He felt the need to brag to my dad about his new £80 shirt when my dad could hardly afford to go out, what side of the line is that on? :D

I would rather be a poor man with many friends, as opposed to a rich man with no friends.

You may mock, but when you get called a "snob" and "greedy b*stard" by direct family and close "friends", it stings - a lot.

Gary.

^^ they aint friends if they call you that, and who cares about family just because you are related! shouldn't have to feel 'required' to be friendly with them simply because of blood ties! but agree, money doesn't by friends/happieness....thus why my man gets driven insane when I leave the comfy country house and go off to stay in my shoebox of a dingy little place in London and 'struggle' through the 'hardships' like all other Londoners do.... more fun and many many more friends :D lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys I would love to join in on the debate but I am finishing early today so will keep it quick. Have known Gary for years and lets just say he keeps me on my toes with regards to keeping up with the joneses. He is a great chap with more money than sense but he only brags to me as he knows it will result in drastic and immediate action :)

Which is why I am finishing for the day, off to pick up my new D700 and battery grip!

Michael.

Did you agree with the Stuart story though? He felt the need to brag to my dad about his new £80 shirt when my dad could hardly afford to go out, what side of the line is that on? :D

The guy is a knob, end of story. He should be ashamed.

Gary.

Awww the green thread...

If you take a photo your proud of.. you want everyone to see it.. you tell them how you took it, what with, where and when.. your proud and your shouting about it..

Whats the difference if you have worked your rocks off year after year until your in a position to buy yourself a nice car or a rolex... show off I say! if you earned it then flaunt it. There are limits to being an annoying git if you go too far... But hey.. you achieve somehting then show off... brilliant picture, published picture.. new car .. show off and sod the party poopers who want to rain on your parade just because they havent achieved what you have..

For the record... mines an old vauxhall astra thats making funny noises :) But whenn i am a millioanaire I will show off :) :)

Last edited:
^^^^ that's what i said!!!!!! just dont cross the 'rude' line :D

i feel i may have missed somthing, was it a previous thread as been away most of the weekend, so havnt been online much.

But... from the comment made above id say hes a complete and utter cock, and if i were your dad id accidentally spill something on him.:LOL:

I personally wouldn't go "show off" something to someone with very little money, as i think its rude, but i do it to close friends, but its all lighthearted.

I do the opposite, I tell people how much my stuff is because Ive bagged such a fricking awesome bargain :D

This dress? Cost me £4 :D

Yeah but is it still a bargain if you spend £300 on the shoes to match? ;)

The bottom line is that annoying people will always be annoying people and if they weren't grating your goat because they had loads of wad, it would be something else.

Frankly, I've never really got to grips with the value of money, mine or anyone elses.

Just read higher up the page Monkey :LOL:

Put it this way, if you are well off, and your friends are not, do you think its acceptable to brag about your latest purchases costing however many thousands of pounds? No, its not. Every situation is different, if you and all your friends are rich and are bragging about your latest car, then its just a willy waving contest :LOL:

This is not aimed at anyone, just a general view on where I stand on the matter :)

Edit: Sod off dazzaj, those shoes were a Christmas present :D:D

Just read higher up the page Monkey :LOL:

Put it this way, if you are well off, and your friends are not, do you think its acceptable to brag about your latest purchases costing however many thousands of pounds? No, its not. Every situation is different, if you and all your friends are rich and are bragging about your latest car, then its just a willy waving contest :LOL:

This is not aimed at anyone, just a general view on where I stand on the matter :)

Edit: Sod off dazzaj, those shoes were a Christmas present :D:D
:bonk:

read it now, yes he is a cock, lol

The thing that makes it bragging to me is quoting the price.

If he simply said, do you like my new shirt, then he simply likes his clothes and is seeking opinions from others. When he quotes the price he is bragging and is a cock.

Whenever i tell someone ive bought something, i never quote a price unless someone specifically asks what i paid for it.

Oh, and nice dress , but its a little soft, try moving away from the fireplace and use a shallow DOF :LOL:

Last edited:
Whenever i tell someone ive bought something, i never quote a price unless someone specifically asks what i paid for it.

But like I said earlier, there are different ways of doing it. I like telling people how much I spent on my clothes, because they know how good I am at bargain hunting, and an outfit I wear never totals £20 :D

Oh, and nice dress , but its a little soft, try moving away from the fireplace and use a shallow DOF :LOL:

Smartarse :D

an outfit I wear never totals £20 :D

Nor mine, but I end up looking like Compo and you end up like

bargain1.jpg

It's just not fair :LOL:

But like I said earlier, there are different ways of doing it. I like telling people how much I spent on my clothes, because they know how good I am at bargain hunting, and an outfit I wear never totals £20 :D

yes, if its an absolute bargain then it cant cause offence.

Got anymore shots of different outfits.

