Why does brightness through view finder vary with aperture with DSLR but not SLR

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a strange question ! When I use my DSLR varying aperture varies the brightness of the viewed image to the point that in low light I have to use a wide aperture to see what I'm looking at then change it, this make sense really as I would expect less light with smaller apertures ( I hate this DSLR and cannot work out if the thing is broken or just naff but every now and again I give it another try !) If I use any of my SLR's the brightness does not vary with aperture how do they do that ? Is this another nail in the coffin of the DSLR confirming it has a fault ?

Thanks all for your info/input

you don't mention what camera / lens you are using or if you are using live view

the brightness should not vary, normally the aperture is wide open until you press the shutter button regardless of what settings you have

if it is varying i would suggest a fault or a stuck DOF preview button

Both DSLR and SLR normally focus at max aperture. Then shut down to preset aperture when you press the shutter. Are you sure you have not set the camera to depth of field preview.

You’re still messing around with dodgy old lenses. You’ll never ‘learn’ photography from the internet till you start playing with the same gear as everyone else. :)

Buy a bloody cheap AF lens and stop arsing about with dodgy kit that doesn’t work properly. ;)

At this point I’m telling you that your frustration with photography is entirely your fault. :p

I surmise this is an old manual lens and the OP has yet to grasp the intricacies of what he is trying to achieve using such a lens.........and blaming(?) the camera body!

O.k I forgot to mention I am using manual film camera lenses ! Which I now realize are confusing this camera (A Canon 10d). What your saying Phil V is totally right I should get a lens designed for the camera which I may well do do at some point but as it is an old bit of electronic kit I see it as a bit of a risk doing so, but you are wrong in saying I am frustrated with photography 99% of my photography is with film cameras of which I have many, I also have a large range of lenses and various equipment to suit which I really enjoy using and have cost me next to nothing, the digi SLR is just a curiosity and to match the film cameras I would need at least 4 lenses, its just something I notice in the cupboard now and again.

O.k I forgot to mention I am using manual film camera lenses ! Which I now realize are confusing this camera (A Canon 10d). What your saying Phil V is totally right I should get a lens designed for the camera which I may well do do at some point but as it is an old bit of electronic kit I see it as a bit of a risk doing so, but you are wrong in saying I am frustrated with photography 99% of my photography is with film cameras of which I have many, I also have a large range of lenses and various equipment to suit which I really enjoy using and have cost me next to nothing, the digi SLR is just a curiosity and to match the film cameras I would need at least 4 lenses, its just something I notice in the cupboard now and again.

Strangely, although I prefer DSLRs because of the optical viewfinder, this is where "mirrorless" digital cameras excel. As you stop down the adapted lenses, the electronic viewfinder increases in brightness to compensate for the loss of light through the lens. If you like old film cameras and old film camera lenses, a low cost mirrorless camera could be a fun investment.

I think I paid £140 for my secondhand Fuji XE1 and I use a range of Nikon AIs lenses on it with a cheap adaptor. The other nice thing about this set up is that you can press the control wheel on the back of the camera and enlarge the centre of the viewfinder to aid manual focussing. Of course it doesn't need to be a Fuji, and I also have a Panasonic GX7 and Nikon 1 mirrorless cameras that I use the same Nikon lenses on, but the Fuji is the one I like the best.

It's a quirk of compatibility.

Most of my very old M42 screw-fit lenses, proudly boast to being 'automatic'. They have a pin on the lens flange that when pushed 'in' stops the aperture iris down to that set; whilst 'out' the iris stays wide open at whatever the max aperture setting may be. The pin only gets pressed in to 'stop down' to the 'taking' aperture, when you press the shutter release so that the view-finder stays 'bright'.

On older 'non automatic' lenses, the view-finder dimmed with the aperture setting, and most 'automatic' lenses had an over ride switch, so they worked like a on auto lens, which meant composing wide open, then stopping down to taking aperture if you were using an SLR that has the view-finder looking through the taking lens.

On later bayonet mount 'system' SLR's the feature was incorporated with some other means of interconnect, to stop down to taking aperture when you released the shutter, and lenses usually featured a 'DoF Preview' button to rapidly stop down to taking aperture, and dim the view-finder to see the effect through the periscope.

Slipping ahead a few decades, the Electric-Picture-Maker gets rid of the complicated mechanica inter-connects between camera and lens, and uses electric contacts, to do essentially the same thing... stop down an electric controlled iris when you press the shutter, but leave it wide open for a bright view-finder image the rest of the time. There may or more likely is not a DoF preview feature to stop down to taking aperture.
I'm not entirely sure when Cannon pioneering electric controlled lenses started using such technology, but I am fairly sure it was on the last film cameras, rather tha early digital, so on that brand it probably is very much an age 'thing' as anything.

