Why does Movie Maker keep crashing?

Name
Simon Everett
Edit My Images
Yes
I had 9 minutes of finished video all done.....then the program crashed. It was corrupted when it saved the project because the 'do you want to restore the previous project' thing came up with a jumbled mess of the finished video....so I tried by starting again and even on a 1 minute clip it crashed again.....so then I tried Shot cut and that crashed before I could even load the clips into it.

I have never had a problem before and I haven't a clue what it might be.

Any help please? With how to use THESE editing programs, please don't suggest I try something else. I don't have the knowldge to use anything more complicated and even these are far more powerful than I will ever use - All I need to do is cut bits out and join the remainder up, nothing more complex than that.

All help very graetfully received.

Hard to say unless computer is running out of space to move stuff about.
Perhap one or more of the files you are trying to edit has some kind of corruption, try a quick edit on an older sequence?
It will very likely be helpful to run your video files through www.Handbrake.fr before attempting to work with them.
Annoying extra step but doesn't take long and solves many problems.
GoPro studio is a relatively simple free altenative, but moviemaker is OK for basic stiff quite agree.

The only time I had problems with Movie Maker, is when I upgraded to Windows 10. I had problems working on video clips, like not converting and crashing. I dropped back to windows 7 and never had a problem since.

This may be totally unrelated but I throw it in for what its worth.
There has been an recent security upgrade to Adobe Flash player and yesterday my Solitaire game ( I know!) stopped loading, I did a system restore to pre the upgrade and all has been fine since .
BTW I did not reinstall the upgrade

I think number one was right - overloaded the system, but I wouldn't have a clue to find out how much space I have, or how much there is - I am on Windows 7, that is my MODERN computer. The big computer out the back is still on Windows 98 and works perfectly, it NEVER falls over. That said, I tend ot to overtax it.

Back