Why hide EXIF info?

@Southdowns Oh and while were banging on about prop blur... that plane uses a fixed propeller, and it's speed is dependant upon engine revs. Use my metadata and you'll get utterly different results if it was on the apron idling, and utterly different results if it was climbing under full power. You don't learn stuff like this from metadata, you learn it through EXPERIENCE and practice... or by talking to other photographers with experience.

It really depends on the situation, I stumbled into photography 'seriously' from an interest in aviation and EXIF did help me get an idea of what was possible with what settings. A Q400 coming in to land at Leeds-Bradford is going to be configured very similarly to one landing at Gatwick, if someone gets prop blur at 1/125th at LGW there's no reason why I can't get similar results on one landing at LBA, in that sense EXIF can give you an idea of rough settings to try and from there you can fiddle until you start getting it right.

Of course there are variables that affect the speed of the prop but that doesn't mean every single circumstance concerning a prop aircraft is different.

Last edited:
That image I posted was the first time I ever shot anything at an airshow... and possibly the last. I knew roughly what speeds to use because I understand shutter speeds, how they work, and roughly what speed stops what by experience. I didn't need to look at metadata. I made an educated guess... took a test, and realised I was close, and made a one stop adjustment. It took 5 seconds. I could confidently say I can produce professional results at any genre I decide to shoot... anything, because I understand the principles behind photography intimately. There's no such thing as a (inset genre here) photographer: There are just photographers, and then there are those that just learn a few tricks by rote and are limited in their experience as a result.

I don't understand why people would choose not to embark upon a path of discovery when learning this craft. Why the recent desire for shortcuts and information that allows them to take stuff by copying other people's settings and not fully understanding WHY those settings are appropriate? It's as if the actual taking of the image is some kind of encumbrance they can't be arsed engaging with. They only want the results, not the journey that learning will afford them.

You see it all the time: People who have been on here for ages who normally shoot (for argument's sake) Landscape, asking what settings they'll need for shooting a rock band on a stage at night with no flash. Why they asking? If you're a photographer, surely you should KNOW what settings you will most likely need, even though you've never done it before? It will be dark, and they will be moving around a lot... well DUH!... why would you need to ask? They need to ask because they can't work it out, and they can't work it out because they haven't had the full gamut of experience shooting a wide variety of stuff. They've probably just learned the minimum they need to know to produce what they produce, and learned that by rote and copying others, and haven't really engaged with learning their craft fully.

A good, talented, learned photographer could shoot anything required of them, even stuff they've never shot before, and wouldn't need to ask such questions.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people would choose not to embark upon a path of discovery when learning this craft. Why the recent desire for shortcuts and information that allows them to take stuff by copying other people's settings and not fully understanding WHY those settings are appropriate?

And I don't understand why some people assume those who say EXIF has been useful are *only* using EXIF. What possible bizarre train of thought leads you to believe those who've used EXIF for certain things haven't also learned by other means? EXIF has been useful for me but I've spent thousands of hours learning from experimenting as I'm sure many others have.

I'll also add that I've never looked at the EXIF info on non-aviation shots, it was purely an aviation thing where you know how far away the photographer was, where they were, etc. If such information is available and it helps then why not use it? For the vast majority of the time aviation photography is record photography and has no real artistic value; most people's images look the same anyway so the whole argument of copying someone else's work doesn't really make any sense. For more general photography I agree that looking at EXIF is largely pointless but that doesn't necessarily mean every single circumstance is the same.

Last edited:
They only want the results, not the journey that learning will afford them.

It's not just photography though. I see exactly the same in fishing these days. Buy this gear, set it up this way, go to that place and bingo. Everyone seems to want instant results without having to do any hard work.

:Grumpy old man face:

...and so begins the dumbing down of an entire species :)

So people want instant/quicker results these days, why is that 'dumbing down'? As an example, if I want to perform a particular task on photoshop that I have no idea how to perform, I have a few choices of how I get that information.

I can either get in my car, drive to town and visit WH Smiths where I can buy a book on photoshop.

I can come on TP, go into the processing section and ask for help.

I can look on youtube for a tutorial.

I dont want to spend time going out and buying a book, or waiting for explanations from people. I want to know the answer 'now', and will be able get that information by looking at a youtube video.

This is the nature of society today, and its not a bad thing in my opinion. Information when you want it! If looking at someones exif even gives you a smallest clue of how something has been done, then it is not useless.

People hide their EXIF data because they'd rather not have other photographers 'learn' from their photographs/settings in order to improve their own technique.

