Wi-Fi linking 5d3 to Android device

Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Some time ago I installed DSLR Controller app to my Nexus 7 and wire tethered it to my 5D3 using LiveView etc and it worked well, thoughts were I could link it to my telescope etc and do some time lapse etc.
Long story short - I never really got round to it, but I started to think about it again and fancied doing it wirelessly if at all possible.
Well, in short it is, I bought a TP Link MR 3040 (v2.1) device, flashed some new firmware onto it and it now connects to my 5D3 via a cable and to my tablet wirelessly. The MR 3040 cost about £50 via Amazon but of course I see it can be had for about £40 from Maplins (discontinued item, so not sure how reliable their advert is).
So I can do remote focus, set aperture and shutter (if in manual mode on camera), play with Iso and do timed releases, all in all exactly what I wanted.
One slight caveat, DSLR Controller homepage does tell you that if you download/flash the wrong version of the s/w the device is kaput, and presumably not returnable, so buyer beware!!!
Matt

Back