Why don't car dealers just tell you the price...

Do you mean the old blue "invalid carriages"? Not seen those around for decades. As they were there for people with physical disabilities, "visually or mentally impaired" is a little harsh don't you think?

No I mean disgusting looking car, which I cannot imagine anyone looking at and thinking "that looks great". Some cars looks are subjective, and some are plainly designed by a blind person.

The Daewoo/Chevrolet Matiz is a good example.

Sam, Out of curiosity do you normally withdraw money from your savings every time you buy a car?

Without wishing to go into my finances or work. I tend to receive large lump sums at once, and my income is not regular. One month I might get two grand into my current account, and another I might get 20 (although this is very very rare, and usually much closer to the smaller figure). So I simply make big purchases when I get big payments.

Because of my income, I don't like having regular outgoings on a monthly basis, and I prefer to pay for things upfront. Otherwise one month I could be in a position of being broke. I can't even budget what I will earn a year, as it is entirely dependent on what comes to me, luck and hard work.

I'm not saying gap is worthless. But I'll buy it directly at a fraction of the price if I want it.

And yes I would spend 15k on something if they were not able to tell me all about the car. I'd just find out myself. I'm not even bothered about. Test drive for this car. It just needs to work, have some warrenty and not look like a disabled person is driving it.

The car sales guy is right though. I'm not not judging all dealers trying to earn a living, I'm just complaining as ones around me want to make life difficult.

With regards to going to a dealer with the offer... Can't be bothered. Would have to play the old game with the. Saying why they can't match it and explaining at I should pay more through them. Don't buy the argument that the car might turn up as a wreck and I'll have a big job sorting it out. Infact I'm more covered because of distance selling regs.

What?

Can you explain, possibly the whole, but certainly the bold, and unlike the post preferably in English?

hmmm just read though and see it's been answered / batted away...

Last edited:
Without wishing to go into my finances or work. I tend to receive large lump sums at once, and my income is not regular. One month I might get two grand into my current account, and another I might get 20 (although this is very very rare, and usually much closer to the smaller figure). So I simply make big purchases when I get big payments. Because of my income, I don't like having regular outgoings on a monthly basis, and I prefer to pay for things upfront. Otherwise one month I could be in a position of being broke. I can't even budget what I will earn a year, as it is entirely dependent on what comes to me, luck and hard work.

That's fine, a simple yes would have "sufficed". Totally understand your situation and that this way suits your unique situation. Unfortunately most dealers processes are developed and work for the majority. However if you find a "good" salesperson, there should be very little hassle, my advise on get your best price, then speak to your local dealer, still stands. Where abouts are you based, I might be able to recommend someone.

That's fine, a simple yes would have "sufficed". Totally understand your situation and that this way suits your unique situation. Unfortunately most dealers processes are developed and work for the majority. However if you find a "good" salesperson, there should be very little hassle, my advise on get your best price, then speak to your local dealer, still stands. Where abouts are you based, I might be able to recommend someone.

Hampshire. I didn't mean to come across as arsey :) I appreciate that you are trying to be helpful and give a fuller picture of things.

Maybe you are luckier than me.

Maybe, I don't know, but asking "How much is the straight purchase price of this car please?" normally received an answer of the straight asking price.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by pretty much all dealerships and their sales approach this time around compared to 10 years ago when they were practically chasing us down the lot to try and stop us getting back in the car :wacky:

Fabs, back when Motability didn't dispose of their own cars, but just dumped them back on their dealerships, they wouldn't pay extra for metallic paint. Funnily enough, as soon as they chose to remarket their own stock, they changed the policy!

However, back in the day, non-metallic dark blue was frequently known in the trade as "Motabilty blue", as well as "Doom blue' and "90-day blue" ... because that's how long the big dealer groups traditionally held their used cars before they traded out the stuff they couldn't sell! :LOL:

As for haggling, it's dead easy. Do it with a smile, respect the other side, and take a bit of time and you'll probably end up with a good enough deal from everybody's point of view. I've just seen Sammy's post that he's not prepared to waste any time visiting dealerships when he's spending tens of thousands of his own pounds. If my time were that valuable, I'd happily employ a personal shopper or pay a bit over the odds!

Instead, I was quite pleased when haggling for carpets and kelims in Morocco this year, that someone hissed at Yv "Your husband bargains like a Berber!" :cool: I don't doubt I paid more than I absolutely had to, but I think I paid rather less than most other tourists. Equally I don't doubt the vendors had some profit out of me, but that's what they use to buy their food and clothe their children!

Fabs, back when Motability didn't dispose of their own cars, but just dumped them back on their dealerships, they wouldn't pay extra for metallic paint. Funnily enough, as soon as they chose to remarket their own stock, they changed the policy!

However, back in the day, non-metallic dark blue was frequently known in the trade as "Motabilty blue", as well as "Doom blue' and "90-day blue" ... because that's how long the big dealer groups traditionally held their used cars before they traded out the stuff they couldn't sell! :LOL:

As for haggling, it's dead easy. Do it with a smile, respect the other side, and take a bit of time and you'll probably end up with a good enough deal from everybody's point of view. I've just seen Sammy's post that he's not prepared to waste any time visiting dealerships when he's spending tens of thousands of his own pounds. If my time were that valuable, I'd happily employ a personal shopper or pay a bit over the odds!

Instead, I was quite pleased when haggling for carpets and kelims in Morocco this year, that someone hissed at Yv "Your husband bargains like a Berber!" :cool: I don't doubt I paid more than I absolutely had to, but I think I paid rather less than most other tourists. Equally I don't doubt the vendors had some profit out of me, but that's what they use to buy their food and clothe their children!