It's a selfish ideology.

[EDIT] I actually have a brilliant example of the above scenario. Working with another local photographer a few months ago we were shooting together at the same event when I asked "So what sort of ISO are you using for this level of lighting and what aperture do you find yields the best results?"... His response: "Well, I can't really tell you that kind of stuff... Sorry! I can't have you getting as good as me!"

Last edited:
People hide their EXIF data because they'd rather not have other photographers 'learn' from their photographs/settings in order to improve their own technique.

It's a selfish ideology.

[EDIT] I actually have a brilliant example of the above scenario. Working with another local photographer a few months ago we were shooting together at the same event when I asked "So what sort of ISO are you using for this level of lighting and what aperture do you find yields the best results?"... His response: "Well, I can't really tell you that kind of stuff... Sorry! I can't have you getting as good as me!"
Which makes him a tosser! And probably clueless too.

If you knew my settings that wouldn't make you 'as good as me', if you were shooting with me it'd make my processing easier.

What would make you 'as good as me' is talent not knowledge. Being as good as me is nothing to write home about, but if I relied on keeping my settings a secret I'd be truly screwed. Given the thousands of other sources of information.

If you knew my settings that wouldn't make you 'as good as me', if you were shooting with me it'd make my processing easier.

What would make you 'as good as me' is talent not knowledge. Being as good as me is nothing to write home about, but if I relied on keeping my settings a secret I'd be truly screwed. Given the thousands of other sources of information.

Indeed. To be honest, I wasn't bothered about being as "good" as him, our styles are completely different. I was merely curious about his technique and thought I'd make idle conversation. I didn't expect that kind of response - all it did was show him up a bit...

That image I posted was the first time I ever shot anything at an airshow... and possibly the last. I knew roughly what speeds to use because I understand shutter speeds, how they work, and roughly what speed stops what by experience. I didn't need to look at metadata. I made an educated guess... took a test, and realised I was close, and made a one stop adjustment. It took 5 seconds. I could confidently say I can produce professional results at any genre I decide to shoot... anything, because I understand the principles behind photography intimately. There's no such thing as a (inset genre here) photographer: There are just photographers, and then there are those that just learn a few tricks by rote and are limited in their experience as a result.
I don't understand why people would choose not to embark upon a path of discovery when learning this craft. Why the recent desire for shortcuts and information that allows them to take stuff by copying other people's settings and not fully understanding WHY those settings are appropriate? It's as if the actual taking of the image is some kind of encumbrance they can't be arsed engaging with. They only want the results, not the journey that learning will afford them.
You see it all the time: People who have been on here for ages who normally shoot (for argument's sake) Landscape, asking what settings they'll need for shooting a rock band on a stage at night with no flash. Why they asking? If you're a photographer, surely you should KNOW what settings you will most likely need, even though you've never done it before? It will be dark, and they will be moving around a lot... well DUH!... why would you need to ask? They need to ask because they can't work it out, and they can't work it out because they haven't had the full gamut of experience shooting a wide variety of stuff. They've probably just learned the minimum they need to know to produce what they produce, and learned that by rote and copying others, and haven't really engaged with learning their craft fully.
A good, talented, learned photographer could shoot anything required of them, even stuff they've never shot before, and wouldn't need to ask such questions.

Wow. good for you.
I used to take time and read your posts but following this thread with your pedantic behaviour, ignorance and downright arrogance has made me change my opinions of you both.
IMO you are no better than a pair of trolls. (have you tried sorting out the bird section yet?) smilies not working or I would post one.

Wow. good for you.
I used to take time and read your posts but following this thread with your pedantic behaviour, ignorance and downright arrogance has made me change my opinions of you both.
IMO you are no better than a pair of trolls. (have you tried sorting out the bird section yet?) smilies not working or I would post one.
Ok?

Just read that post again and see if you can honestly find arrogant?

Wow. good for you.

What the heck are you talking about?

Wow. good for you.

Eh? In what possible way could Phil's reply have been taken that way?

Ditto and Christof liked the outburst? Takes all sorts I suppose. I thought we were having a fairly grown up discussion.

