Why you should get insurance....

Edit My Images
Yes
I often thought I should get some insurance for my photography. You know just in the event somebody tripped over something I left around and needed an amazing amount of surgery or need a year to recover one of my photo shoots. So being a responsible photographer type I got some.

This evening I went along to watch my wife train our dog at the local dog borstal and decided to take my camera to get some shots. So I packed it away in my Lowepro back pack and of I went.

I got some great shots of dogs jumping, fighting, barking and being chased by owners up and down the arena. Finally as I panned my camera around I got a lovely view of a great Dane emptying its bladder into my open open camera bag on the otherside of the arena with not an owner in sight. Why a puppy couldn't have tried I don't know, but for the longest 20 seconds this hound emptied itself.

Luckily for me I had emptied the bag prior to going or 5 lenses and a backup body would be steaming (along with me)

So the morale of the story..... get your bloody dogs on a lead and insured! (y)

PS - Anybody know if you can wash those bags as it honks!

So the morale of the story..... get your bloody dogs on a lead and insured! (y)
Well I'm not going to advise others not to have insurance, but for me, I've never had camera insurance in the 20ish years I've owned SLRs. I've also fortunatley never had anything damaged (yes, I realise I'm now about to). I have saved more money in not buying insurance, than the value of all my equipment. Insurance companies are there to make money.

the cost of insurance to kit is small, if someone trips over your tripod and you are liable etc... the liability inusrance costs a fortune.

Pee-Bag BobR,

Excuse me but you must get your name changed. This has got to be the first time I hear something this daft happening :p, until very soon when I am sure some weird creature will poop all over my kit! Thank the All Mighty you didn't have any kit in that bag.

That aside, the advice on insurance is spot on; especially in your circumstance :thinking:. As for the bag, I'd put it up on ebay. You never know how much it may fetch you .. there are weird things selling on there :shrug:

Pee-Bag BobR,

That aside, the advice on insurance is spot on; especially in your circumstance :thinking:. As for the bag, I'd put it up on ebay. You never know how much it may fetch you .. there are weird things selling on there :shrug:

:LOL:

a great dane aswell :D i bet he looked straight at you aswell :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I shouldn't laugh but.....

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I think I know what I would have done. I would have looked around for a suitable missile of about the same size and weight of a cricket ball. Then whipped off the lens and directed it with great force in the general direction of the relieving hound.

Do most household contents insurances cover our photography kit? Or do you need to invest in a separate policy?

Josh

Do most household contents insurances cover our photography kit? Or do you need to invest in a separate policy?

Josh

depends on how much your kit is worth - they will consider everything in the bag one item and if its over about £1000 they wont cover it. But its worth checking with them :)

depends on how much your kit is worth - they will consider everything in the bag one item and if its over about £1000 they wont cover it. But its worth checking with them :)

My home insurers consider each item a seperate item, so they're all covered under the £1500 letter. I've double checked this with them.

I should get it in writing though, just to be 100% sure ;)

Surely the OP isnt talking about camera insurance... he isnt talking about insuring his kit...

I often thought I should get some insurance for my photography. You know just in the event somebody tripped over something I left around and needed an amazing amount of surgery or need a year to recover one of my photo shoots.

Thats public liability cover he is talking about... not equipment insurance.. and well done for getting it I say :)

On a standard policy, that's only when it's in the house, and not against accidental damage.

the cost of insurance to kit is small, if someone trips over your tripod and you are liable etc... the liability inusrance costs a fortune.

Only if you're running a business, house insurance usually carries 3rd party liability insurance as part of the policy

Finally as I panned my camera around I got a lovely view of a great Dane emptying its bladder into my open open camera bag on the otherside of the arena

Did you not take a picture as evidence of the crime?

:D

My home insurers consider each item a seperate item, so they're all covered under the £1500 letter. I've double checked this with them.

I should get it in writing though, just to be 100% sure ;)

So does that mean they will cover each seperate item as long as it is valued at under £1500?

Josh

So does that mean they will cover each seperate item as long as it is valued at under £1500?

Josh

It depends on your policy Josh, you need to go and read it.

Mine has every article over £1000 listed separately.

I have got extra insurance for all my camera gear so it's insured wherever I am, not just in and around the house. Accidental damage and public liability are part of my extra policy too.

You might be able to save a few quid over the years by not having insurance (I didn't for 20 years) but it can all be wiped out by Auntie Dora tripping over a lighting stand at a wedding.

Back