Very very unfair. I said I did not have the time. I started work this morning (a Sunday, at 7am, that's in the office - I finished at 5.30). I'm now replying to emails and filling in forms, and will be at work tomorrow at 7am again. I won't see my house again until 9pm at the earliest.

No I mean disgusting looking car, which I cannot imagine anyone looking at and thinking "that looks great". Some cars looks are subjective, and some are plainly designed by a blind person.

Ah, so you're talking about cars you don't like the look of so you associate that with disabled people? Ok, that's good to know.

Oh, btw, I'm disabled and drive a motability vehicle. It's a Ford Focus so I guess you won't be wanting one of those either.

Ah, so you're talking about cars you don't like the look of so you associate that with disabled people? Ok, that's good to know.

Oh, btw, I'm disabled and drive a motability vehicle. It's a Ford Focus so I guess you won't be wanting one of those either.

I feel like a right b*****d.

It was a tongue in cheek comment. Apologies if it offended.

There's some good points made in this thread but one that gets my goat from working in the trade is I don't have time for patter, I just want a price. From a sales point of view I want to know the car I'm hoping to sell is going to be fit for the purpose intended if the potential customer hasn't done all their homework.

Just today I had a customer wanting to buy a new car to tow their caravan, the problem was they hadn't bought the caravan and as such didn't know what weight the car had to tow... How am I supposed to sell a car to suit their needs without any "patter", in my job it's called qualification or finding out the essentials and making sure the customer gets the best deal. If I ask the right questions the customer should feel:

1) I've presented the correct car
2) The figures are right
And
3) I haven't pee'd them off.

If all three of those are right I stand a chance , if you don't want the patter your never going to get the best deal.

There's some good points made in this thread but one that gets my goat from working in the trade is I don't have time for patter, I just want a price. From a sales point of view I want to know the car I'm hoping to sell is going to be fit for the purpose intended if the potential customer hasn't done all their homework.

Just today I had a customer wanting to buy a new car to tow their caravan, the problem was they hadn't bought the caravan and as such didn't know what weight the car had to tow... How am I supposed to sell a car to suit their needs without any "patter", in my job it's called qualification or finding out the essentials and making sure the customer gets the best deal. If I ask the right questions the customer should feel:

1) I've presented the correct car
2) The figures are right
And
3) I haven't pee'd them off.

If all three of those are right I stand a chance , if you don't want the patter your never going to get the best deal.

Should have just recommended a Navara :)

What about people who have done their homework and come in knowing exactly what they want? People who might not even be interested in a test drive and simply want to find out if you can hit a price?

When you go into tesco's do you expect to be qualified and interrogated incase you need mayo or salad cream? I know we are talking orders of magnitude difference in price, but not everyone needs advice or help. And respectfully if I had a question, I would ask it. If I cocked up and brought the wrong car I'd take responsibility for it and deal with it.

And incase I am coming across ad a grumpy tired sod. I don't mean to and I'm not having a pop. But the idea that all customers need advice and help seems very condescending to me.

If someone comes in knowing exactly what they want and what they want to pay it's generally a case of checking that if I can match that price they would want to buy, confirm the options and see what I can do.

Working with GT-R I do tend to get a fair few of these and it's generally a very pleasant conversation and most customers understand I am just confirming car, options and price to match with the majority who promise a financial commitment if I can achieve their aim following through.

Might be worth your while to drift through the Motability website. Feeling like a bell end or not it makes interesting reading in terms of choice. Fancy a Merc - some there.

A neighbour just got a brand new Astra GT C 2.0 TD Coupe SRi 165bhp. 49 mpg £300 deposit and his full weekly Mobility DLA (£49 approx per week) - incudes RFL, Insurance, servicing, tyres RAC etc

Damn those disabled people driving around in ugly cars eh? He could have saved a whole £300 if he had just chosen a zero deposit Matiz.

S

Last edited:
On Sat i went to a Citroen dealer to buy a Berlingo van to use as a dog van.The first salesman was terrible but luckily he was going off shift.The next salesman took us through the van, telling us its history, details about the van etc etc.We started negotiating which went very well and we were just a few hundred pounds from a deal.The sales manager then came in to help the process and told me the van was non vat qualifying--so i didnt need to pay any vat.Their website says +VAT.So i ended up with a van around £1400(no vat) plus £600 lower than the advertised price which is much less than expected, got road tax, 2 new tyres ( van was a year old), service and a few other bits thrown in..My first dealing with a Citroen main dealer and i came away very happy.

I have to admit that in general, I'm an impatient so-and-so when it comes to wanting a straight answer and things done as I want them done. I've never been a fan of car dealerships, namely because you have to sit through all the GAP insurance spiel and the stuff about insurances, finance packages etc... I just want to be put out of my misery, especially when it comes to them telling me how much my trade-in (isn't) worth.

However, because inside I'm grumpy but on the outside I've been brought up to be polite, I'll sit through everything the salesman says. Inside I'm gagging to just get down to the nitty-gritty but I know it's not right to be rude and not give that person an opportunity to do their job.

I was looking for a car the other year and like the OP, I was getting annoyed with the fact that it was the monthly finance cost that was displayed before the actual screen price. But it's a sign of the times and as has already been stated, there are more and more people using finance and personal contracts and I suppose it reflects the ay people buy cars these days. I still look at the overall cost, it's a force of habit, but I'm starting to come round to the idea of monthly costs. But I'd never buy blind; the whole pint of buying a car IMO is to sit in it, test it, see what it has or hasn't got compared to my current car. Test the boot space, see what marks are on it, play with the gizmos.... it's a hands-on experience

Last edited:
Back