Why do people fly-tip?

Garry Edwards

Name
Garry Edwards
Edit My Images
No
Well, I don't condone it and would never do it, but I now understand why some people might . . .

We loaded up a horsebox trailer and took it to our local Recycling Centre at Scarborough. We do this very occasionally, haven't done it since before the first lockdown, have never had any problems in the past.

Anyway, when I got there I was told that they no longer allow any trailers to use their site. When I asked why, the answer was "Because of Coronavirus" which is clearly nonsense, IMO just an excuse to give themselves less to do. I was told that they do have another site, a few miles further away, that does accept trailers but only ones that are less than 1.8m long, so no use to us or probably to most other people.

And then, not their fault, but when I was turning the trailer around to get out, one of the tyres went over something on the ground and burst. I didn't have a spare and had to drive 8 miles back with 3 wheels on my wagon . . .

Looking at their website afterwards, it does say that trailers are no longer allowed, but that page is buried.
"Our Household Waste Recycling Centres will remain open, with some restrictions, during lockdown. But you should stay at home as much as possible to limit the spread of coronavirus, so please only use them if you have to.

To allow us to operate the centres safely, the following rules will be in place:
  • Large trailers will not be allowed into centres during this time. Small trailers (up to an internal length of 1.8m) are only allowed at the following sites: Whitby , Leeming, West Harrogate, Selby, Seamer Carr, Skipton, Stokesley, Thornton-le-dale, Sowerby and Northallerton. No horseboxes or livestock trailers are allowed at these sites."

We've now ordered an expensive skip, but I can see that some people might be tempted to fly-tip instead.

Last edited:
I have similar frustrations with my local recycling center. It is already badly located within town, the entrance just 20m from the junction with a busier road so it is not uncommon that queues back up onto this main road with people waiting to get in which causes gridlock.

Their latest strategy to solve this is to put marshals at the junction to move on anyone waiting on the main road, thus limiting the que to the center to just 20m, the only option is to keep driving round and hope that on your next pass there will be space to turn in.

On the occasion that I visited and found this new system I must have gone around the block half a dozen times trying to turn in, each time beaten by someone else who was seemingly more immune to Murphy's law than myself. Eventually I gave up and drove half hour to the next nearest recycling center only to find that they had implemented the same system, fortunately this one had room for a longer queue so I could get straight in, but it was still an hours wait to get into the site itself. From door to door it took over three hours to do a single tip run, if that doesn't lead to increased fly tipping I will eat my hat.

Last edited:
Blunt force rules without some common sense latitude :(

Having said that I think fly tipping needs to be taken way more seriously as there appear to be 'certain' people/organised teams that do it on an almost industrial scale :mad:(n):bat::bat::bat::bat::bat:

I've always said that if councils make it hard for people to dispose of rubbish, they are just encouraging more fly-tipping.

I've yet to be proved wrong . . .

Been saying this for ages. The council make it hard for people to dispose of rubbish and that will be one factor as to why people will fly-tip.

Our local council now charges for people to dispose of rubble (bricks, concrete flags, etc.) at their recycling centres, apparently due to the cost of disposing of it as landfill. Now, wouldn't it be a better idea to get a crusher plant in and convert the rubble to 'crush and run', which they could sell to the construction industry? I'm sure some private pant hire/waste disposal company would be happy to negotiate a contract fee for this, or just take it off the council's hands for free if they could crush it and sell it on?

Our council sites are OK, the conditions are clear on the website - in fact they are extremely clear.

It states that if your numberplate has an even number you can go there on even number days and if your numberplate has an odd number you can go there on odd number days.
It then has a list of even and odd numbers.
It then shows pictures of a numberplate pointing out the number.
It then has a list of actual dates for the month showing which ones are even and which ones are odd.

After all that you can almost guarantee that someone will turnup on the wrong day!

After all that you can almost guarantee that someone will turnup on the wrong day!

And argue the toss with a totally unintelligible personalised registration plate! :LOL:

Last edited:
Reactions: RIR
The council have a lorry here with a cage on the back, they spend the the daying going around collecting large items that people have dumped.
Some have cottoned onto this and after dark dump their crap on the corner of road junctions ready to be collected the following day.
You name it, some numptie has dumped it.