I just thought that all the arguing and one-upmanship that sadly derailed the thread was worth noting! There are lots of really knowledgeable and helpful people on here, the tone of some of the debate in this thread doesn't do anyone any favours I suppose as I doubt very much we would talk to each other in the same way if it were face to face, that's all

I just thought that all the arguing and one-upmanship that sadly derailed the thread was worth noting! There are lots of really knowledgeable and helpful people on here, the tone of some of the debate in this thread doesn't do anyone any favours I suppose as I doubt very much we would talk to each other in the same way if it were face to face, that's all
But what you quoted of me? If we were having a chat and you told me you'd worked with a photographer who wouldn't share his settings. On the first pint, if we were just getting to know each other, I'd have used the same phrase. After the 4th, or if we were mates? It'd have been nowhere near as polite. ;)

Reactions: PMN
But what you quoted of me? If we were having a chat and you told me you'd worked with a photographer who wouldn't share his settings. On the first pint, if we were just getting to know each other, I'd have used the same phrase. After the 4th, or if we were mates? It'd have been nowhere near as polite. ;)
This would be in a pub then? :)

It seems that we have a volatile (and at times vitriolic) mix here of experts, "experts", and than those looking to learn.

Pretty much each and every time a non-expert asks a valid question, the experts and the "experts" arrive to 'do battle', things get heated, and the original question is lost.

Photography is a process of continuous learning, and if it wasn't it could easily become boring, as there would be no challenge.

Being a professional does not mean that you know ALL the answers. Although retired, I was a Senior Technical Manager, Consultant Engineer in Electromagnetic Compatibility, but I was still learning new things until the day I retired, as technology and techniques continue to evolve.

Many photographers are very set in their ways, and get very uptight when someone suggests something that they disagree with, and can come across as "I'm an expert, so I must be right". They may of course be right, but their 'Holier-than- thou' manner does them no credit, and just serves to antagonize.

I have been an amateur photographer for over 50 years, but do I know all the answers?. Certainly not, as I am still learning new things, which is what holds my interest.

I have a good collection of fairly 'high end' kit, that probably exceeds my ability to get the best from it, but does that make me a better photographer. Of course it doesn't.

134 replies to this 'thread' so far, and still it goes on, with the opposing sides still well 'dug in'. :rolleyes:

Dave

Last edited:
I didnt "like" the post in direct relation to any particular person or post. I was imagining a relative newb photographer (e.g me!) or someone just stumbling across the thread being put off the site by the way the thread had gone and the tone of some of the posts.

Wow. good for you.

I'm explaining that if you learn how stuff works, instead of just doing what you're told, or doing what you see demonstrated, you'll learn more, learn faster and remember it easier and for longer. These are facts. If you choose not to accept that someone who learns this way will be able to shoot anything, and be fully in control of their equipment, and ultimately be a much better photographer then that's up to you, but I'm afraid it's true. A good photographer who learned properly could shoot anything he/she is asked to shoot with equal facility. They wouldn't need to ask how to shoot something different because it's all photography. I'm trying to reassure people that worrying about seeing the EXIF on a shot you want to know how to create is not the end of the world. Try asking the photographer who took the image instead of moaning about the fact that they've not included metadata.

I didnt "like" the post in direct relation to any particular person or post. I was imagining a relative newb photographer (e.g me!) or someone just stumbling across the thread being put off the site by the way the thread had gone and the tone of some of the posts.

You mean people telling them that looking at EXIF is useless, and that it's far better to learn by practice and experimentation once they understand the basics? How do you know they'd not actually prefer that? I know my students do. If I was told when I was learning (which I actually was) that a good photographer could shoot anything they needed to, and a bad one could only shoot what they're used to, I'd have found that inspirational actually.

I dont want to spend time going out and buying a book, or waiting for explanations from people. I want to know the answer 'now', and will be able get that information by looking at a youtube video.

This is the nature of society today, and its not a bad thing in my opinion. Information when you want it! If looking at someones exif even gives you a smallest clue of how something has been done, then it is not useless.

Who said asking for help is wrong? One of the thing's I've been advising is asking the photographer instead of snooping in their metadata.

The difference is that you want to know how to retouch something in a certain way, so you go to You Tube and look at a tutorial, and just copy what you see. There will be loads in there you may not get, as they were intended for an earlier lesson. It may include layer masks for instance, and you've never used those, so you skip that part and just wind on to the bit where you actually do the retouching... just because you want a fast result. Your education is incomplete.

I have nothing against information when you want it. Phone numbers, facts, data... but learning has no shortcuts I'm afraid. It just doesn't

The fact is, photographers these days, technically, are not as good as they used to be. People can't be arsed learning.. takes too much time. There's a "That'll do" attitude.

:(

It seems that we have a volatile (and at times vitriolic) mix here of experts, "experts", and than those looking to learn.

