Why do people fav photos on flickr in vast numbers

Name
mick
Edit My Images
No
i had a photo faved by a couple of people..and when I looked they both had something like 5 thousand pages of favourite photos each. :wacky:

am I missing something ? is it sinister or what? cant figure it out myself.

They probably just have a broader idea of a favourite than you or me. Perhaps they use the favourite button just as they would the "like" feature on Facebook.

mik0m said:
i had a photo faved by a couple of people..and when I looked they both had something like 5 thousand pages of favourite photos each. :wacky:

There are sites that give advice on how to get on Explore. This advice includes fave as many photos as you can.

mik0m said:

Because they want to

I'm one of those people. :wave:

I do it, personally, because I get frustrated when I remember a photo I really liked in a week or two, but cannot find it again, no matter how hard I look. If i favourite, i'll never have that frustration.

Basically, to revisit photos I like whenever I want to.

Is that ok?

I don't tend to favourite anywhere near as many images as i should, but as Reddragon suggests, it's often used as a 'like' button when I don't necessarily want to leave a comment. I do add a lot of people as contacts, usually people off TP or those photographers who have a nice photostream that I can see evolving really well.

As has already been said there are those out there that favourite loads of photo's, as this is reckoned to be a way to get explored, I have about 250 favourites :LOL: maybe that explains why I've only been explored twice :LOL: I also don't comment all that often, mainly because when I comment I like to leave a meaningful comment rather than that's great type comments...

I can think of one particular person with over a million favourites :LOL: all of his photo's have thousands of views and hundreds comments etc, some do it just to get people to come and view there photo's and comment etc personally I think that this particular persons photo's are utter cack hence not mentioning any names :eek:

Matt
MWHCVT

thanks for the above......I didnt know about explore and all that probably just me then not quite comprehending fully the idea behind it all

It's a bit like people who "follow" loads of people in the hope that they will get "followed" in return.

I can't think of anything more annoying than having a huge "follow" list - much prefer a well pruned list of photographers who produce top quality work.

If I see a photo on FlickR that I really, really like I'll favourite so that I can easily find it again. I'd imagine that is what the function was intended for. I've probably got less than 20 in total.

There's one guy on my Flickr page that has favourited every single image on my photostreem! It's done in blocks of 30 images or so and fills my recent activities. Am guessing he wants comments on his but it annoys me so much I refuse to comment even if I like his shots.

There's one guy on my Flickr page that has favourited every single image on my photostreem! It's done in blocks of 30 images or so and fills my recent activities. Am guessing he wants comments on his but it annoys me so much I refuse to comment even if I like his shots.

In case your not aware you can actually block people on flickr, I've only done it in one case and that was because the person was being quite abusive :LOL: all because I had caught her breaking the rules on a particular forum and didn't like it when I pointed it out :D

In case your not aware you can actually block people on flickr, I've only done it in one case and that was because the person was being quite abusive :LOL: all because I had caught her breaking the rules on a particular forum and didn't like it when I pointed it out :D

:D I think that would be a little harsh as he's only a young lad. It started off with just my kite surfing shots (his bro's a kiter) and now its got out of hand. I normally save that button for blatant spamming and the likes. Maybe I should just send him a nice msg saying that if you can't be bothered to comment then don't favourite, or something similar. :thinking:

:D I think that would be a little harsh as he's only a young lad. It started off with just my kite surfing shots (his bro's a kiter) and now its got out of hand. I normally save that button for blatant spamming and the likes. Maybe I should just send him a nice msg saying that if you can't be bothered to comment then don't favourite, or something similar. :thinking:

Yeah but if it's becoming a PITA for you and is effecting your use of flickr then where's the issue, ultimately he is likely only doing to further his flickr presence :cautious:

Back