Why is my video rubbish?

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
This is the first video that I have shot using my 5d and I am quite disappointed with the outcome.
I would really appreciate anyone that could take some time to have a look and suggest how I can improve it.

The video is of a test rig that I have built for my Uni dissertation project, and I intend the video to be used in my presentation, so will be displayed large via a projector.

I'm not sure how to embed a video from zenfolio, so here is the link.

http://davidwalker.zenfolio.com/p868849227/e1305fdd1#h1305fdd1

My work flow was as follows.

Video shot in Raw, custom wb, tripod mounted and live view focus. Everything looks great, sharp and correctly colored on the back of the camera.

The clips were converted to MPEG-II format using 'Any Video Converter'.

The video was then created using Pinnacle Videospin

The output settings used were.
File type - AVI
Preset - Full Screen (DV) 720x480

There doesn't seem to be an option to output the video in 1080.

Does anything in that stick out as being a problem? My main concern ist there seems to be a general lack of quality, clarity, whatever you want to call it. Areas I know that were accurately focused upon, Ie the front screw being tightened in the close up, are not appearing to be in focus.

Also, I would really like to be able to show the ball drops at the end in slow motion, but videospin doesn't support that. Is there an alternative free editing software that would do a better job? I would be looking to invest in some software at a later date, but currently I am penniless.

Thanks.

Very shallow depth of field, and when you're tightening the bolts you obscure the only part of the shot that's in focus with an out-of-focus arm. It's not clear to me where I should be looking, the centre of focus doesn't have a centre of attention - if that makes sense?

Guessing that this is a workshop with basic facilities, I wonder if using a greater depth of field to have most of the rig in focus all the time and using welding screens (for example) to create an unassuming background.

What's the purpose of the film? As a test reel of video technique or as an illustration of how the impact rig works? If it's the latter, I'd go more Open University and less shallow DOF.

I can see a certain amount of fuzziness, it just looks a little soft and needing sharpening - but I'm only slowly learning video myself.

Slow-mo I've been doing using Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11, not free but at under-£30 it does the job.

Quality doesn't look too bad on my iPhone. The important bits look in focus. One thing I did notice is that you have used quite a wide aperture therefore there are quite a lot of soft/blurred areas, could this be why you are thinking it looks bad quality?

Thanks guys.

The purpose of the film is to use as a demonstration of how the rig is operated and how it works, so I plan to talk over the video myself.

I was using a shallow depth of field, mainly because there isn't much light about, but also to focus attention on the parts I was trying to highlight.

I may pull the rig outside in that case and re-shoot it in daylight. Also I didn't realise that Sony Vegas was that cheap. Hopefully it can be purchased and downloaded online, would mean I can crack on rather than be waiting for it to arrive.

He we are with attempt two.

I have re-shot all the clips outside to allow be to use a greater DOF. I have also now got Sony Vegas to do the editing, which is so much better.

A big thank you to everyone that has given me some advice, particularly Pete helped me over the phone with my settings within Vegas.

I am a lot happier with this one. I know it's not perfect, but any problems I can see I am confident are down to my own technique which I can work on, and not buggering around with poor software.

http://davidwalker.zenfolio.com/p868849227/e57943f0

I could really do with getting an external mic, but I am torn between something like the Rhode shotgun mic, or whether it's best to go for external recording. I'll have to look a bit further into that before I make a decision. I guess both have their uses and will end up with both eventually, it's just which is the most useful first off.

That's much better!

Thanks guys.

The next big hurdle, finding a way to dispose of quarter of a tonne of broken glass. :thinking:

Back