Here in Tunbridge Wells, Kent there are various restrictions like above BUT you have book an appointment beforehand on-line, No exceptions

Here in Tunbridge Wells, Kent there are various restrictions like above BUT you have book an appointment beforehand on-line, No exceptions

There are plans to implement that here, it's being trialed at a few tips in the county, and you will be restricted t one visit per week, I doubt I make one trip a month

My 95 year old mum had to pay £20 to have a mattress taken away. It had to be left outside for over two weeks. I didn't know but the new bed supplier would have taken it for £25! Doh! During the two weeks she had folks offering to dispose of it for a tenner (cash in hand) which she refused!

Next they will be asking you to itemise everything your bringing with you

Last edited:

That's been the case here in South Beds since the tips reopened after the 1st lockdown. I do wonder if it will continue post covid.

We have to book an appointment for our recycling centre (Kent again) and apparently it is quite difficult. We used to have five recycling points in local supermarket car parks, there are now two. The three which were suddenly closed now have "flytipping is illegal signs" in the space where the bins used to stand.

I have similar frustrations with my local recycling center. It is already badly located within town, the entrance just 20m from the junction with a busier road so it is not uncommon that queues back up onto this main road with people waiting to get in which causes gridlock.
It's like that here.
Close to a roundabout, and the same road leads to B&Q so on busy days it's total bedlam.....

Only restrictions at our local one is maximum of 52 visits a year. Their really helpful there as well often helping you unload your car if you want or carry heavy things with you.

Agreed fly tipping is a problem worse in some areas than others , but what gets my back up is when day trippers descend on our beaches and beauty spots up here in north wales ,it looks like the aftermath of a pop festival , they bring it in carrier bags put the rubbish in them and take it home simples .

I'm lucky that we use a skip at work so smaller stuff I just throw in there. Anything more household or furniture we have a garden clearance guy we use who is great. Just such less hassle and he's pretty well priced too.

I'm lucky that we use a skip at work so smaller stuff I just throw in there. Anything more household or furniture we have a garden clearance guy we use who is great. Just such less hassle and he's pretty well priced too.
How do you know he doesn't fly tip your rubbish? :LOL:

Ours is ridiculous. Put a few bags of hedge clippings in the back of my navara pickup a year or two ago. Get there and some little Hitler comes tearing out of the office screaming at me, saying I can't be in there in a pickup as it's a commercial vehicle. I tell him it isn't, it's my car, but he won't have it. I ask if I can just dump the few bags this time around... NO.

So I drive home, swap the bags into my land rover, drive back and all is peachy.
How the hell does that make any sense.

Next they will be asking you to itemise everything your bringing with you

Because I have a van, i have to apply for a permit to go to my local tip, you have to apply online and it asks you to list what you are tipping, and it gets checked 90% of the time by the workers there!

Our tip is getting increasingly difficult to dispose of normal waste through. Any kind of hardcore is chargeable if it's detected, ditto old kitchen units and worktops (therefore tempting people to burn them even if they don't fly-tip). They DO still take asbestos FOC in smaller quantities by pre-arrangement if suitably wrapped. My expectation is they'll be privatised/profitable in the next few years.

I wouldn't have thought so. He is a proper, sign written van, registered person but if he does that's his issue & guilt not mine ;) :ROFLMAO:
No, it's your legal responsibility to ensure that he's a licenced waste carrier.

No, it's your legal responsibility to ensure that he's a licenced waste carrier.

And IIRC it's also your responsibility (if you're a business) to give him a signed document every year detailing the waste types he has disposed of.

Our tip is getting increasingly difficult to dispose of normal waste through. Any kind of hardcore is chargeable if it's detected, ditto old kitchen units and worktops (therefore tempting people to burn them even if they don't fly-tip). They DO still take asbestos FOC in smaller quantities by pre-arrangement if suitably wrapped. My expectation is they'll be privatised/profitable in the next few years.
I've done some checking and find that all of the sites in North Yorkshire are privately owned. Presumably they're being paid by North Yorkshire County Council to provide the service, and make more money by making their service as inaccessible as possible.

most councils nowadays seem to be just a bit s*** at pretty much everything.
pretty much i just chuck it all in the wheely bin.

