Why is the Sigma SD-1/SD1 such an expensive body?

Name
Byron
Edit My Images
Yes
I was doing a bit of browsing on hdewcameras.co.uk and was surprised to see that Sigma sell a camera body, the SD-1, which was released in 2012.

What surprised me even more was what I believe to be the massive mismatch between price and specification.

Priced at £1,689, this is by far the most expensive crop-sensor body out there. It's more than double what the Canon 7D retails for online (~£700) and Sony's A77 too.

Having looked at various reviews, the only thing that it seems to shine at is low-ISO RAW image quality (anything above ISO 1600 starts to suffer, as with most bodies in its class). The Foveon sensor technology sounds impressive in theory, and appears to deliver in real life, but does it justify the price-tag? The write speeds are terrible and there is no live-view support.

For the same amount of money, you could easily get a Canon 6D with 24-105mm kit.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Last edited:
The pricing started on par with 1DX. Then they reduced after selling next to none. They only sell and make fairly little, so prices are higher. The only real difference is a three layer sensor technology.

low volume sales - so the price has to be higher

Back