Wicken Fen - Cambs

grumpybadger

Alan Rickman
Name
Paul Beastall
Edit My Images
Yes
Next phase of testing the new lens. All pics are 500 f/4 L IS and 1D Mk II. The lowish light and the reeds made focusing a bit of a challenge so I know I have some more practice to go, but the only way to improve is to take pics!

Wicken Fen is an area of marshy fenland near Ely in Cambs. Was up at 7 to get to the fen for before 8 so that the wildlife would hopefully not have been disturbed by too many visitors or dog walkers. As well as bird life, it is home to some wild ponies. According the the National Trust

"We have 35 wild horses also known as koniks or tarpan. They are descended from the stock of the original European wild horse - the tarpan. The tarpan is now sadly extinct but was Europe’s version of the African zebra. "

NR7V9060-2.jpg

NR7V9219-2.jpg

Also saw a heron getting bashed by a nesting pair of lapwings. Couldn't get any closer due to the marsh land, so these are at 700mm...

NR7V9073-2.jpg

NR7V9076-2.jpg

NR7V9208-2.jpg

NR7V9149-2.jpg

We were also lucky to see little egrets. Challenge taking pictures from the hide as my lens wouldn't fit through the slots properly!

NR7V9170-2.jpg

NR7V9229-2.jpg

Very aware I need to take lots of pics to get comfortable with this lens. Can't believe another 100mm makes such a difference, but it does. Well, that and the extra 2kg!

Paul

Very nice set GB ... (y) ... getting to grips with the new one already then ... ;)

The Egret in flight is a very good capture ... :D

:p

Some good shots here.I was only looking at how to get there last night.Looks quite an interesting place.

Nice first shots.(y)
don't know why you want a bloody great thing like that:shrug: i want one:crying:

Some good shots here.I was only looking at how to get there last night.Looks quite an interesting place.

Thanks

It does get very busy during summer weekends. Getting there early is the best advice. Fun place to visit though. You really do need a long lens as the marsh stops you getting close to many things.

Paul

These look good but I think it is hard to appreciate how good. I'm guessing 500mm + 1.4x means they were a long way off! Are these the full shot or crops?

They're not hard crops but most are cropped a bit (probably about 60% of frame area remains). Yes, things were a long way off!

Thanks for helping fund it Robert!

Back