But, using film era lenses on digital cameras.... I can mount most of my old M42 screw fit lenses onto my modern Nikon Widgetal via adapter... first up, the EPM expects to 'talk' to an electric lens through its brass contacts, on the lens mount... but lens wont talk back! So, first up the camera's internal TTL metering don't work, as it isn't getting aperture settings from the lens; so I have to meter manually with a hand meld meter or other camera, guesstimate by f16-Sunny sort of guide-line or simply chimp-it from a few test shots! AND I have to be sure that the lens is set to 'manual' because there's no mechanical linkage to stop it down to taking aperture when the shutter released.. so I have to be careful about that, or it will take everything I shoot 'wide-open'! And be a bit 'diligent' making sure I manually stop-down to the taking aperture after composing wide open, to get bright view-finder image.

This sort of anomaly, is then par for the course with using adapted lenses, and one of the reasons I suggest horses for courses, and if you wat to get the best from old legacy lenses, use them on the old legacy film camera they were intended or! If you want the convenience of wdgetal, use the electric lenses designed for the widgetal camera; trying to cross pollinate usually brings more compromises to either way around for the few advantages you may be looking for! But if you DO have to mix and match, you really do need to know the ins-and-outs of what's going on with both camera and lens and apply that much more diligence to the hardware, even than you might have had to with an old fully manual film camera, to compensate for this sort of quirk!

Your call, really.... how many rolls of film could you buy for he price of a cheap 'kit' electric lens for the EPM, or how many could you buy for the e-bay price of the body? Or is pursuing the legacy lenses on EPM worth the hassle and learning and compensating for what's causing it?

Forgive me then, my point was based on your threads which always come from a point of frustration that something isn’t working as you believe it should.

I’ll take the risk out of buying a lens for you. If you buy a lens for the 10d and it proves the 10d is faulty, I’ll give you a 20d if you pay the postage. :)

Your only issue now is that the 10d doesn’t take efs lenses, so I don’t know what lens ought to be your first buy.

The 10D won't take EF-S but it'll take Sigma and Tamron APS-C lenses so for a first lens I'd go for a 17/18-50mm f2.8 :D

It's a long time since I had a 10D but as far as I remember it was a nice enough camera and one nice thing is that the shutter isn't as loud as that of the 20D (again as far as I remember.) I didn't have my 10D for long, I had my 300D longer and I had my 20D for over seven years so my 10D pictures tend to get lost amongst pictures taken with those cameras but I do remember a few 10D shots which are amongst my favorite digital age pictures. I think that the 10D is worth the effort of trying to get the best out of it.

So you have an adapter between lens and camera?
As the 10d is all electronic it has no way of getting the lens to shut to the required aperture, or for that matter making it focus, so to get correct exposure I am assuming you stop the lens down manually, which works, sort of.
Howver the correct sequence would be to open the lens to maximum aperture, focus then shut the lens down to the required aperture then hit the shutter release, hoping the subject matter or you havent moved in the meantime. We adopted this technique some years ago with film cameras and non auto lenses but my first experience with film cameras was in the early 80's (1980' not 18880's) and that technique had been superseded even then. Canon bought out eos cameras using film as the recording medium and then went digital a few years ago, so you maybe able to get a film body and lens for pennies off e-bay as a lot of old film users arent aware their lenses work on all of the digital SLR bodies that Canon have ever made as in effect the film eos lenses are full frame. Just be careful of buying non genuine Canon lenses as some alternative manufacturers' lenses may not always work, in particular some old Sigmas.
Interesting, you have an EOS 10 which is in those terms quite modern but choose to use a technique consigned to the bin 35 years or more ago. :)
What lens adapter have you used and didnt it cost more than a cheap eos compatable lens?
Matt

Last edited:
The lens adapters I used were only cheap but allowed me to use all my M42 screw mount Lenses and My Praktica Bayonet lenses (or so I thought at the time) on a very cheaply acquired Canon just to have a play with. I must admit I really like using the old film cameras when out just for the fun of photography but it can be costly if I get really carried away with shooting film. I will have to have a look for some Canon lenses for it and give it a real go, I'm not over keen on the camera it's self as it is really bulky and heavy maybe a mirrorless camera would be another idea when I do get round to going digital fully.

Thanks all for your input.,

Last edited:
considering your 20 years behind the times you got a fair bit of catching up to do .

:exit::exit::exit:

Forgive me then, my point was based on your threads which always come from a point of frustration that something isn’t working as you believe it should.

I’ll take the risk out of buying a lens for you. If you buy a lens for the 10d and it proves the 10d is faulty, I’ll give you a 20d if you pay the postage. :)

Your only issue now is that the 10d doesn’t take efs lenses, so I don’t know what lens ought to be your first buy.

Phil I'll pay ya postage on a 20D if your giving it away LOL

Back