Why do so many people have big telephotos?

I've been reading it, beyond the ill informed regarding the distortion and "because that's what you shoot", it wasn't really the answers I was looking for.

Perhaps the opening post worded it wrong, I was and it is just an observation that lots of beginners seems to gravitate towards LONG focal lenses. Statistically speaking, you would think the spread would be much wider, like people would go for am ultra wide angle just as much but it seems, as least looking at the pages here, that is a lot less.

I am just curious why people gravitate towards these big lenses, not just "because it suits what I shoot". I would expect there would be an equal spread of lenses ownership. But posts such as "because that's what I like to shoot" doesn't really answer the question and I am not sure how to get into the psyche of someone just starting out. Do they get these lenses because that's what they should get, or because its cheap, or because it's what they need?

How many people when they started out just buy body only then get a prime?

Either way, I was just curious.

(Does that answer your question?)
For people who started with an interest in photography, there is probably a normal spread in focal lengths being used. But a lot of people are not primarily Interested in photography. A very great many people are interested in birds (birding is probably a more common hobby than photography) who then go on to buy photographic kit to record what they have seen. Those people probably only ever use very long lenses.

Last edited:
I started with an Sony A200 and the 18-70 kit lens, and soon after added a 50 f/1.7 and 75-300 (both second hand Minolta lenses that added options for a bargain price).

I suspect the reason it looks like beginners go for long lenses is that most kit lenses are in the 18-50 sort of range - and 18 seems pretty wide at first, it's easy to take a couple of steps back and to get more into the image.
But to get 'closer' than the 50 in the way a 70-300 will you need to walk a lot further - so a 70-300, if you're still a beginner (so probably don't have a particular style, etc) looks a better choice - it gives more options.

Was at the Yorkshire Wildlife Park last week and a loud child asked his dad "why does everyone have humongous cameras?" To with he replied "I'd have one too if I didn't have any children" he had about 5.

It's a necessary tool that suits a necessary purpose.

My largest lens is a 300mm f/4, I'd like something longer but I'd like another weekend toy too so no more gear for a while.

well I am popping to Blackpool zoo this weekend.
I was foolishly going to take my 150-600 with me but I maybe best just taking my 10-24 now :)
I wonder if I should do vice versa when I go to Madame tussaurds :eek:
It could just be a case of using what is the right tool for the Job ?
p.s. in reality i will have a 2nd camera both times but the other camera lens will be the 50-150 2.8

Was at the Yorkshire Wildlife Park last week and a loud child asked his dad "why does everyone have humongous cameras?" To with he replied "I'd have one too if I didn't have any children" he had about 5.

It's a necessary tool that suits a necessary purpose.

My largest lens is a 300mm f/4, I'd like something longer but I'd like another weekend toy too so no more gear for a while.
There has been quite a large growth in ‘photographers’ as opposed to ‘people on a day out’ over the past 12 months or so at the YWP from my observations. It’s good to see imo, although I admit to getting slight lens envy when I see someone with a 400mm f2.8 or 500/600mm f4 ;)

How many people here don't have any lenses longer than 135mm? That's currently my longest lens and I don't even have a tele converter and shoot FF.

That would be of little or no use on our polar and safari trips. A Canon 28-300 on a 5D4, and a Sigma 150-600S on a 7D2 are my usual kit. With a Sigma 12-24 for anything that suits it.

There has been quite a large growth in ‘photographers’ as opposed to ‘people on a day out’ over the past 12 months or so at the YWP from my observations. It’s good to see imo, although I admit to getting slight lens envy when I see someone with a 400mm f2.8 or 500/600mm f4 ;)

I see a lot of superzooms and the occasional monster prime, one gentleman with a 400mm 2.8 seems to head straight for the Tigers when I see him.

I've had a couple of sarcastic comments about my gear over the last year or two and all by women and I just smile and walk on, I do agree it is attracting a lot more photographers with a wide range of gear, similarly to BSB and BTCC a few years ago.

Most of my portaiture work is done on a 70-200. While I love my 85mm prime, I am still mighty impressed by it's versatility and what it offers me.

@raymondlin my first dslr was canon 350d with 18-55 kit lens. This was pretty good but I did want to closer to the action. So guess what, first lens was a Tamron superzoom.

I see a lot of superzooms and the occasional monster prime, one gentleman with a 400mm 2.8 seems to head straight for the Tigers when I see him.

I've had a couple of sarcastic comments about my gear over the last year or two and all by women and I just smile and walk on, I do agree it is attracting a lot more photographers with a wide range of gear, similarly to BSB and BTCC a few years ago.

