Why has no-one ever mentioned this before?!?!

jamesb84

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Don't know, but it really is very easy to dev your own b+w films and unless you don't have the equipment have a go on some cheap film at home first.

Don't know, but it really is very easy to dev your own b+w films and unless you don't have the equipment have a go on some cheap film at home first.

Ah see I have no equipment at all, and don't want the initial outlay really. Could be a good opportunity to try a range of different chemicals without large costs as well...there was some logic involved here!

Public darkrooms are a great idea in principle and sometimes in practice, but they can be a real bunfight. They're really only worthwhile for printing, which requires space and running water.
You can't rely on anything being cared for properly, enlarging lenses and condensers will probably need to be cleaned before you begin, drying cabinets will be opened to let dust in, wet negatives dangled against dry ones and developer contaminated by muppets. If you find a good community resource that's well policed they can be very good.

To develop B&W film you can set up a tank really cheaply and follow the instructions on the packet.

I'm not sure - i'm happy enough developing stuff at home, but if there was a darkroom where I could have a bash at wet printing again (for old times sake) nearby i'd probably consider it. Sadly, it's something like a 100 mile round trip to any of them listed for me, so I'll stick with my hybrid approach.

Public darkrooms are a great idea in principle and sometimes in practice, but they can be a real bunfight. They're really only worthwhile for printing, which requires space and running water.
You can't rely on anything being cared for properly, enlarging lenses and condensers will probably need to be cleaned before you begin, drying cabinets will be opened to let dust in, wet negatives dangled against dry ones and developer contaminated by muppets. If you find a good community resource that's well policed they can be very good.

To develop B&W film you can set up a tank really cheaply and follow the instructions on the packet.

Hmmm, I can imagine there being issues...I'm prepared to give it a bash. As I said to Ed, I don't really want the initial outlay for chemicals and equipment.

According to the Ilford site, the RPS has a darkroom in Bath...which could be well run, however, I can't find out any info.

Hmm, nearest one to me is 'Preston Community Arts Project' which descibes itself thus:

"As an arts based community development company we use art in a dynamic way to support regeneration, social cohesion and community development. We prioritise work with hard to reach and socially excluded individuals, groups and communities."

Somehow think that as a working, white, male, I may not be part of their target audience :(

Hmm, nearest one to me is 'Preston Community Arts Project' which descibes itself thus:

"As an arts based community development company we use art in a dynamic way to support regeneration, social cohesion and community development. We prioritise work with hard to reach and socially excluded individuals, groups and communities."

Somehow think that as a working, white, male, I may not be part of their target audience :(

Depressingly, thats the nearest one to me, too... :thumbsdown:

They can't exactly turn you away though...maybe a few white, working males might prompt some "social cohesion"... :shrug:

Photography as a way of building bridges!!??

Sure you could easily pick up a dev tank, 35mm reel and thermometer off that auction site for peanuts.
Xtol or 1d11 is only a fiver, fix is about the same, just use a wash instead of stop bath, clothes pegs for film clips, and you've spent at most £15.

Almost as cheap as driving and petrol.

Reason I say is that with B+W it's best to start as you mean to go on, and if you get hooked then at least you've got something to look back on.

I've still got my first home developed film and b+w print, they are really rubbish, but we all have to start somewhere.
There are loads of tutorials you can follow or drop me an email if you have any questions.

Just make sure you shoot either FP4 or Tri-X and you won't go far wrong ;)
(It's on the internet now so it must be true..)

I've probably over-egged the problems without stressing the advantages of community darkrooms. There's one in Mirfield, West Yorkshire at the West Yorkshire Print workshop that's very under-used and you'd have the run of it yourself, as most members are interested in screen, etching, lino and other print media. OTOH I used to use one in East London that was full to bursting with amateurs, pro's and semi professionals all fighting for space.

A good compromise if there's still a wet darkroom available is a nightclass at a local college of further education. Abilities vary widely but experienced users are generally left to their own devices and there are good crit sessions to develop technique and thinking.

I've probably over-egged the problems without stressing the advantages of community darkrooms. There's one in Mirfield, West Yorkshire at the West Yorkshire Print workshop that's very under-used and you'd have the run of it yourself, as most members are interested in screen, etching, lino and other print media.

Thats more like it!

I have mentioned it before http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=1669837&postcount=5 ;)

I use one in Hackney almost every week as I don't have the room in my shared flat at the moment. There do seem to be a few darkrooms that are popping up that aren't listed on the Ilford site too. Obviously they have their good points and bad. Bad points, no control over dev/stop/fix brands & strengths, etc. I've often shared with newbs who flood light into the darkroom turning the enlarger on without the film carrier in. Contamination from dipping the dev tongs into the fix etc. Also my darkroom has shocking facilities for drying fibre based prints, I do it at home now. Cost per hour can add up too. Good points are that I can turn up and work a few hours with everything set up. Don't have to mix chemicals or store or wash the place down afterwards. All in all, I'd rather have my own space for the control but using a community darkroom means I can acutally do some printing now while I have no room at home.

Last edited:
Hi James,

There is an small annual fee and then a per hour fee - but it might be what you are looking for if you do want to do your own developing and printing. I found that waiting until I had a couple of rolls of film ready to go worked out cheaper than taking it to the shop.

Yes, I found that this centre was quite good. Someone around to show you the bits and pieces at first and then you can do your own thing. It was never really that busy when I went on a weekday. They do some short courses there so the equipment was cared for I thought. Some enlargers worked better than others - but that is often the case anyway.

Enjoy if you do make it there.

Last edited:
Hi James,

There is an small annual fee and then a per hour fee - but it might be what you are looking for if you do want to do your own developing and printing. I found that waiting until I had a couple of rolls of film ready to go worked out cheaper than taking it to the shop.

Yes, I found that this centre was quite good. Someone around to show you the bits and pieces at first and then you can do your own thing. It was never really that busy when I went on a weekday. They do some short courses there so the equipment was cared for I thought. Some enlargers worked better than others - but that is often the case anyway.

Enjoy if you do make it there.

Ali, that's great stuff...I wasn't expecting anyone to have experience of the St Pauls centre actually! Reckon I might give it a shot...if I enjoy it then I'd possibly consider laying out for my own kit.

You're welcome. There used to be a few more places in Bristol but most of them suffered local government cuts a couple of years ago. I think quite a few locals have shifted to doing their stuff there so it might also be a place to get some support and know-how too. It's been a couple of years since I used it - so you might want to take the tour and ask them what materials etc. they still have there before you hand over the dosh.

Good luck.

They can't exactly turn you away though...maybe a few white, working males might prompt some "social cohesion"... :shrug:

Photography as a way of building bridges!!??

Maybe, but their website is so full of PC sounding stuff, that I'm not even sure I'd want to be involved. Oh, and I can't find any mention of a darkroom either
:(

Back