Personally id love to see your bikini bargains:p

very dis-tasteful (probably spelt wrong!) to advise 'how much' one has paid for something, unless on-sale, i.e. i bought a new (so-and-so make) pc that was £1400 i got it onsale for £1000!

^^although that may still be bordering on being overly obvious so to speak :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think money has very little to do with it, it's just people stereotype the cocks with money to include all people with money.

I'm far from rich, my bank account is more often displaying a red balance than a black balance and for the past 3-4 years I've really just been keeping my head afloat. I have lots of very rich friends and none of them are cocks... sure they would be proud of their new toys but then I'm the exact same about new stuff no matter what the cost of it.

Somebody who goes out of their way to boast about how much their latest purchase cost most likely bought it because it was expensive and they want to boast about how much it was...

I think a lot of people also just assume somebody with money is trying to show off when they are excited about buying something while this may be true about some people (like the previously mentioned Stuart) a great many of them are just like everybody else and excited about getting something new.

I usually find people who talk about the price of their car will be referring to the bargain they have got. Be it a brand new car, second hand or an old banger.
I realise some people will struggle for money for what ever reason, I've been there at times. But I've carried on through and not really taken any notice of what others have or brag about having.

Well this is the topic in our family at the moment, other members of our family are always asking us what we spent on this, that, and the other, they kind off think that a guy in a wheelchair is skint :eek:, but when we ask them a question regarding a expenditure they have forgot how much it cost's:shrug:.

So me a the wife have decided not to tell anymore it's been getting on our nerves for a while, although when i wheeled into Goldsmith's...upps :rules:sorry :shake: Cart go there :LOL:

Regards Mark

^^^^^^^ do our signatures brag or are we saying something different ^^^^^

Should i remove mine and put somthing else, but then i am a proud canon owner, and like my len's....what should i do, is it seen as bragging ???

Or do we just assume what people are using, i know i was researching a portrait len's that's how i came upon the 24 -105mm in someones Sig and fell on a cracking deal, so in a way len's in Sig's are a kind of reference (y):thumbsdown: ?????

Regards mark.

Ok let's put another prospective on it.
Ii spent years scrimping and saving to raise to kids on one income, we survived & I now have to happy healthy well adjusted grown up daughters who know the value of money.
I did without so we didn't run up huge debts and now I amreaping the benefits of actually having 2 incomes and no debts to pay, not even a mortgage anymore.
Do I feeel good, you bet, at last I can go out and buy the things I missed out on, and I finally have the camera gear I've always dreamed of, still feel gulty about wasting money but not for long.
Cars, well as long as they get me from A to B without too much hassle that's all I ask.
So just remember that in a few year's time you could be in the same position.

Ok let's put another prospective on it.
Ii spent years scrimping and saving to raise to kids on one income, we survived & I now have to happy healthy well adjusted grown up daughters who know the value of money.
I did without so we didn't run up huge debts and now I amreaping the benefits of actually having 2 incomes and no debts to pay, not even a mortgage anymore.
Do I feeel good, you bet, at last I can go out and buy the things I missed out on, and I finally have the camera gear I've always dreamed of, still feel gulty about wasting money but not for long.
Cars, well as long as they get me from A to B without too much hassle that's all I ask.
So just remember that in a few year's time you could be in the same position.

Thats pretty much my story at the mo.

I guess I do get a little jealous at times, but mostly not of the things people own, but more the fact that they can afford it.

I'll start another thread with a little bit about me !

If someone works hard and can afford a D3, Canon equivalent, mahoosive lens , nice car or a big house.............best of luck to them, whatsit matter?

this wouldn't be a good time to mention I just bought an EF 200mm f2 IS lens then

.......how much money they've got.

^^ I would have put that in the title but there wasn't enough room :)

I get really quite offended by people who do this.

Fair enough if the topic of conversation is about specific things, eg: your salary, but when folk just sprout completely out of the blue about how much they earned "doing a foriegner over the weekend" and just how easy it was, or what new car they've just bought and how much it was......

Does my head in !!!

Are there a lot of insecure people about these days ?

Is there a great need to show off in this manner ?

For those of you reading this who do it, do you think about what other people might think, or feel.

This isn't a dig at anyone specific on here, just a general thing I've noticed on the increase over the last few years.

:shrug:

As the song goes."A man can make money but money does not make a man"

If someone works hard and can afford a D3, Canon equivalent, mahoosive lens , nice car or a big house.............best of luck to them, whatsit matter?

You've missed the point. Its all about HOW they show it off, or how they go about showing how proud they are.

If you were unemployed, struggling to live with very little or no money, would you appreciate it if a mate of yours came up to you and bragged about his new car, "Only 40k!" says he. How would that make you feel?

Betty you would do well in Scotland.. Bragging rights is all about how cheap you managed to get something :D My missus would love a bargain like that too.

Mostly if someone tells you how much they paid for something there's a queue to tell you how much you could have saved if you bought it else where :)

Back