why is every photo I post blurry??

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
I've had this on my mind for some time now and really need help with it.

I mostly shoot my photos in Raw, do some editing in PSE and some other stuff in CS3, even when in 8bit mode to save as jpeg (always max size ie=12) for posting, the 8bit saved jpeg file (say a megabtye large) is so sharp and clear on my computer even then just viewing it with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer..

BUT...

As soon as I upload it to photobucket and link the image to TP it just looks awful every time, i.e blurry, unclear and just nasty.

Why is this and how can I stop it happening?????

I've seen some fantasticly sharp images that are jpegs of the same size as my images in here just recently.

Please please please help.

Last edited:
Photobucket uses naff algorithms for reducing file size, re-size them smaller yourself and it should be ok.

That said, I've never had a problem although it's been a while since I've used photobucket (use flickr and picasa nowadays).

It is not the first time people have said this about photobucket. Would definitely repeat what Nawty said and make sure you resize to required posting dimensions and apply any required sharpening before uploading to photobucket.

Also, try getting yourself a flickr account, a basic one is free and even unlimited one is only a few pounds if you like it, see if that makes a difference.

I too have noticed the quality difference between Photobucket and Flickr, I soon switched to Flickr.

I moved from photobucket to Flickr for this very reason!

I suggest you do the same!

If you have a BT Internet email address, the Flickr pro account is free

Jason

Same shot, one Flickr,t`other photobucket.

IFFUAE074.jpg

6633489709_e9ee77886c_o.jpg

As mentioned Neil this topic has been raised many a time. Here is a recent one hosted on both sites. A slightly lighter background to the one on the right to my eye but overall only a very subtle difference between them. As for the sharpness, are you applying a final sharpen to your image before uploading? It should be the last thing to do after resizing, failing that in the save option dropdown list save the picture for web. At the end of the day it is what works best for us as an individual (y)

IMG_4791.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, you can really see the difference, well you can on my crap work laptop!! The second one looks very soft!

Very nice photo by the way fracster (y)

Last edited:
Wow, you can really see the difference, well you can on my crap work laptop!! The second one looks very soft!

Very nice photo by the way fracster (y)

I aint on a crap laptop:D Although this is a good point raised as so many people have different screens which may or may not be calibrated etc. So we will all see something different in each others images. Some more views here if you are interested. http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=296414

On mine and Richards, the only difference I can see is that one is slightly lighter than the other. Sharpness looks the same on both robins.

But I think sharpness has way to high a value placed on it anyway................:D

Edit to add.......thanks for the comments on my piccie.

Last edited:
On mine and Richards, the only difference I can see is that one is slightly lighter than the other. Sharpness looks the same on both robins.

But I think sharpness has way to high a value placed on it anyway................:D

Edit to add.......thanks for the comments on my piccie.

Sorry Ade forgot to say that the lightness issue is the only real difference I can see on your example. Agree totaly about the sharpness thing as well. I was guilty of oversharpening when I first started, I still do now and again but that is just the night after the night before syndrome :D I try not to end up with something that looks like you are viewing it through a microscope if I can help it.

u8myufo said:
I aint on a crap laptop:D Although this is a good point raised as so many people have different screens which may or may not be calibrated etc. So we will all see something different in each others images. Some more views here if you are interested. http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=296414

It's also worth remembering that whichever browser you use can make a considerable difference as well!

I switched from photobucket to flickr too, I found it very inconsistant. The comment above about the browser is very true, I was viewing tp in opera and had opera turbo enabled, this destroyed the pic quality, very much as the op describes, once that was disabled the pics were shown as they should be

It's also worth remembering that whichever browser you use can make a considerable difference as well!

Didn`t know that, will check up on it, thanks..........(y)

I would say the big problem with both those comparisons posted is not sharpness, its loss of contrast on the pb version, hence the 'pale look'

Browsers do make a huge difference as can ensuring all your editing programs/viewers are running the same colour profile. However that of course doesn't affect sharpness, only colour rendition ;)

I would say the big problem with both those comparisons posted is not sharpness, its loss of contrast on the pb version, hence the 'pale look'

Browsers do make a huge difference as can ensuring all your editing programs/viewers are running the same colour profile. However that of course doesn't affect sharpness, only colour rendition ;)

Jesus Yvonne, I struggle enough with one, how on Gods earth could I possibly use two.................:D

fracster said:
Didn`t know that, will check up on it, thanks..........(y)

IIRC there are multiple versions of IE that don't support Colour profiling, and hence can't recognise the difference between aRGB & sRGB for a start. Firefox does, and I think Chrome as well, but I'm not sure about the others.

One of the easiest ways to prevent errors (ie wrong colour space et al) is to drag the photo into your browser before uploading it/them - one per batch will usually do. It's also one of the easiest ways to triple check your Exif & IPTC details, with a final read through and check for spelling, grammar etc.

'Fraid the btinternet email address doesn't work for me......

