Wick Harbour at Dusk

This is a very nice image, spot on exposure and great colour. The contrast of the blues of the sky and sea with the orange of the sodium and tungsten lighting is the town is just excellent. The reflections of lights on the water just tie it all together well. My only other observation is that I would have cropped a little of the sky to reduce the impact of the horizon line running across the middle of the shot. It is the sky I would crop rather than the foreground given the interest and detail in the foreground. That said I am no expert and the shot works as it is.

Last edited:
This is a very nice image, spot on exposure and great colour. The contrast of the blues of the sky and sea with the orange of the sodium and tungsten lighting is the town is just excellent. The reflections of lights on the water just tie it all together well. My only other observation is that I would have cropped a little of the sky to reduce the impact of the horizon line running across the middle of the shot. It is the sky I would crop rather than the foreground given the interest and detail in the foreground. That said I am no expert and the shot works as it is.

Thank you very much for the feedback, really appreciate it! I am notorious for leaving too much sky in long exposures :) I really love the way trailing clouds look, and often leave them in, probably to the detriment of composition :)

Gordon, the sky is great in that shot so I know what you mean. You could experiment with losing some of the foreground to lower the horizon line and keep of the sky, this sort of tweaking is really subjective and personal. The shot has so many excellent elements to it I think it is worth some experimentation

Back