I like YWP for photography, Probably due to the enclosure design, it’s one of the few I’ve been to where you aren’t shooting through either fences or glass. Compared to others it isn’t the biggest park either, I think gives the impression that there are more photographers because we aren’t spread out as much.

I used to get gear envy, however since switching from 5d3/120-300 sport combo to an A7Rii/ GM 100-400, I feel sorry for them having to lug all that weight around

I've been reading it, beyond the ill informed regarding the distortion and "because that's what you shoot", it wasn't really the answers I was looking for.

Perhaps the opening post worded it wrong, I was and it is just an observation that lots of beginners seems to gravitate towards LONG focal lenses. Statistically speaking, you would think the spread would be much wider, like people would go for am ultra wide angle just as much but it seems, as least looking at the pages here, that is a lot less.

I am just curious why people gravitate towards these big lenses, not just "because it suits what I shoot". I would expect there would be an equal spread of lenses ownership. But posts such as "because that's what I like to shoot" doesn't really answer the question and I am not sure how to get into the psyche of someone just starting out. Do they get these lenses because that's what they should get, or because its cheap, or because it's what they need?

How many people when they started out just buy body only then get a prime?

Either way, I was just curious.

(Does that answer your question?)
I guess people starting out think that having say the kit lens 18-55 and a 70-300 or 100-400 covers off everything they will need from shooting the kids in the back yard to when they go to events where they are cordoned off a distance from the action.

Basically the marketing machine is strong and we are weak - especially when starting out :)
It preys on our insecurities to sell us an ever expanding range of lenses and cameras that are just a little but better each time and it's a model that works because, on the whole, we lap it up.
Eventually we reach zen like levels of control, and reach above these material goals, but even the most enlightened can relapse.

As beginners we're offered binary choices. Yes wider lens is great for landscape, but if you want a picture of the dear in the park, you'll need a longer lens. You don't want to miss out with your new toy so you end up buying lenses for every occasion. I best just as many people have wide angle as telephoto, it's just less obvious.
Similarly, most will start out with a s***ty zoom, then they can sell you a nice prime, and then they can sell you a better zoom etc. There's no benefit to the manufacturer to satisfy the compulsion at the initial point of purchase.

Obviously, the wisened old buggers on here now all know better, and make different choices (usually), but if you're just starting out...

Last edited:
Whilst out and about in the countryside I often spot people (usually blokes and accompanied by women who might be their wives) dangling huge lenses, and these lenses, curiously, are mostly white. My primitive intelligence suggests that they are Canon users? My take on statistics also suggests that only a small proportion of them could be what I'd call good photographers, any more than having an expensive car makes you a good driver. A dedicated form of dick-talk, therefore, and a probable creative dead end.

A very few of them will maybe take great shots of wild creatures (or in other circumstances, sportspeople), which is admirable, but in such a case they'd be unlikely to appear in such a strolling mode, and I feel no envy at all on seeing anyone sporting large or expensive-looking gear - apart from certain twinges when I see someone with a film Leica or Hasselblad. But that's a consumerist envy of a certain kind, and little to do with the actual pictures taken / made.

My longest lens is 85mm. But I might equally go out on a photo hunt with just a 50mm, arguably the most boring focal length imaginable? Do people make pictures of things, or do they make pictures of light? I often wonder. For pictures of light, maybe anything will do?

That would be me then (except I no longer have black lenses). Whilst YOUR chosen subjects can be shot with your short stubby lenses, OUR chosen subjects require us to shoot from distance. I don't want to encroach too close to wildlife as I don't want to put it under any more stress than it is already under.

I can assure you, I have shorter lenses too, as I sometimes shoot "other stuff". Maybe us "men" with big lenses have a better attitude to the hobby, and are able to shoot a wider variety of subjects than you stubby lensed people?

Reactions: RIR
Perhaps the opening post worded it wrong, I was and it is just an observation that lots of beginners seems to gravitate towards LONG focal lenses.

I think it comes from the way that cameras are sold to beginners with bigger numbers = better equipment.
More megapixels = better camera.
More "x times zoom" = better lens.

My Dad bought a compact with a massive zoom range and proudly showed me the security light on a neighbouring farmhouse half a mile away.
Does he use that zoom? Of course not.
Did he appreciate the f numbers on the lens or the size of the sensor when he was being sold the camera? Nope.

When you start out you're easily convinced that you need that long telephoto.
If you engage with photography you may realise a different lens would suit you better.

Then if you like wildlife, cars and planes the long lens isn't pointless.
Occasional motorsport is the only time my 40-150mm (80-300 equ) lens gets an outing it wasn't expensive and it's not heavy so I'm not sorry I have it.

So it's not long since I was a beginner, if indeed, I ever stopped being one.

