Why does our dog stink?

At the end of the day it depends what she smell of - if she smells like a dog, then thast can really come as no suprise - if on the otherhand she smells like she's been dead for a week then something probably isnt right.

I thought my dog had started to really stink - as bit like gorgonzola - then i realised that the smell was coming from my wallking boots (which are next to the dog basket) :puke: :LOL:

That's a delicacy. Gorgonzola served in a hiking boot.

Been volunteering in a rescue environment for many years now and can definitely say the dogs which stay in the house normally smell ok...... until they get wet then they pong a bit for a while. The dogs which are kennelled positively reek when they come out, even if they have only been in for a few days and this isn't a rescue environment kennel, its one we pay top whack for. I think you said she was 9 years old now, getting to the older end of dog years, perhaps she has to relieve herself more these days, in a kennel environment this tends to mean the odours will stay with them more.

Interested to know what food the vet recommended. If its one you buy through them you will be paying through the nose. A couple of good hypoallergenic foods are Burns or James Wellbeloved, they also don't have additives. Suggest if you decide to try them go for a chicken or fish variety. Red meat and turkey are high in protein and can cause a whiffy back end.

Hope this is of some help.

My wife is a veterinary nurse and we used to run a pet shop so have some experience...What are you currently feeding it. Bakers, Pedigree Chump??

I have 3 huskies that all happily live outdoors with a nice warm kennel and lots of room. They most definately smell like dogs and positively stink when wet! Will add that been huskies they don't really appreciate been inside in the winter when I have it hot enough to resemble the tropics!!

Wrong...we have four in a small flat and no smells at all, even in this crappy weather

9/10 always down to food

I know lots of people who say their dog(s) don't smell......... To them they probably don't smell because over time you get used to doggy odour but for a non-dog owner going into their house there is nearly always a "doggy" smell.

I know lots of people who say their dog(s) don't smell......... To them they probably don't smell because over time you get used to doggy odour but for a non-dog owner going into their house there is nearly always a "doggy" smell.

:agree:

Dogs, cats....pretty much most pets :)

<---- Leaps onto stage.

"I say, I say, I say, my dog has no nose.

How does it smell?

Quite badly".

<---- Presses comedy horn and hits the comedy drum and cymbal.

:nuts:
:bonk:
:LOL:

I thank you.

(y) exactly - and at the risk of upsetting people further - the same goes for homes with kids or old people in them... pretty much everything has it's own odour - I believe that the Chinese used to consider that European folk smelled of sour milk or cheese due to the higher preponderance of dairy food in the western diet...

Our german shepherd has massive problems with her ears with polyps. Due to the folds they make, she constantly gets ear infections and massive wax build up, which absolutely stinks, especially when the heating is on. If its not that, its probably the anal glands, which smell as bad -.-

Just got in off the hill with my 3

They're stinking - and I'm used to it.

Some of us are able to cope better than others - Here's hoping the OP's dog can ;)

Just got in off the hill with my 3

They're stinking - and I'm used to it.

Some of us are able to cope better than others - Here's hoping the OP's dog can ;)

Nail on head....... As a dog owner you accept that from time to time they're gonna stink and you get used to "normal" doggy odour.

I have a very sensitive sense of smell.... one of my ex girlfriends had a 9 year old Boxer dog called Sid.

Sid slept in the bedroom... yes, that's right in the bedroom and when I wasn't sleeping there he slept on the bed.......:puke:

He stunk and he snored, although that was the least of the problems in that relationship :LOL:

Vet then. There is no reason a healthy chocolate labrador should stink. And for heaven sake is this dog male or female..."it" indeed. If you always treat "it" with such disdain it probably farts at you on purpose.

PMSL :LOL:

People seem to hate the suggestion of it but everyone's homes smell. We all smell different and it's inevitable our homes smell of us. That's not to say our homes smell badly (some do, most don't) but to say simply that your home doesn't smell isn't true. The same goes for animals. Cats, dogs, hamsters, rabbits, parrots or whatever else people may keep all smell of one thing or another and if they spend a lot of time inside to shed fur/skin etc. then the home will smell that way too.

(i'm a cat owner btw, and readily accept that you can probably tell we have cats spending lots of time indoors when you walk through the front door, despite our best efforts)

Is the outside thing a new development or has it been ongoing for a few months/years?

Also does your wife know the dog is outside for 19hrs aday? If so is she happy with this

We live in the countryside and have 2dogs a lab/spaniel cross and a jack/staff cross and to be honest the dogs are far from the worst smell round here lol

Until the smell goes away, buy some Handy Pet Carpet powder freshener from your local Pound Shop, it works a treat .... That's if you have Carpets

A lot of the advice given in this thread is UK orientated so not much use to Ricardo! Some of the foods recommended may not be available in Alicante and the Euro shops (which they probably do have) may well not stock carpet fresheners.

I hope they manage to get the problem sorted - it does sound to me like a diet problem, although if the whole dog stinks, it may be more fundamental. I know that if I ate nothing but dog food, I would have foul and copious wind (as opposed to the plain copious I already have!)...

Back