Pretty much each and every time a non-expert asks a valid question, the experts and the "experts" arrive to 'do battle', things get heated, and the original question is lost.

Seems to me it's the ones that want to learn who are doing the arguing. These days, even those asking for help will start arguing with you if you don't tell them what they want to hear.

Looking at metadata is not big deal. There are MUCH better ways to learn... MUCH better. But hey... what do I know huh? :)

Photography is a process of continuous learning, and if it wasn't it could easily become boring, as there would be no challenge.

Chellenges like looking at metadata to copy what others do? Wow.. hard core.

Being a professional does not mean that you know ALL the answers. Although retired, I was a Senior Technical Manager, Consultant Engineer in Electromagnetic Compatibility, but I was still learning new things until the day I retired, as technology and techniques continue to evolve.

Of course not, and I still learn things every single day. I knew my post would bring out the insecurities left right and centre. I'm saying I could shoot anything asked of me, and I'd do a damned good job of it. Not because I'm superhuman, but because I'm a photographer. Just as you'd expect a plumber to be able to fix whatever plumbing needs you have, I expect a photographer to be able to cope with whatever is asked of them. If a plumber said, "Sorry luv... can't do that. I'm a shower plumber... what you need is a toilet plumber" you'd be appalled that such a person could call themselves a professional plumber. It's the same thing. A decent professional photographer could shoot whatever you asked them to shoot... no problem.

Many photographers are very set in their ways, and get very uptight when someone suggests something that they disagree with, and can come across as "I'm an expert, so I must be right". They may of course be right, but their 'Holier-than- thou' manner does them no credit, and just serves to antagonize.

Stop trying to analyse me.. won't work :) I'm trying to get people to see that the ways in which they are learning suck!

I have been an amateur photographer for over 50 years, but do I know all the answers?. Certainly not, as I am still learning new things, which is what holds my interest.

Well... technically, there's not much left for me to learn, and this is why I just have a calm acceptance that I've learned as much as I'll ever learn technically. If that makes me arrogant, then tough titties, because it's true. Only when new stuff comes around do I get a chance to learn something new technically. There's a whole other world of photography that's far more engaging than techy stuff though... but my point is, if learning for you is part of the attraction, why are you so against the the advice Phil and I are giving, which is essentially, proper, old fashioned learning of skills through study, practice and experimentation?

I genuinely feel you are objecting because you don't like me. Which is a little childish isn't it? Well.. you know what? Many of my students don't like me either, but I'm not there to be liked. I'm their to teach them. I've lost count of the conversations at graduation along the lines of "You were a total bast**d sometimes, but thank you, I needed the kick up the arse", and many of these are now friends I remain in touch with. I'm not a nasty person, but I don't arse about. They've got 3 years to learn a **** load of stuff. I just get stuff done.

I have a good collection of fairly 'high end' kit, that probably exceeds my ability to get the best from it, but does that make me a better photographer. Of course it doesn't.

I don't even know why you needed to say that. Of course not.

I think I've gone as far as I can in this thread. Those that think metadata is the way to go will still copy what others do parrot fashion and think they're learning. Stupid is as stupid does an' all that.

Over and out.

Last edited:
I totally agree.
Unfortunately, one half of the argument is based on facts, the other half is based on some unfounded opinions, when peoples unfounded opinions are challenged they tend to get argumentative. Unfortunately though, that doesn't alter the 'facts'.:)

And even more unfortunately, it makes those who stick to the facts just look belligerent too :(.

I delete mine so the aliens can't track my whereabouts when I'm shooting.

Now has anyone seen my tinfoil hat?

:coat:

The more tools you have in yer tool box the better. Tools, yeh tools!!

In all seriousness though, I don't make a conscious decision to delete any EXIF, if it gets stripped in photoshop, so be it.
On the other hand, there may be no EXIF on some of my shots because most film cameras aren't exactly known for embedding metadata in the image and I often can't be bothered taking notes on every frame.

Silly of me to ask, Phil :)
It was your Freudian slip...

134 replies to this 'thread' so far, and still it goes on, with the opposing sides still well 'dug in'. :rolleyes:

Oh please. I've changed my thoughts from all info in the exif to copyright and contact info only ;) :D

Stop trying to analyse me.. won't work :) I'm trying to get people to see that the ways in which they are learning suck!.

Not trying to analyse you David, psychology is not my area of expertise. However, while I don't doubt your knowledge, I do doubt your ability to put your views across to others, in a professional manner.

This surprises me, because you tell us that you teach students, i.e. you are a photography teacher, and to me at least, your mannerism in this 'thread', doesn't portray that of a teacher.

