Why would you reverse a camera lens ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello All,

Just looking through the manual for my newly acquired Praktica PL Nova L and in the accessories section it displays a lens reversal ring so that you can attach the lens to the camera using it's filter threads ,why would you wish to do this ?

Cheers

Macro/Micro(y)

I have a reversing ring for my Nikkor lenses.

Increased magnification. A cheap way into macro.
You can also reverse a lens onto the front of a lens already attached. That gives some intense magnification, but non existent DOF.

Yep. A 50mm reversed gives you around 1:1 and a 24mm gives IIRC 2,8:1

Hello All,

Just looking through the manual for my newly acquired Praktica PL Nova L and in the accessories section it displays a lens reversal ring so that you can attach the lens to the camera using it's filter threads ,why would you wish to do this ?

Cheers

Macro

Edit: There appear to be two threads for this question.

Last edited:
Lenses are normally corrected to give best performance at infinity which means the lens/subject distance is greater than the lens/film plane distance. In close up work, this relationship tends to alter and even reverse (subject closer to lens than film is) so turning the lens round improves the performance.

This thread's like watching The Prestige. I expect Bowie will post a comment shortly.

Thanks all, again proof you learn something new each day !

I did dat once
A 70-200 zoom with a reversed 50 on the front
It was a zoomable macro lens, interesting but not surprisingly unsuccessful...the barrel roll bokeh sent my eyes wappy...:wacky:
Posted before somewhere -

znkar5.jpg

feathery headgear
2s1r4h1.jpg

zoomed
2cyfzmp.jpg

Back