Wi-Fi

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Ok guys I’ve a Apple AirPort Extreme and though about getting a express to extend my coverage better

But was told not to bother and get a orbi or google Wi-Fi.

Any you knowledge guys help pls

Need an idea of size of property, where are the dead spots and how many walls of what construction. A rough diagram would be helpful.

Orbi and Google are mesh systems so need to be placed in overlapping signals. They typically replace your existing wireless system also.

Well the house not big only 2 bedroom house. Prob is the router now is in lounge in corner where by point is. Dead spot is at the other side of the house at the back. Up and downstairs.

I have a tplink wireless repeater. Does both bands. Seems to work ok. It won't deal with channel interference. If your router is on auto and so is everyone else's they can often end up clashing. I usually check out neighbour's wifi and then pick free channels well away from theirs and set mine on fixed channels. Coverage is better now. I have the same issue with the wifi router being in one corner of the house and the weak spots being in the diagonally opposite corner.

Try moving the router a little bit out of the lounge room corner. Sometimes just moving it a few inches can mean it's a lot better.

So I'm assuming wall construction/thickness is your main issue then. 5Ghz will typically struggle more than 2.4Ghz at penetrating walls. Concrete and brick are the worst materials (concrete with higher water content is a nightmare).

So if you got a mesh system you'd have one connected via ethernet to your router (which then has it's wireless turned off, and typically set to "modem only" mode otherwise you end up double-NAT'ing), and then the other unit about half way between the router and the dead spot so that it picks up good signal from the base unit and broadcasts it onward.

One thing to note with mesh units is that some bandwidth is reserved so each hop will be slower.

I've been looking at the TP Link Deco over the Google Mesh system, it performs better plus you get 3 base units for the same price. Orbi is supposed to be a good performer but pricey also although personally I don't want Netgear anywhere on my network.

You could also look at powerline links and/or with wifi AP built in and just mirror your existing wireless details. But transfer rates will vary depending on your internal cabling, you never get anywhere near the stated bandwidth.

Last edited:
Why won’t you have Netgear. What wrong with them.

I think I going give google one a try

Or should I get a airport express since I’ve a Extreme but site saying they not good at mesh

I’ve replaced my Airport setup with the Google wi-fi and performance has improved. The Google wi-fi is easy to setup and I’ve now installed 3 in another house which had always given me problems due to the solid walls, no more problems with fast connection speeds through the house.

I bought a Google Wifi pack recently as my old Asus router gave up. I bought a two pack so using one of them as a mesh wifi point. For me it has fallen into the 'it just works' category which frankly ranks it as great in my books. The WAN and LAN port on the mesh point can also be used as LAN ports when used in this mode.

If you have need for multiple wired connections you obviously need some gigabit switches to extend the LAN port but these are as cheap as chips.

I bought a Google Wifi pack recently as my old Asus router gave up. I bought a two pack so using one of them as a mesh wifi point. For me it has fallen into the 'it just works' category which frankly ranks it as great in my books. The WAN and LAN port on the mesh point can also be used as LAN ports when used in this mode.
f you have need for multiple wired connections you obviously need some gigabit switches to extend the LAN port but these are as cheap as chips.
Another vote for a mesh system :)

The mesh systems are excellent - I bought the BT Whole Home version, but doubtless, they all perform similarly - complete coverage across every area of my house now, and speeds generally increased throughout. I've 5 disks deployed and one 'spare' that's just not needed, one of which is connected to the router by WiFi, and the rest connect to each other (typically on the 5GHz band), and then devices just connect to whichever one has the best speed, either on 2.4 or 5 GHz as they see fit. Mobiles etc switch seamlessly from one disk to another with no loss, and the WiFi has been up for a solid 6 months with no need to restart anything (I used to need to restart the router periodically because it would stop allowing new connections, but not since deploying the mesh and turning wifi off on the router).

Back