In fairness, this may be a 'front' used by David Pookeyhead, the forum contributor, and in reality this not 'real you', because if it is, then in a class of mature students, you wouldn't last 5 minutes.

why are you so against the the advice Phil and I are giving, which is essentially, proper, old fashioned learning of skills through study, practice and experimentation?

I'm not against the advice that you and Phil are giving, and nowhere in this 'thread' have I said so. It is the arrogant "I'm a professional and teach this stuff" manner in which it is delivered that doesn't sit well on a forum that is supposed to be about helping others. I'm not including Phil in this, as he has a much better way of getting his point across, without antagonising people, and without the "I'm a pro, so I must be right" approach.

I genuinely feel you are objecting because you don't like me. Which is a little childish isn't it?

I can neither like nor dislike you David, as I don't know you. I can only form an impression from what I see of you on the forum, and that is as described above.

However, as I said earlier, this may not be representative of the 'real you', and you could well be a really nice guy to share a pint with. As for being childish, I think that at the age of 72, I've seen enough of life and people, to be way beyond any childishness. In any case, life is just too short for that, especially when you realise that you are already a long way down 'life's road'.

Sometimes in life, its better to agree to disagree, rather than to perpetuate a circular argument, that will always become unpleasant.

Dave

I'm not against the advice that you and Phil are giving, and nowhere in this 'thread' have I said so. It is the arrogant "I'm a professional and teach this stuff" manner in which it is delivered that doesn't sit well on a forum that is supposed to be about helping others. I'm not including Phil in this, as he has a much better way of getting his point across, without antagonising people, and without the "I'm a pro, so I must be right" approach....
Dave
Dave, here's David's and my initial posts in this thread:
Yes it's been covered before - no it's not a big deal.
Really honestly, if you think that copying peoples 'settings' will get you anywhere, you're on completely the wrong track. Here's the clue though 'it's all about the light'.
But this will now descend into a ridiculous discussion from which you will learn very little about photography and lots about Forum politics.
Get some popcorn and enjoy the ride.
If I strip EXIF, it's because it contains client details I've got no right to broadcast to the world... apart from that, I don't give a damn if it's there or not.
See above.
What you see as 'arrogant' is what comes from saying the same thing over and over again to people who just come back with 'yeah but' pointless arguments.

And you might see 'pointless arguments' as arrogant, but not one person has proven that people hide their exif out of spite (as has been suggested) or given a concrete example of an actual useful thing which can be learned from EXIF alone.

Thus exasperation takes over.

I think that at the age of 72, I've seen enough of life and people, to be way beyond any childishness. In any case, life is just too short for that, especially when you realise that you are already a long way down 'life's road'.

I'm no spring chicken myself!

Not trying to analyse you David, psychology is not my area of expertise. However, while I don't doubt your knowledge, I do doubt your ability to put your views across to others, in a professional manner.

This surprises me, because you tell us that you teach students, i.e. you are a photography teacher, and to me at least, your mannerism in this 'thread', doesn't portray that of a teacher.

As I'm sick of saying... I'm not at work.

In fairness, this may be a 'front' used by David Pookeyhead, the forum contributor, and in reality this not 'real you', because if it is, then in a class of mature students, you wouldn't last 5 minutes.

I don't have a front, but I'm genuinely not at work, and while I may patiently repeat myself to those that choose not to listen while at work, I have no desire to do so in here, where I can just speak my mind.

Last edited:
But this will now descend into a ridiculous discussion from which you will learn very little about photography and lots about Forum politics.

And it did Phil, because people who should be forum wise enough to know better, couldn't put it down, and kept 'taking the bait'. The ability to recognise when it is best to agree to disagree is conspicuous by its absence.

If some folk want to see EXIF data, whether or not it is of any real value, then that is their choice. As long as they are not asking to see the EXIF data of someone who chooses, for whatever reason, not to include it, then what's the harm.

Conversely, if some want to hide their EXIF data, then that is their choice, and they shouldn't need to justify why they do it.

Most all wars have been started by people who want to impose their way of thinking upon others.

Giving advice, where advice is asked for is helpful, and is what forums such as this should be about. If someone chooses to contest that advice, then a wise man should say "fair enough, take it or leave it", and walk away. Unfortunately, on forums, this rarely seems to happen.

Sometimes I get the impression that this forum is more of a debating society, than a "friendly" photography forum.

I am not at work either David, and haven't been for 12 years now, but I hope that I have managed to retain the essential skills that I needed at work, for dealing with people, both nice and contentious.

