Why do you take photos?

• Thread starter PhotographyBuff
  • Start date
Yeah fully agree with that, you see the whole word through new eyes.

I like to tell stories and I like the idea of showing other people the world as it appears to me.

Good question. It started because I wanted to take nice pictures of the kids and I couldn't take a picture for toffee before.

Now I enjoy the whole process of creating a picture. My job is fairly science based and this is a creative outlet for me in an otherwise scientific life! I like the fact that there's lots of aspects to learn, and as hobbies go, I can involve the kids and it's not too solitary.

To me there is no better way to preserve moments in time, i had a compact for years, only got a DSLR in 2011 for a trip to Australia, since then it has become one of my main hobbies, just love taking pics in every aspect, weird to the wonderfull

I just find it a wonderful hobby that allows me to forget the day-to-day worries of life and have 'Me time'. The added bonus has been meeting many lovely people along the way, making friends and if someone then like any photos I might post on Flickr or FB, then that's another bonus.

My husband has been amazed that this is the only hobby I've ever started where I've kept going and whereby the camera kit grows and doesn't get left in a corner gathering dust.

Because I'm not allowed to use my Lee Enfield rifle and photography full fills my hunting instinct!

Because I go fishing... Its always photos of fish! Sad really :-(

For me it's fun and I like the challenge of trying to learn all the technical aspects in camera and photoshop.

To better understand my place in the world, and to share those bits of it I'm passionate about - whether that be family stuff or acrobatics.

I keep doing it because it's one of a small number of activities which combine physical, technical, creative and collaborative challenges. The most satisfying things in life tend to be multi-faceted.
Once upon a time I wrote a dull blog post on this subject.

It helps me to slow down, stop and think about what I'm seeing and interpret it. For me it's also part of an (urban) exploration

Started off just to have some nice photos of the kids after being passed down an old 350D, now its involved to a relaxing escape, most of my other interests are quite physical so photography is a nice way to enjoy myself injury free and completely relaxed.

It's another way for me to express any feelings or emotions through a creative outlet. Also it gets me outside and I love just walking around since starting taking photographs I feel myself looking at the world differently

I have a terrible memory and looking at photos brings back little jewels of joy, nuggets if fun times and sometimes sadness. Overall it stirs the emotions....

Back