Why hasn't mirroless taken over?

I have a D600, which is already comfortable... My current Grail DSLR is a D850 (failing that a D750 / D780). I will try both and pick the one that feels the best. As mentioned, I purchased a grip for my D600, looking forward to using it !

Please let us know how you like the D600 grip.

Nikon 105.jpg

Well, following my last post about that here, I installed it for the first time (received it only today).

Wow is it great! Finally my pinky finger has somewhere to go other than under the camera body! Love the extra battery capacity and the ability to swap to Portrait and keep the position of the controls... It will live on my D600 from now on.

I agree, it helps balance the camera with a heavier lens.

How are you liking yours on your new D780 ?

Really liking mine, for the same reasons that you do. And with two batteries, I'll get close to 5000 images without swapping them out. That's a lifetime for me. I shoot digitally like I did when burning slide film. The Nikon 105 f/2.5 pictured here, is the original, pre-AI version (1959 design), that I modified to use on the digi bodies. Fantastic, legendary lens.

Hold On.JPG

A Tele? Pah! Try a 1970s Les Paul! Many many kilos of back-breaking mahogany and maple.... ;)

Seriously though, I have a Les Paul CM, it's a "thin body" Les Paul with 1 pickup.. no weight relief... It must be made from mahogany and lead, as it outweighs every guitar I have (including a Framus Renegade in Swamp Ash with an Ovankol neck).

It rivals a 1995 Les Paul Standard I had, no weight relief... man that was heavy...

A band I played in late 70s, the other guitar player bought a new ash strat - it was an absolute boat anchor & must have been at least 10lb. We swapped guitars briefly and I loathed it, even though mine was nothing special. Also had a work colleague with an 11-12lb 70s LP with maple sandwich body. :p

My heaviest guitar is a washburn performer series A20V from the early 80s, but that's under 10lb* and my Les Paul is lighter. Number 2 strat is about 6 1/2lb, which is nice. :D

*re-started playing bass about 10 years ago - now THAT is heavy.

I had a J type to begin - loved the skinny neck, but not the weight so much. Also have a P type that's a bit lighter and a defretted Yamaha 5 string that's 'sensible'. Popped some Fender Geddy Lee PUs into the J and it sounded good, so I'll put up with the weight.

Been doing some research, pros and cons. It seems the pros outweigh the cons these days?

Nevertheless, I know many of you love/prefer DSLR. Why would you buy a Nikon D3500 when Canon M50 MkII mirroless costs just a smidge more?

There must be more to this than meets my eye, so why are DSLR holding their own and why isn't morrorless taking over? (or is it?)
Sorry to say but I strongly doubt the EF-M lens mount that the 2021 Canon M50 Mark II is built upon will be produce further because of the RF-S lens mount.

I think the EF & F mount will end production as early as 2024 or as late as before 2030.

I hang out with a fair few photographers, all of whom have made the upgrade to mirrorless. I think it depends on needs. For me, photographing children and weddings, the next sensible move is to get the Canon R6, the focus is amazing and the camerabody so much lighter.

I hang out with a fair few photographers, all of whom have made the upgrade to mirrorless. I think it depends on needs. For me, photographing children and weddings, the next sensible move is to get the Canon R6, the focus is amazing and the camerabody so much lighter.

Eye or even just face detect coupled with the ability to focus accurately anywhere in the frame could be both revelations and a game changers for people shots.

Eye or even just face detect coupled with the ability to focus accurately anywhere in the frame could be both revelations and a game changers for people shots.
It definitely was for me but like you know just going to mirrorless isn't the answer you also need the newer auto focus. Going from an A7R to an A7C with the latest AF has been amazing for photographing my children running around. It feels like cheating.

Last 6 years worldwide shipments of digital still cameras.

Year201720182019202020212022 forecast
Total Cameras24,978,48619,423,37115,216,9578,886,2928,361,5217,850,000
Point & Shoot13,302,7978,663,5746,755,4673,578,6433,013,2502,560,000
Total SLR & Mirrorless11,675,68910,759,7978,461,4905,307,6495,348,2715,290,000
SLR7,595,7086,620,9994,504,9872,374,5692,241,772-
Mirrorless4,079,9814,138,7983,956,5032,933,0803,106,499-

Digital camers: dSLR vs Mirrorless (no smartphone & point & shoot)

8T1R2Lv.png

2000 had ~10 million total cameras shipped globally
1999 had ~5 million total cameras shipped globally

I will not be surprised that we will stabilize at <6.7 million

Last edited:
So pretty meaningless then.

It puts to numbers where we are on "Why hasn't mirroless taken over?" ;)

dSLR R&D spending has stopped for Nikon & Canon.

Whatever dSLR body, lens & accessories in stock right now will be continued to be produced based on demand.

Last edited:
It puts to numbers where we are on "Why hasn't mirroless taken over?" ;)

dSLR R&D spending has stopped for Nikon & Canon.

Whatever dSLR body, lens & accessories in stock right now will be continued to be produced based on demand.
However, it looks at the photography market with one eye closed.

I am reminded of a discussion about plasma screen TVs. The picture quality was arguably superior to the newer LED technology, but they supposedly stopped making them 'cos "they are too difficult / expensive to manufacture and they last too long". I have a Panasonic plasma which has given good service for 12 years or more.

I suspect that DSLRs are more difficult and expensive to manufacture than mirrorless (not sure if they last any longer) so the "move to mirrorless" suits the manufacturers and to a certain extent they will try to control the market.

There are undoubted advantages to mirrorless. I have one foot in the Fujifilm camp, but I can't quite bring myself to relinquish Nikon DSLRs.

These are the number of mirrorless body SKUs as listed on BHPhoto

Full frame

- Canon: 5
- Nikon: 4
- Sony: 9

APS-C

- Canon: 2 RF-S & 2 EF-M
- Nikon: 3
- Sony: 4

Odds are likely that Canon & Nikon will add more mirrorless body SKUs to match the varying price points established by Sony.

The number of ASP-C bodies are reflective on how smartphones have encroached into the consumer dSLR market.

Sony has a full frame that's less than $900, the 2014 Sony a7 II. It is $100 cheaper than the 2019 Canon EOS RP. These two full frame bodies are cheaper than any other full frame dSLR I could remember and that is in year 2022 money.

Last edited:
Back