You quoted me but didn't read it? I'm sure I said he's a proper waste clearance guy didn't I?
I think you'll find that Garry posted that in response to you saying that if he did fly tip your rubbish then that's his issue and guilt, not yours....which unfortunately isn't correct....

You quoted me but didn't read it? I'm sure I said he's a proper waste clearance guy didn't I?
I did read it, you said that
I wouldn't have thought so. He is a proper, sign written van, registered person but if he does that's his issue & guilt not mine ;) :ROFLMAO:
He may have a signwritten van, which means nothing, and I don't know what a "registered person" is.
The reality is that unless you can prove that he is a licenced waste carrier (easily done by asking to see his waste carrier licence and writing down the registration number as evidence) you will be liable if he disposes of it illegally. And don't think that it can't happen, people often include envelopes with their addresses on with their rubbish, old utility bills and so on.

Unfortunately, I believe you are responsible for your waste until it reaches a Licenced Waste Management Centre, even if you've used a genuine skip hire company with a Waste Carriers Licence. Furthermore, the EA (or SEPA in Scotland) may inspect the waste to find information which will identify the source.

The best way to keep yourself 100% right is to get a copy of the Waste Transfer Note from the licenced Waste Management Centre where the skip hire company has taken the skip, whether it be themselves or somewhere else. Although to be honest, in my opinion, I think it would be considered reasonable for a domestic customer to assume the skip hire firm is dealing with the waste correctly. Perhaps not so much leniency when it comes to B2B.

Unfortunately, I believe you are responsible for your waste until it reaches a Licenced Waste Management Centre, even if you've used a genuine skip hire company with a Waste Carriers Licence. Furthermore, the EA (or SEPA in Scotland) may inspect the waste to find information which will identify the source.

The best way to keep yourself 100% right is to get a copy of the Waste Transfer Note from the licenced Waste Management Centre where the skip hire company has taken the skip, whether it be themselves or somewhere else. Although to be honest, in my opinion, I think it would be considered reasonable for a domestic customer to assume the skip hire firm is dealing with the waste correctly. Perhaps not so much leniency when it comes to B2B.

We have been considering buying one of the Biffa Bags sizes.......and getting Biffa to remove it. I can only surmise that they will dispose of the waste in a proper manner?

I think you'll find that Garry posted that in response to you saying that if he did fly tip your rubbish then that's his issue and guilt, not yours....which unfortunately isn't correct....

It is his issue and guilt. If some old wooden fencing and furniture end up in a layby how would I even know to have any feelings towards it?

I did read it, you said that

He may have a signwritten van, which means nothing, and I don't know what a "registered person" is.
The reality is that unless you can prove that he is a licenced waste carrier (easily done by asking to see his waste carrier licence and writing down the registration number as evidence) you will be liable if he disposes of it illegally. And don't think that it can't happen, people often include envelopes with their addresses on with their rubbish, old utility bills and so on.

Well, it's pretty obvious that by 'registered' I mean that he's a Licensed Waste Carrier. My apologies for not using and remembering the exact, correct terminology.

Read my post directly above.

Agreed fly tipping is a problem worse in some areas than others , but what gets my back up is when day trippers descend on our beaches and beauty spots up here in north wales ,it looks like the aftermath of a pop festival , they bring it in carrier bags put the rubbish in them and take it home simples .

At the start of lockdown, that was happening down in Kent. We live near a nature reserve and because the weather was good last March/April it was full of large groups of people, ignoring social distancing, leaving rubbish and the aftermath of BBQ's everywhere. It is totally disgusting behaviour.

It is his issue and guilt. If some old wooden fencing and furniture end up in a layby how would I even know to have any feelings towards it?
Unfortunately the law says otherwise. If the guy is caught, it's entirely within the council's remit to get the names of his customers and go after each and every one. Although this hasn't happened at that level (so far as I know) there have been individual prosecutions...
A recent case saw a householder in Somerset fined for using a contractor who advertised on Facebook to dispose of their waste. The contractor did not dispose of the waste responsibly as the householder believed they would, and instead fly tipped it. The waste was traced back to the house holder who was then fined by the courts for not using a legitimate firm.

Householders Can be Fined For Not Using Certified Company | Reston Waste

Back