Why mirrorless sales are disapointing

Amateur Photographer was looking at the mirrorless cameras sales performance recently http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...-camera-sales-crash-special-report-with-video and raised some valid points, including Canon/Nikon brand loyalty and confusing nomenclature.

They did however miss one key technical aspect - the viewfinder. The reality is that the current models are still pretty much inadequate compared with most full frames (I don't have an APS-C). I looked at Fuji X-T1 and Samsung NX30 at the show. I was really disappointed with the size of EVF. They are so tiny it is not really possible to tell much about the scene at all. The dSLR full frames have a bright and large field of view that allows working with comfort. While pixelation of the EVFs has been decreased, it was still visible, and even worse the low refresh rates caused a lot of flickering under artificial fluorescent light. I haven't had a chance to play with A7, but I don't expect miracles after watching the latest DigitalRev 5DIII/A7 comparison. To be blatantly honest the CSCs are best on tripod with the LCD screen for landscape work and perhaps for video recording.

According to article, the main selling propositions is to the pros and advanced amateurs looking for a secondary just-in-case go to camera. That makes a lot of sense.

So, as a cheap compact CSCs are too expensive and perhaps too complex, particularly when it comes to instant instagramming of pics. Hail the iPhone!
I've not gone through all the other posts so I assume this has been addressed but if not, are you sure you tried the XT1? The reason I ask is that the viewfinder has a 0.77x magnification (35mm eq) which is bigger than most DSLR's. The D5 is 'only' 0.72 and the 1DX is 0.76, both smaller than the XT1. I had the XT1 and the viewfinder was bigger than my D750's, and I couldn't decide which I preferred. Purely looking at the 'image' I prefer looking through optics rather than at a screen, but there's no denying the benefits of EVF. Those come down to preference, but size is a matter of fact, and the Fuji XT1's viewfinder is larger than every FF DLSR I've looked at, including those already mentioned.

@snerkler.
Think you've been sucked in here. The girl who resurrected the thread has been more or less dormant for a while but today has started bombing the site with one liners.
No idea what her game is!

I've not gone through all the other posts so I assume this has been addressed but if not, are you sure you tried the XT1? The reason I ask is that the viewfinder has a 0.77x magnification (35mm eq) which is bigger than most DSLR's. The D5 is 'only' 0.72 and the 1DX is 0.76, both smaller than the XT1. I had the XT1 and the viewfinder was bigger than my D750's, and I couldn't decide which I preferred. Purely looking at the 'image' I prefer looking through optics rather than at a screen, but there's no denying the benefits of EVF. Those come down to preference, but size is a matter of fact, and the Fuji XT1's viewfinder is larger than every FF DLSR I've looked at, including those already mentioned.
and thats without the Lab coat on ;)

@snerkler.
Think you've been sucked in here. The girl who resurrected the thread has been more or less dormant for a while but today has started bombing the site with one liners.
Don't you just love trolls :rolleyes:

@snerkler.
i see i am not the only one to spot this,
something to sell was my first thought

Thread from the dead!

Seriously though, my comment on this thread (3 years ago) was that i still hadn't found a mirrorless camera without compromises, albeit I had an a7 on test.

Well, since then i discovered Fuji and have now sold my DSLR and Canon lenses! I'm very happy with the Fuji X range now :)

Last figures I saw showed they are selling the same 3- 3.5 million units a year and it's been that for over 3 years now. So whilst it's nor gone up it's market share is larger as DSLR sales have dropped to a quarter of the peak volume back in 2012

Looks like the rule doesn't exist anymore. Spamalot.
The rules do still exist, but the mods aren't omnipotent, if you think someone's abusing the system, you have to report them.

It does seem though that she put a bit of effort in, creating an account, then waiting the required time before moving into action.

on a quick note myself im looking at getting the mrs mirrorless to get the weight down she has a d7000 and nikon 70-300 at the moment
she is wanting less weight and a little more reach (she has MS)
i am thinking maybe a olympus em-10 and 70-300 my budget will only be about £450 and the aforementioned fits in that price bracket
it was suggested to me elsewhere on here and seems this is a good thread to query it in
any thoughts on it or will something else fit my bill better for similar budget mainly bird pics etc. not BIF normally perching etc.

on a quick note myself im looking at getting the mrs mirrorless to get the weight down she has a d7000 and nikon 70-300 at the moment
she is wanting less weight and a little more reach (she has MS)
i am thinking maybe a olympus em-10 and 70-300 my budget will only be about £450 and the aforementioned fits in that price bracket
it was suggested to me elsewhere on here and seems this is a good thread to query it in
any thoughts on it or will something else fit my bill better for similar budget mainly bird pics etc. not BIF normally perching etc.
I'm a big Olympus fan and the EM10 is great, but if you can afford to go for the mark II it's a very worthwhile upgrade imo. The 75-300mm on Olympus will give much longer reach than the 70-300 on the D7000 (150-600mm vs 105-450mm). If you can cope with an effective FL of 80-300mm the Olympus 40-150mm R is a great cheap lens. Can be picked up for under £100 used and is very very light. It feels a bit cheap and like a toy tbh, but the optical performance is very good.

I'm a big Olympus fan and the EM10 is great, but if you can afford to go for the mark II it's a very worthwhile upgrade imo. The 75-300mm on Olympus will give much longer reach than the 70-300 on the D7000 (150-600mm vs 105-450mm). If you can cope with an effective FL of 80-300mm the Olympus 40-150mm R is a great cheap lens. Can be picked up for under £100 used and is very very light. It feels a bit cheap and like a toy tbh, but the optical performance is very good.

I've got several m4/3 bodies but the E-M10II is probably my favourite: small but not too small, light and IQ as good or better than the E-M1 MarkI. Another cheap and good tele suggestion is the Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm f/4-5.6 ASPH. MEGA O.I.S. Lens. You can get more reach with the Panasonic 45-200 or the Panasonic 100-300 but they are not as good optically in my experience as the Panasonic 45-150.

I've got several m4/3 bodies but the E-M10II is probably my favourite: small but not too small, light and IQ as good or better than the E-M1 MarkI. Another cheap and good tele suggestion is the Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm f/4-5.6 ASPH. MEGA O.I.S. Lens. You can get more reach with the Panasonic 45-200 or the Panasonic 100-300 but they are not as good optically in my experience as the Panasonic 45-150.

ok what are your thoughts on the mk2 in sales and the panasonic 45-200 in sales (i think its compatible ? ) would that be a ok combo

grrr missed it it sold and would have been in budget :(

Last edited:
ok what are your thoughts on the mk2 in sales and the panasonic 45-200 in sales (i think its compatible ? ) would that be a ok combo

grrr missed it it sold and would have been in budget :(

E-M10II + Panasonic 45-200 would be compatible but I would turn off either the stabilisation in the body or the stabilisation in the lens. The 45-200 is a certainly a good lens for the money. There are better options in m4/3 but they will be more expensive as well.

E-M10II + Panasonic 45-200 would be compatible but I would turn off either the stabilisation in the body or the stabilisation in the lens. The 45-200 is a certainly a good lens for the money. There are better options in m4/3 but they will be more expensive as well.
I'm not sure... but reading suggests there is a menu option for IS type priority (IBS vs OIS) for unswitched lenses. For switched lenses the on lens switch toggles between OIS on (with IBS off) and OIS off (with IBS on).

Back