Why in Hells name did I agree to ...

Name
Charles
Edit My Images
Yes
Attend a 50 YEAR reunion of school pupils?

I can't drink - I am driving and on meds
I can't eat - on a diet
I can't smoke - illegal

I can't remember 99% of the ex pupils names

I can't imagine why I agreed to turn up:(

Can't remember the last time I saw anyone I was at school with but if in a moment of madness I'd signed up to one of these I might just...

not bother going after all :D

Just in case you run into one of them at some point and they ask you why you didn't go have a really good excuse ready... like you couldn't be ar$ed :D

Best years of your life? Noooooo! :D

Were you the school bully and they have invited you to get revenge? ;)

I was bullied into it - "None attendance is not acceptable - a doctors note will be required" and I have to pay £6 towards the food as the organiser is a luddite

Were you the school bully and they have invited you to get revenge? ;)
Not at all

But my brother was. Do you think it will be any good if I take my mother?

I have to wonder if you or they didn't keep in touch with each other for 50 years why do it now? It's not if everyone cares. If I didn't keep in touch with any its cos they weren't worth remembering.

I got invited to one a couple of years back but I had sh***ed one of the women who was organising it so I declined the offer:)

Always good to go to these things so you can see how people you haven't spoken to for 50 years have thrown away their lives and to laugh at them. (The ability to lie outrageously about how well you're doing is a must, btw.) ;)

Reactions: BBR
I went to one and I had a good time nice to see people could you recognize them or them you.

Always good to go to these things so you can see how people you haven't spoken to for 50 years have thrown away their lives and to laugh at them. (The ability to lie outrageously about how well you're doing is a must, btw.) ;)

Is exactly why you shouldn't go. If you haven't kept in contact then they aren't important in your life. Amazing how many people b******t about their lives, or when you've done something interesting call b******t on you.

I was bullied into it - "None attendance is not acceptable - a doctors note will be required" and I have to pay £6 towards the food as the organiser is a luddite

Seriously? I would have told them to go forth and multiply.

I'm 48 now and apart from a close friend who I still keep in touch once in a while, I wouldn't bring myself to breathe the same air in the same room with most of the people I went to school with. I wasn't bullied but I did go to a boarding school, however the school itself - based at Brighton - closed its doors for good only a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
I haven't worked out how to use multiquote so:

I have no chance of recognising anyone although they may recognise me as I was, and still am, the school crip

Asked mum and she says no as she doesn't want to send the same note again

I am very able to BS but don't really need to as I have had such a wonderful life already (last part is an example)

I think is is the fourth get together so I am running out of excuses

I did meet an ex crush about 5 years ago for coffee and realised what s4it storm she had avoided - being charitable there

I do have teno sinovitis(sp) and am having a procedure on Friday may need to ramo it up some but any other suggestions are welcome

Send a 55 year old actor in your place. Get him to tell everyone that although you/he is a successful millionaire, an illness several years ago left you/him with no memories of schooldays. Pay him a little extra to eat as much as possible, shag the chairperson's other half and throw up in the punch. Chances are that you won't get invited to the next one! (Or just send a doctor's note!!!)

Do you know anyone else who is going? Wild horses wouldn't drag me to one of these, but a secondhand report back from someone who was there might be permitted! :rolleyes:

Send a 55 year old actor in your place. Get him to tell everyone that although you/he is a successful millionaire, an illness several years ago left you/him with no memories of schooldays. Pay him a little extra to eat as much as possible, shag the chairperson's other half and throw up in the punch. Chances are that you won't get invited to the next one! (Or just send a doctor's note!!!)

Now we are making progress - sensible suggestions

I genuinely have no recollections of school days whether this is caused by anaethesia, alcohol, dementia or drugs I know not

Do you know anyone else who is going? Wild horses wouldn't drag me to one of these, but a secondhand report back from someone who was there might be permitted! :rolleyes:

That is the problem - I cannot recall any of them and certainly won't recognise any one

Perhaps I should send my brother - but he will probably tell me that everyone loved me, bought me drinks all night and forgave me for shagging the chairman's wife and throwing up into the punch

If I do make the effort I am considering hiding the car round the corner and dressing as an eccentric millionaire, t shirt, board shorts and flip flops with socks. I already have the unruly hair (what little of it there is) and long beard

" dear [organising person] , since the record deal I'm afraid i have very little time for attending these social occasions, but rest assured i'll be thinking of you as me and the boys are opening 'gods of rock' in helsinki on [date] "

It's funny you look at them and think, don't they all look so old. But remember, they are thinking the the same about you :)

Red silk smoking jacket, white fedora, aviator sunglasses and a cigarette holder.

Bonus points if you hire an old British sports car and persuade (at least) two blonde, female twenty-something relatives to pose as your "company" for the evening. :D

Last edited:
Pretend to be a deaf-mute to avoid talking to anyone.

Just carry a small piece of card, on which you've written "beer" on one side and "f*** off, I never liked you" on the other.

Then, at the end of the evening. call out "bye everyone" and disappear into the night.

You'll be a Man of Mystery. The stuff of legends.

We organised a 40th reunion 3 years ago. We are still meeting every year on the first Saturday in September. This year approximately 10 of us had lunch, went to watch Coventry play rugby, had dinner then met up with a load more down the pub.

I wasn't looking forward to the first one but we had a blast- go & do it!

John

Pretend to be a deaf-mute to avoid talking to anyone.

Just carry a small piece of card, on which you've written "beer" on one side and "f*** off, I never liked you" on the other.

Then, at the end of the evening. call out "bye everyone" and disappear into the night.

You'll be a Man of Mystery. The stuff of legends.

Either that or they'll just say "Oh yeah....NOW we remember!" :LOL:

I went to a reunion around 8yrs after I left school. An odd anniversary I know but even after that short amount of time it, was amazing how many had already turned into old farts at the age of 24. Would be funny to see what they were like now in their 50's. Last person I saw from my school was several years ago, she is a teaching assistant at my son's old school. I recognised her, but she never recognised me.

As I don't think I can get away with not attending I am thinking of wearing a plaid shirt, casual trousers, Bush hat and dark glasses so I can remain incognito.
Big problem was that I walk with a stick but then thought at 65 probably half the others will be on zimmers etc

Big problem was that I walk with a stick
Not to make light of that, but my dad always used to say, speak softly but carry a big stick :D

:eek:

I have had such a sheltered life............

Yeh, I've had to keep me head down on more than one occasion too. All part of growing up tho:)

I had a realisation a while back that IF any of my past ... indiscretions had had the potential result, any results would be pushing 30 by now! Actually, they would be over 30 - still friends with the ex from then and she's definitely not produced.

I went to one organised when our year had all turned 40 a while back, no food just a pub function room and plenty of beer. Really wasn't up for it but glad i did even though i generally speaking hate social engagements of any sort with a passion. Was a good laugh, nice to see some old faces and lots of people i didn't recognise. Was interesting to see how peoples lives panned out as well, some good some not so good. Surprised how many people remembered me as i was a social leper where school was concerned. Had a small click of lads who played footy each break time and that's it. Do it and you'll never look back and think 'i should of gone' rather than go and think 'never again...".

I had a realisation a while back that IF any of my past ... indiscretions had had the potential result, any results would be pushing 30 by now! Actually, they would be over 30 - still friends with the ex from then and she's definitely not produced.

I never classed getting my leg over as an indiscretion (tho some of the married women may have:)), it was just something that happened. I didn't care back then, took some risks but thankfully never got an STD and I ain't had that knock on the door yer neither, tho it has been hinted at:D:D

Back