BTW, I used to teach mature students at evening classes, in Radio Communications Technology, which was outside of my 'day job', so I've done the teaching bit too.

I do not doubt the photographic expertise of either you or Phil, in fact the same goes for several others on this forum. I have asked questions, which have been effectively answered, and for which I have been grateful. Conversely, I have seen people ridiculed for simply putting their point of view, simply because the "experts" took delight in belittling that person.

BTW Phil, you are right, nobody actually answered Chris's question :).

Dave

BTW Phil, you are right, nobody actually answered Chris's question :).

Dave
Of course no-one answered it, because despite the OP's careful choice of language, the question is in itself accusatory, paraphrased it's 'Why do people spoil my fun by turning off the EXIF info - genuine question?'

No-one is going to say 'It's because I'm arrogant and don't want to share' or 'Why should I care that it spoils things for you - it's my picture'. There's no 'nice' answer.

We've had a couple of people swear they know why others do it, and one person who does it on a strange host to meet the file size with max quality, but no-one who's taken the bait offered.

And yes, I should walk away more often (but I'm a tenacious old fart). In real life it would end sooner, but with all the time in the world to try to 'help' people I sometimes miss the obvious option.

Giving advice, where advice is asked for is helpful, and is what forums such as this should be about. If someone chooses to contest that advice, then a wise man should say "fair enough, take it or leave it", and walk away. Unfortunately, on forums, this rarely seems to happen.

Of course it doesn't. ;)

A hybrid of both, I think, with a leavening of mud-slinging and dummy-chucking. At least it's informal, and that's cheerful.

Last edited:
The really was no accusatory intent in my original question Phil. I really was just wondering why people would disable exif as I honestly thought there may be some issue I could unwittingly be leaving myself open for by leaving mine in place!

I wouldn't normally post in a debate like this has evolved into as I would not consider myself technically knowledgeable enough and because I would rather wind down on here than wind myself up! However, as I started the thread I have a sense of culpability so here is my opinion on the whole "is exif useful" debate as a relative noob...

I totally agree that with photography, much like many subjects, there is a lot of learning to be gained from playing about and experimenting with how a shot is taken. Generally speaking I agree with Phil, Pookey et al in that EXIF has limited or no value with lots of shots unless being used in the post mortem of critique (as someone said earlier). I make a point of saying "generally" as personally have found that with some types of image the EXIF has been useful to me.
Specifically I am talking about meteor shower shots and to some extent star trails (which coincidentally someone mentioned earlier). establishing a starting point by looking at exif and talking about what "settings" people had employed on their cameras to pre-empt unpredictable meteors and maximise results does seem to assist many people as there is little opportunity to experiment.
Another example where I learned from exif- The first air show *groans!* I tried to get some images at were diabolically exposed. I looked at threads on here and flickr images of the same subjects from the same viewpoint and saw they were vastly superior to mine, I was too disheartened to post up my own to be honest. The main thing that massively improved my shots next time in very similar conditions was sussed from peoples exif- exposure compensation was being used. I know its basic but as a noob thats something I picked up from exif that nobody had mentioned when talking about their images.

Not trying to sit on the fence, just pointing out that while I fully appreciate what is being said by Phil/Pookey with regards to understanding light, learning from doing and all the other useful things they have mentioned, as a novice I have found exif useful in my progression on a few occasions.

As I stated before if one person finds Exif a useful tool on occasions (as I have along with other methods of learning) then is does have merit and cannot be written off.

As an Electrical Engineer, I have worked with a variety of tools over the years. The thing with tools is there is such a vast array you need to consider what tools are of use to you. There are old tools and not so old tools some are helpful in certain circumstances and others are useless tools. Useless tools, once it's established their purpose is not relevant can be disregarded or ignored but the choice is with the person wishing to benefit from what the tool has to offer (if anything) as to whether it's worth giving it any consideration in the prevailing circumstances. Personally I have no time for useless tools so I tend to stick them out of the way somewhere where they can't do no harm.

Last edited:
I want people to look at the photo, not EXIF camera marker. Not every photo can be taken with 1Dx or latest Hasselblad, particularly from 5-7 years ago, and it is probably best not to shout it out loud to over-expecting customers. 1DsII - that piece of crap from 2004; my Samsung phone has 2 more MP; 1DIII - only 10MP and cannot focus on anything - won't print above 6x4", 40D - what?! I have better than that! See you don't want to go there. Just give them a nice image to enjoy.

Back