Think you need to have your broadband from BT to qualify for the Flickr Pro account. As I changed to TalkTalk (don't ask why) as my broadband supplier I can't get Flickr Pro free, even though I've kept a btinternet.com email address.

:(

Mad Badger said:
'Fraid the btinternet email address doesn't work for me......

Think you need to have your broadband from BT to qualify for the Flickr Pro account. As I changed to TalkTalk (don't ask why) as my broadband supplier I can't get Flickr Pro free, even though I've kept a btinternet.com email address.

:(

I've just done this and it works great. It only works if you get adsl through bt, not talk talk,sky or anyone else.

I tried several and ended up going with smugmug, been with them a few years and can't rate them high enough.

.DAVID.

Ok, manage to finally get around to creating a Flickr Account.

The one photo that really got me thinking about this was the first Night Architecture Shot I made of a Coloured Glass Building off Holloway Road, it really pee'vd me off as I was so pleased with it orginally and so dissapointed after posting.

I have made some changes as you can see to the perspective, I cropped the image some more and added a lighten vingeratte, HOWEVER no other sharpings been made since the upload of the photobucket image (Top) (Flickr image Below) I think the difference is crazy...

Coloured_Glass_Arch.jpg

6646202583_cd8bf50117_b.jpg

Ok, manage to finally get around to creating a Flickr Account.

The one photo that really got me thinking about this was the first Night Architecture Shot I made of a Coloured Glass Building off Holloway Road, it really pee'vd me off as I was so pleased with it orginally and so dissapointed after posting.

I have made some changes as you can see to the perspective, I cropped the image some more and added a lighten vingeratte, HOWEVER no other sharpings been made since the upload of the photobucket image (Top) (Flickr image Below) I think the difference is crazy...

Now without checking the URL Neil tell me which one I have downloaded and hosted on Photobucket :shrug: Yes you might see a small difference and guess right but to me there just seems a lot more to this image losing quality thing than just Photobucket and Flickr :thinking: What though is anybodys guess.

Last edited:
Alright, no need to go all bold text on me, I am a beginner and learning the ropes still of course. However, from the two images you've posted I'd say the bottom one's flickr and the tops photobucket, I not trying to be a smart arse or anything but if you look at any of the coloured panels of glass (I've highlighten one in the below pic) you can tell its (well I don't know any technical terms) but spread out cleaner, brighter and more evenly than the first image you posted.

6648017415_17cf518a9a_b.jpg

Wow, huge difference, but it's obviously not the same for everyone/every photo, as I can't see any sharpness difference between the two examples others have posted.

BTW, technically when you post an image from Flickr you're meant to use thier full code so that you retain all the links etc. I've no idea if they police it, but it is one of thier requirements. :rules:

Mark

Lynne, take a look at the person visible through the leftmost ground floor window. The difference is huge, and does show up as a general softening of the image; enough to change how the result is perceived.

In this test, surely the ONLY difference is Photobucket vs Flickr? I may be using a different browser to you, but I'm not looking at the two images in different browsers.

Alright, no need to go all bold text on me, I am a beginner and learning the ropes still of course. However, from the two images you've posted I'd say the bottom one's flickr and the tops photobucket, I not trying to be a smart arse or anything but if you look at any of the coloured panels of glass (I've highlighten one in the below pic) you can tell its (well I don't know any technical terms) but spread out cleaner, brighter and more evenly than the first image you posted.

6648017415_17cf518a9a_b.jpg

First of all Neil why you getting wound up :shrug: I highlighted the text in bold to seperate it from your quote which makes it easier for you to see what I had typed. I am also not calling anybody a smart arse but pointing out that with your comparison it is easy to see that Photobucket is showing a completely different image big time. Whereas I have posted the same image on Photobucket and it does not look a million miles away from the one you hosted on Flickr. I will say again there has been so many threads on this subject and I think there is more to it than just people saying I am losing so much quality because of using either Photobucket or Flickr.

First of all Neil why you getting wound up :shrug: I highlighted the text in bold to seperate it from your quote which makes it easier for you to see what I had typed. I am also not calling anybody a smart arse but pointing out that with your comparison it is easy to see that Photobucket is showing a completely different image big time. Whereas I have posted the same image on Photobucket and it does not look a million miles away from the one you hosted on Flickr. I will say again there has been so many threads on this subject and I think there is more to it than just people saying I am losing so much quality because of using either Photobucket or Flickr.

Fair play pal.

From all my years of experience (and it may be my own fault) with online forums I associate bold text with the verbal connotation of shouting/aggression. Your right that the two images I posted were very different the point I was simply trying to make was that no other actual sharping had been made, but I guess bias as the two you posted were a lot more similar.

I find flickr far better and find flickr applies some sort of sharpening itself as my images always seem to look sharper on flickr than they do on my laptop screen, as said that might just be the browser (safari).

Recently seeing some of my images on someone else's dell windows laptop i thought i was looking at completely different images compared to how they look on my MBP.

Switch to Flickr definitely, Photobucket is lacking to say the least.

Back