Why does a laptop needs Windows

Name
Shirley
Edit My Images
No
My Windows 10 tries to update and then fails so all stops whilst it takes changes off and the system just stops. I wondered why do I need any windows?

The *precise* meaning of your question is unclear, other than your computer is trying and failing to update correctly.

Why should you use windows?

Windows is essential on a computer if you have to use applications that will ONLY work on your hardware using windows. Since you're on a photographic forum, examples would be Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop. If you don't use any windows-only programs then you could ditch windows in favour of Linux, many versions of which just work straight 'out of the box' and come with similar applications to those you are used to using with windows. There are quite a few Linux users here, and we all have our favourite versions (Mint Cinnamon and Mint Mate for older hardware are mine, but also Q4OS is good).

But it may be better/easier to fix your update problem than back up, reinstall & then restore your data.

I wondered why do I need any windows?

In it's simplest form of this question...
If you didn't have Windows (or any other "Operating System" like Apple / Linux) then when you turn your computer on it would just sit there and do nothing.

Having Windows (etc) on there allows you to actually use applications (to view images / browse the internet).
Without the underlying Operating System you cannot use any applications.

Off topic but the title of this thread made me giggle a bit -

Back in 1990 I stated work fresh from uni. At the time we have a PRIME minicomputer in the basement of our London HQ as our main computing platform and my job was to move over to the new fangled Oracle database system, which we hosted on the equally new fangled OS/2. Long-story short, we had written a set of instructions on how to shut down the system in case of emergency which were available for the directors at the time - and there was one such emergency when the PRIME system burst into flames! The instructions for the new OS/2 Oracle system were something like 'open a window and type in something or other'.

Que the phone call from one of the directors standing in a basement server room with a soldering great PRIME computer behind him asking which window - as the basement server room obviously didn't have one. Might sound like one of those made up tales, but it actually happened. The guy was one of the nicest chaps I ever did have the pleasure of working for. I can't imaging the old chap is still around, but I rather hope he is.

google your question " My Windows 10 tries to update and then fails". There is a lot with the same problem and maybe the answer your looking for

My Windows 10 tries to update and then fails so all stops whilst it takes changes off and the system just stops. I wondered why do I need any windows?
Lots of people have had similar problems, and have given up. And now use something different, like Ubuntu, Mint, Solus and many other Linux versions.

I am getting rid of my very old desktop any time now, as we are getting our room done up. I might try Linux, before I bin the computer. :)

Windows 10 is struggling on my old laptop but fine on my shiny new PC

This is quite relevant:
10 Best Lightweight Linux Distros For Old Computers | 2018 Edition https://fossbytes.com/best-lightweight-linux-distros/

My favourite being number 4. Ubuntu Mate. Which let's you try out different desktop styles at the click of a menu.
Screenshot%2Bat%2B2017-05-07%2B15-25-51.jpg

Last edited:
This is quite relevant:
10 Best Lightweight Linux Distros For Old Computers | 2018 Edition https://fossbytes.com/best-lightweight-linux-distros/

My favourite being number 4. Ubuntu Mate. Which let's you try out different desktop styles at the click of a menu.
Screenshot%2Bat%2B2017-05-07%2B15-25-51.jpg

I've tried many of those, with Mint Mate being current favourite and Linux Lite second. Puppy and Bodhi were 'enthusiast' linux installs, in that significant effort was required to make them work acceptably, and stuff based on XFCE and LXDE generally needing a bit of fiddling around. I'd also recommend Q4OS as a decent lightweight alternative to the mainstream. Generally the more mainstream Linux distros 'just work out of the box' with the exception of Fedora and openSUSE that IIRC didn't come with non-free drivers and codecs installed automatically (and the 1-click install didn't).

Back