I had a bridge camera, it went from a lovely wide angle lens to a love telephoto lens. I liked having the flexibility so that no matter what my situation was, I could fill the sensor with whatever I wanted to record. But I wanted a better sensor. Unlike a few beginners (but by no means all), I looked carefully and understood quickly that 'zoom' and 'focal length' might be used in the same sentence but aren't really describing the same thing. But more importantly, I recognised early that I wasn't going to be able to fill the frame of my new DSLR on long distance objects without spending thousands of pounds.

I went ahead and bought a Canon 600D, with the best value package I could find, which included the 18-55 and 55-250 kit lenses. I used them for about a year. I liked the 55-250 for visits to the local nature reserve. But, as expected, I found it frustrating when just 'wandering around the city' to get some shots because I had to switch lenses to photograph some stuff I wanted to. I wasn't focused on a single style of photography, and I certainly wasn't thinking 'I can frame all my shots at 35mm and then make them about more than just the object I find interesting'. I was very much of the mindset that the interesting thing should fill the frame.

I eventually bought a Tamron 18-270, and I loved it, used it all the time, for about another year. It meant no matter what I found interesting I could grab shots of it. Even if there were physical barriers in the way or I was forced to be really close to it. As I knew, and expected, the lens was not as sharp as even the kit lenses, at different focal lengths, and I wanted something sharp _as well_, and I never thought it would replace the 18-270, but I bought a Sigma 17-50, and it was _delicious_.

Utterly sharp, superb contrast, great quality to the resulting images. And then I started to learn that sometimes you don't have to fill the frame with the interesting thing, sometimes the scene in which your thing lives is also interesting. Because the focal length forced me to think differently.

I've changed cameras and lenses several times since then.

I would posit beginners use those 'travel zooms' because they don't want to carry multiple lenses, don't mind a bit of softness, still get better images than they would have on a bridge, and enjoy filling the frame with the subject they're interested in and can't always get close enough or far away enough to achieve that by footwork alone (or, sometimes, they're with family, kids of friends who don't want to walk another 100 yards to get the shot).

For some people, the travel zoom, and long zoom will be all they ever want because it suits what they're trying to achieve. Nothing wrong it it.

Last edited:
My first SLR had a 55mm prime with it. A couple of years later, I could afford a 135 to go with it. A 28mm came a couple of years after that. Leap forwards 20 years and my first modern (read automatic of any kind!) SLR came as a kit with a 28-80 (IIRC) and a 70-300 in the same box (could have had just the "standard"/kit zoom but the telephoto only added £50 to the kit price and was £150 as a separate item - no brainer!) A 12-24 soon joined it and that's basically the same zoom range I have now (for the Nikon system).

As someone who is very much a "Beginner", allow me to offer my 2 cents.

When I first got into photography, my first camera was a Panasonic Lumix TZ60 (Compact Camera). I very much liked this as the battery life was decent (Superb if you take into account it camera with a spare battery), the ability to quickly transfer photos to my phone via the app was good but I often found the 30x zoom (24-720mm) remarkably useful in capturing just photos of things. At this point, I was casually just learning how to take a photo or at least taking a photo of something "interesting".

When I got my DSLR (Nikon D5500), I found the kit lens to be fairly useful. It's 18mm wide angle is plenty wide enough for many general applications but I often found the 55mm end to be well to short. I now walk around with a 18-300mm. This lens whilst I understand is far from the best, it's so far served me well. The bane of it being its lack of sharpness through various focal lengths. Having said this, the 300mm has come in useful at times. I'm a sucker for "Zooming in" on distant objects. Strictly speaking, is this question also applicable to anyone shoots wide angle ? Why focus on 1 end of a given focal range ?

This is isn't too much of a problem for me as while the photos could do with being more sharp, my livelihood doesn't depend on it as photography is a hobby for me. I don't regard myself to be particularly creative so this avenue allows me to challenge myself. Just recently, I've been looking into camera bags and I've seen a fair few videos of photographers showing what they pack and I'm often thinking to myself, "Why do you need so much?". Questions such as "Are 2+ camera bodies really necessary?" were among others and well now that I think about it, it was my stupidity to think such things. I can easily think that when my livelihood doesn't depend on it. I remember once going to floral park and going home thinking I wasted the day and some money (£20) because the "macro" lens I bought just wasn't up to par. I can only begin to imagine how a professional was think if something similar happens. I apologize for seemingly going off topic here.

I think what I'm attempting to say is that everyone had different gear for different uses. Even if it's the same gear, you can still use it differently.

People have more money and big lenses are relatively cheaper than they were. Lots of people think "couldn't I get great photos if only I had a lens like the pros" (pros being - those who have big lenses) . Hence - more people with big lenses.

