Why dont canon do a similar lens to the Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G IF-ED VR II

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I friend has this lens, seems not too bad for the high range. How come there is nothing even close in the canon range?

Or is there?

They do a 28-300mm which is as close as they get.

There is a new 18-250 IS. Not of the same caliber though.

EDIT: I'm wrong, it was the 55-250 IS.

They do...

Canon EF 28-300mm f3.5-5.6 L IS USM Lens

however I wont be buying one. Since any lens with more than 3x zoom suffers massively from IQ problems. Its a laws of physics trade off between quality and zoom flexibility.

They do...

Canon EF 28-300mm f3.5-5.6 L IS USM Lens

however I wont be buying one. Since any lens with more than 3x zoom suffers massively from IQ problems. Its a laws of physics trade off between quality and zoom flexibility.
You might be surprised how good the 28-300 is. Of course it can't possibly be as good as a prime or a smaller-range zoom, but they didn't put that "L" on it for nothing.
The nikkon lens isnt very big at all, seems a perfect walkabout one, the canon L lens looks HUGE.
It is. It's about the same size as the 100-400, but a tad heavier.

When you think about it, the Canon 28-300 fulfills almost exactly the same role on a full-frame camera as the Nikon 18-200 does on a "DX" camera. But the Canon sensor is 2.5 times a big, which means the lens has to be 2.5 times as big...

Back