Why need more than 1 lens cap?

Edit My Images
No
A few friends told me they bought some lens caps - but what is it for? Isn't one enough? :):nuts:

Maybe they have a fetish - some people just love shoes!:shrug::LOL:

I've lost a few in the past I must admit.

:agree:
Easy to lose when you're out and about, especially at night. I'd rather have too many than not enough :D

I just lost one this morning, grrr. Will have to buy first ever replacement cap if I don't find it.

You've all got a fetish:LOL:

Me too. I have heard of Canon owners buying Nikon lens caps as they're apparently easier to undo if you're wearing gloves.

I think it's got more to do with the fact that they can be removed without having to remove the lens hood.

I've lost two so far. The Sigma one I couldn't care less about, it was absolute rubbish.

I buy these...............I wouldnt have a Nikon cap on my lovely Canon camera!! ;) :D

Lost a few, I've found I loose less of the newer "pinch type" nikon caps than the older style.

What about the ones that are on a short black elastic, i have never seen them in the shops but have seen a couple of togs using them when out and about?

When you take the cap off, it simply hangs down from the lens, anyone else seen them?

JB

Ive hardly got any lens caps left as ive lost them all. Now I just don't bother with them and rely on the lens hood and UV filter to protect them.

What about the ones that are on a short black elastic, i have never seen them in the shops but have seen a couple of togs using them when out and about?

When you take the cap off, it simply hangs down from the lens, anyone else seen them?

JB

I got one once but they seem a bit ..... silly... to me! I felt embarrassed with it blowing about in the wind.. and i couldnt be bothered to clip it anywhere. Was a pain in the a**e!

JB

I had that type for my point and shoot. Now I have the 400D I have drilled a small hole in a lens cap and threaded some fishing braid through. That is attached to the clip on the camera for the neckstrap. When it is removed from the lens it just dangles. Works fine :)

some people just love shoes!:shrug::LOL:
My wife says a girl can never have too many shoes. She also says a girl can never have too many ear-rings. But somehow the logic doesn't seem to work when I claim than a man can never have too many CDs, or too many lenses, or too many beers...

Maybe people are buying "Ultrasonic" ones to put on their non-USM lenses to look "cooler"? :)

I'm on my 3rd lens cap and had my camera less than a yr!
Going to pick up another spare from Jessops tomorrow when I get my flash diffuser, the Jessops ones look more solid than the Tamron one I have on now.

There must be a load of "previously become disassociated from my owner" lens caps somewhere....

;)

Where can I read more about filters? Some UV filters don't change anything, and are just for protecting the lens? I want to know how different filters can be used :) Thanks

Gloves with the ends of the fingers cut off (or bought that way) are ideal.

Or even better, I bought myself a pair of these just before xmas. £20 from Cotswold Outdoors (although I think I may have got them cheaper as they had an offer on at the time)

Or even better, I bought myself a pair of these just before xmas. £20 from Cotswold Outdoors (although I think I may have got them cheaper as they had an offer on at the time)

Aha! - I saw some of those on Melton Mowbray market for 15 quid - I couldnt work out what the pouch bit was for though! Now I know .... must get some next market day :)

Must admit I've been tempted to get nice Nikon pinchy ones to replace the horrible tat that Sigma provides with their otherwise wonderful lenses.

I have real problems fitting the rear lens cap on my Sigma (or any of my Nikkors) The Nikon rear caps slip on nicely and a quick twist and they're on but the Sigma one has to be aligned just right. Often I'm changing lenses in a hurry so it can be infuriating at times.

But I can't see how lens caps are so easily lost? When I take one off it either goes in my pocket or in the bag.

The lens cap on my Sigma is difficult to put on without the lens hood, with it it's a nightmare and with a pair of gloves as well it's impossible. Blooming annoying when it's below zero and you really don't want to take your gloves off. :(

They go the same place as odd socks and tea spoons.

:agree: You'll also find that every time you lose a lens cap you gain a coat hanger:shrug:

Shooting Nikon I wouldn't know about inferior products ;)However, apart from loosing the caps and needing to replace I can think of atleast one other reason why someone without a fetish for them might buy lens caps.

Some people standardise on a filter thread size (usually 77mm) to either carry fewer filters with them on a shoot and/or to reduce the investment required for good quality filters. To do this they put step up rings on the lens if it isn't their standard and therefore unless they want to keep remove the step up ring after every shoot they would need a whole bunch of 77mm lens caps.

Back