People have more money and big lenses are relatively cheaper than they were. Lots of people think "couldn't I get great photos if only I had a lens like the pros" (pros being - those who have big lenses) . Hence - more people with big lenses.
Would you say more pros have big lenses? Sure if you watch a lot of sport, but go to a wedding and I’m sure you’ll see more small ish primes being used, likewise with a portrait studio. Landscapers will use wide angle more than big teles. I can’t say I have ever been, or spoken to anyone whose lens choices were based on what pros use tbh. YMMV.

Why do I have a big zoom simple answer cause I can do I use it yes for wildlife. I've tried to sneak up on the birds and otters with my collection of primes 35,50,85 but I'm just not good enough. Would I have a 600mm f4 prime if i could. Of course I would.
My 70-200 Just isn't enough most of the time.

Would you say more pros have big lenses? Sure if you watch a lot of sport, but go to a wedding and I’m sure you’ll see more small ish primes being used, likewise with a portrait studio. Landscapers will use wide angle more than big teles. I can’t say I have ever been, or spoken to anyone whose lens choices were based on what pros use tbh. YMMV.
My response was partly tongue in cheek but I have met cashed up beginners like that. After all, most people who want an expensive car want one that looks expensive too. After all, what is the point if nobody knows it is expensive? A big lens looks expensive.

I can't help but notice these.

1 - when someone is starting out, they almost always want a big zoom as much as their "walkabout" zoom. The 2nd lens they would get is a 70-200 or a 70-300.
2 - there are a lot of people here with a lot of big telephoto zooms, 100-400, 200-400, 150-600 etc.

How many people here don't have any lenses longer than 135mm? That's currently my longest lens and I don't even have a tele converter and shoot FF.

My simple answer to this is... why does it matter??? People are free to put in their kit bag whatever equipment they feel is best for them! It's usually a result of their experience, their perception of what they need for their photography, practicality and weight issues depending on location etc! Also for most of us it's the best glass we can afford that gives us flexibility!

otos were above 55mm and how many of these zooming in photos you took are worth the price of the lens?

My simple answer to this is... why does it matter??? People are free to put in their kit bag whatever equipment they feel is best for them! It's usually a result of their experience, their perception of what they need for their photography, practicality and weight issues depending on location etc! Also for most of us it's the best glass we can afford that gives us flexibility!

I never said it matter, or "wrong", I am just wondering, I apologiseif you are offended.

Last edited:
otos were above 55mm and how many of these zooming in photos you took are worth the price of the lens?

I never said it matter, or "wrong", I am just wondering, I apologiseif you are offended.
Im not offended... sorry if my post came across as that... it wasn't meant to be... I just don't simply care or really understand why anyone else would care what others use! To me it's horses for courses with lens's... if you want to do certain types of photography it is better to have a zoom lens. Im not sure you can put a value for money value on a lens... at the end of the day for photography is just a hobby so I spend what I can afford... no regrets!

Im not offended... sorry if my post came across as that... it wasn't meant to be... I just don't simply care or really understand why anyone else would care what others use! To me it's horses for courses with lens's... if you want to do certain types of photography it is better to have a zoom lens. Im not sure you can put a value for money value on a lens... at the end of the day for photography is just a hobby so I spend what I can afford... no regrets!

These are just on the first 2 pages.

Statistically speaking, i'd thought there are as many threads on other end of the spectrum, but where are they? Now, I am not saying that you are a beginner if you have a telephoto but it is certainly something that struck me how the forum is heavily skewed towards these larger telephotos as least in terms of thread titles alone.

5DqONyi.png

57UaCNM.png

9udEeTV.png

13fflm9.png

xnx0MfU.png

wdf25S9.png

1BKzRDH.png

Last edited:
These are just on the first 2 pages.

Statistically speaking, i'd thought there are as many threads on other end of the spectrum, but where are they? Now, I am not saying that you are a beginner if you have a telephoto but it is certainly something that struck me how the forum is heavily skewed towards these larger telephotos as least in terms of thread titles alone.

5DqONyi.png

57UaCNM.png

9udEeTV.png

13fflm9.png

xnx0MfU.png

wdf25S9.png

1BKzRDH.png

Maybe it's easier to choose / pick / pack / travel with a wide angle lens. Maybe there's less wide angle choice. I'm not sure the above is a fair method for deciding more people have long lenses, maybe just more people have questions about long lenses?

The camera that started my interest in all this had as far as I know a fixed focus 43mm f11 lens and two shutter speeds, 1/40 and 1/80.

I still have that camera but I haven't used it for decades, the shutter still fires though.

Back