Why Where You Are?

Name
Hannah
Edit My Images
Yes
This is quite random, but I was just wondering how all of you guys made the decision to live where you do? As in the town/city/country/whatever...
I'm graduating this year and will be going back to live with the parents for a bit but am then faced with making a decision about where in the UK I want to move to to live! I know its a lot to do with career choice. It sounds stupid but I feel like there are so many places I havnt seen that I might want to live in and so many places I have been to that I could see myself living in so I was just interested really in what made you choose where you are!
Cheers :D

The British Isles aren't that big, you can drive anywhere here in under a day.
I live on the south coast because of my affinity with the sea, the moderate weather and the nice people.

born in the area. wife from the area. work in the area.half mile down the road from my inlaws, and first house we wanted to buy when we decided/could afford to stop renting.
that , and the fact that people are freindly here.
cant imagine living anywhere else realy.
mansfield is ok by me.(y)
in your position , i suppose jobs will decide where ya live.
nowt wrong with spong...sorry, living with parents for a while.:D

I ended up here due to a job. We ('er indoors and me) arrived here two years before the end of a 22 yr contract. We didn't want to be house hunting and job hunting at the same time (at the end of the 22 yrs) so bought a house here well in advance of that time. It's sufficiently distant from her relatives ;) so it suits us. Not moving until we can afford our dream home and number one goal.

My wife has always lived in Notts, I work in Notts, wife works at the QMC, looks like I'll never get to live anywhere else now :shake:

Darren

The parents moved outta north London, to here when I was small ( yes really I was small once :D) to a small town on the edge of the designated area of MK.
I have seen Milton keynes develope over the years around me.
I have driven in and around most areas over my working years and decieded that there are a lot worse places to live and so never bothered to move away

I moved here with parents, like you I left uni and moved back with parents. They moved up here a year or so ago from Derby, so I went with them as I couldnt afford to go my own way. Still can't afford my own place and doesnt look like I will be able to anytime soon :(

I am self employed so could in theory move anywhere, if I wanted too. I have a list of places I would love to live; so I think my grand plan is to move around the country as an when I can afford to :D

I've lived all over the USA and parts of Japan (Okinawa).

Illinois, Wisconsin, Colorado, New Mexico, North Carolina, California, Nebraska, and now Michigan.

All job-related. I go where the work is.

But I've learned to find something to enjoy about every place I've ever lived, and I always find something photographically interesting as well.

Currently, my house, my wife, and my family are in North Carolina, whilst I am in Detroit, earning a living. We hope to be reunited soon - it has been over a year.

Was born here, my mothers family go back to before the 1920s within 1/2 a mile radius of the house I live in now.

Always lived in or around west London.. parents (& me) moved into the current house back in '85. Contemplating moving out of London.. depending on a new business venture I have in the pipeline. But if I do move.. it will be just outside London. I still love this city (when the traffic is less).

Birmingham, or more accurately Longbridge provided a once guaranteed livelihood for 30,000 workers. Seeing that meant work for my dad (Scouser) myself and seven other brothers & sisters we grew up on the very doorstep of this once thriving community. Apart from the old man nobody lasted more than 4years there.

I live here because it's where i was born, still live with my parents (i'm 19) work close by.....saving for a house though....keep putting the pennies in the pot, maybe one day i can afford one.

Moved here as now wife lived here.

One of my smarter moves I have to say - although I miss the seaside and my home county of Pembrokeshire - but Bristol will do fine! :)

Met a man who lived down south, he didn't want to move up north, so I ended up moving to be with him. I couldn't afford house prices in Farnham (where we wanted to live and where he is from) despite having a good (£40K) deposit to put down! Aldershot was cheaper and I got alot of house for my money (considering it's the south). It's ok here, but not somewhere I would have freely chosen to live. Hopefully won't be for much longer though as Canada is getting closer by the day :D

brought up on a holiday park in south devon, moved to yeovil in 75 to start an apprenticeship at a certain helicopter company and been here ever since.

Work originally but married a girl from here and love living by the Sea in sunny St Annes. Beats my home town of Preston though there is a lot less to do here.

Born in the Midlands, worked in the Midlands, so I'm a townie through and through. Too long in the sticks and I'd go stir crazy. :wacky:

I live right in the heart of the New Forest and only about a mile from the coast.........why would I want to live anywhere else?(y)

Lived in Lancs all my life, in the same town. I don't mind it, but I suppose thats because it's comfortable to me.

If i was self employed or could work from home, i'd move up to Kippford in Scotland where my folks live. It's gorgeous and a togs dream!!!

Born and bred in Blackpool, after the parents moved here in the 60's. I finally had enough of Blackpool and the way it is geared to tourists and not the locals, and moved to Preston in the mid 90's.

stuck near blackpool with no job offers except toilet cleaner lmao so im stuck

theres enough people from blackpool on here!

im from chester area (helsby to be precise- beautiful scenic views of a fertiliser factory and stanlow!) but i moved to preston in 2001 to go to uni, i liked the place alot while i was there but there seems to be alot more violence etc there now which isnt good) in '05 i moved up to cumbria for work and if i manage to find a job ill probably end up somewhere like motorsport valley etc

Moved to Leeds due getting paid to do a college course, ended up marring a lass (she is from Gateshead) down here and moved to where we are now, near town but just a short walk and I leave all that behind.
I do still miss the north east though! but if I went back up that way I would be very piccy on where I lived.

Born in Somerset, moved to Northants with family when I was small.
Lived in digs etc in a lot of places with work etc, ended up back under parents wings after a while, bought a house local to them and that's where I stayed. Got married so thats where I am!(y)

Given the choice and if I had the money I would probably head back south! :LOL:

Went to University in Guildford (as did my wife) - then lived in Surbiton for a good few years. We bought our first house in Aylesbury, and then moved to Woking when the opportunity presented itself 6 years ago. Have worked in Middlesex since the Surbiton days (glad I don't have the Aylesbury => Teddington commute any more!)

What are you studying, and what career direction are you interested in? I'd echo Diego's words about Bristol being a great place - spent a lot of time with friends and family there. And Brighton's not half bad, either!

Born and grew up in London, but when it came to time to get on the property ladder we couldn;t even get close to affording to buy in London without lreaving ourselves effectively bankrupt for the following 25 years, so Essex it was!

Wow what i wicked response, thanks!! I live in Twickenham with my rents and obviously Brighton when im at uni. I love both areas and could well imagine living in either. Have been to Bristol and really liked it! am also a fan of areas like Somerset and Devon...i think im probably a proper Southern lass...in terms of career options im not too sure yet.....

Born and bred here, family goes back to the beginnings of this cluster of 5 old villages that now make up the town that is Scunthorpe, the steelmaking town.

well.....i would need a flow chart ....but..basically born in uk, grew up in australia, and have been back and forth between the two a fair bit. kind of like tennis. with countries. now i live in nottingham and work in kent - go figure?!

Well, I'm from "up thur" and the missus was from "dewn thar" so summat rural in't middle seemed to work....for now, at least.

Bob

Back