WHy?

Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit windows at the moment?

32 bit windows cannot access more than 3.5GB (ish) because the IDE control takes some of the address space and if you have gone from 2x1GB to 2x1GB + 2x1GB and all your memory slots are full then the memory controller has to work harder so it's slower.

Windows index = epenis size:p

Windows assigned score of 4.6 to the slowest item that windows test so look at the test scores and see which item has the score of 4.6. That will give you an idea of what is slow.

It is also worth pointing out that windows 32bit OS will only read 3.5gb of memory and not 4gb

Tim

It doesnt really matter about the Windows Index.

As long as the system recognises the extra RAM and you notice improvement then its worthit

as said, if theyre different speeds it may effect it. different memory runs with different timing and latency settings. if its had to use a setting thats a middle ground for both then it may end up a little slower.

to be honest id be surprised if you actually notice a drop in performance if youre gaining 2gb. the experence rating only really measures small transfers etc.

If you open up your PC and take a look at the RAM, you should see some part numbers on the chips - you can Google these to try and find out the exact specification.

If you mix memory speeds, latencies, etc, your PC will use the slowest speed - you can run memory slower than spec, but not faster (unless you decide to overclock, of course). You need to look at the latency and so on, not just the bandwidth.

Does your motherboard support running unpaired memory? If it does and you have a 1GB stick - check the manual, or use Crucial's site to find out - try taking out a 1G DIMM to reduce the RAM to 3GB and see if the Windows index goes up. If it does, then Windows may be objecting to the fact that whilst you've got 4GB (good), it can't use it all (bad) - your only option here is to upgrade to 64-bit.

Either way, I personally wouldn't worry about a small decrease in Windows index scores. The scores do change as newer, faster hardware comes out.

I think Chaz is wondering why this index doodah has fallen.

The memory speed should only fall to that of his original stick.

As he has added a faster speed stick, he is wondering why things are supposedly worse?

He has posted that his sticks are 2Gig each (albeit that he got the Giga and the Mega mixed up).

My advice is to forget this index doodah, as you have already proved it's a load of nonsense.

yeah but what i said was if the timings of the memory (timings and latency are not FSB speed) are different and the setting that the system has chosen is a middle ground for each then it may end up running slower.

but i agree that the windows index is a waste of time, it only measures small transfer speeds rather than size (hence why it probably shows slower).

Have you filled all of your RAM slots now with the upgrade?

Some motherboards can't run the RAM reliably at full speed when all slots are filled. One of my other machines dropped from 400MHz to 333Mhz on RAM speed when I went from 2 to 4GB (using identical RAM). This did lower the Windows index a little but the machine was far nippier overall (with Vista 64) for the extra memory.

The Windows Index isn't a terribly useful benchmark IMO.

I clean installed Win7 Pro after running the release candidate and my index score for the processor fell from 4.5 to 3.7 and nothing had been changed except the OS. I think the index isn't really a very good measure for practical purposes. My system seems as least as fast as it was so I've decided to take no notice of the index.

I think Chaz is wondering why this index doodah has fallen.

The memory speed should only fall to that of his original stick.

As he has added a faster speed stick, he is wondering why things are supposedly worse?

He has posted that his sticks are 2Gig each (albeit that he got the Giga and the Mega mixed up).

My advice is to forget this index doodah, as you have already proved it's a load of nonsense.
WOW someone read it all (y)
Got win 7 now much better speed

i read it all but no one seems to be paying attention to the bit about latency and ram timings.. lol
you use the words and I guess noone understands them or what they mean My now stick is PC2-6400 800MHz campatible with 667MHz (DDR2-5300), 533MHz (PC2-4300)
the first stick is PC2-5300 speed 333 Mhz (DDR2 667)
Might just go and get a second new one same as stick 2

windows index... what a strange way to think your computer is powerful.

ignore it.

you use the words and I guess noone understands them or what they mean

very true..

basically despite being the same size and rated Mhz, sticks of memory that are not identical (different manufacturers and different models) will have different characteristics and may not opperate in the same way potentially impacting system speed albeit at a level that you probably wouldnt notice in real life.

also bear in mind the Windows Index takes into account stuff like hdd speed, which will be impacted by applications running etc...

it's a useless arbitary number. my laptop at home is so much more powerful, better spec and much more well kept than my laptop at work, yet it yields a lower "index". you work that one out.

Back