Wide Angle distortion

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I have 2 images that I need straightening. Shot with my 14-24, likely near the 14mm end (don't have the images here with me at the mo) that I need sorting out.

People close to the edges (though not at the edge) are looking wider than they should.

I've used Nikon's capture NX and they're still looking out of shape - it could be me but need a fresh eyes to look into it :)

Also used CS3 lens correction, but not getting along too well with it.

Anyone interested? Please PM me :)

Lee

I wonder if DXO might help. I would have suggested PTLens as an option, but to be honest I get just as good a result using Free Transform in CS3. Only problem is with PT Lens and Free Transform you tend to lose the edges, probably not a good idea in this case.

Just one point re DXO. There is a thread on another web site re a piece of security software that DXO apparently install when it is loaded, and this person had a major lock up with it. I pass that on for what it's worth

Link
http://www.prophotohome.com/forum/canon-1-series-digital-slr-eos-5d/75372-dxo-warning.html

John C

Hi John

I can probably spare approx 200px at each side of the original image if that helps?

Don't like the sound of DXO from the forum.

How can the free transform tool be used for this then?

Thanks for the reply.

Lee

The Free Transform tool enables you to distort the image.Rather than try and describe what it does try this.

With the image loaded in Photoshop, Make the canvas ( not the picture) bigger, it just helps thats all.

Select All. (CTRL+A) now select the Free Transform Tool (CTRL+T).

Now holding down the CTRL key grab one of the corners using the arrow tool. and still holding the CTRL key stretch or shrink that portion of the image. You can do this all around the image, provided you've got room. Unfortunately with only 200 pixels its pretty tight.

Now you will have an image that is no longer a perfect rectangle, you need to use the crop tool to tidy up.

The other method. and longer maybe to use the Liquefy Tool. Instant slimming within Photoshop. That one takes a bit longer to explain, however I've a MP4 podcast that explains it. PM me with your email and I'll forward it on to you.

I would offer to have a go but I'm away this evening for a few days ( damn work!!) so I couldn't get round to it for a while

John C

Lee

Just did a bit of a rough and ready test.

depending on you distortion, use the Free Transform option, but select the handles at the side, not the ones at the corners. Then shrink the image using the left and right handles to reduce the distortion. I think the Free Transform affects the pixels at the edge more than the center so it may make the changes without affecting the other parts to much.

Worth a try

John C

Sorted it - thanks for the link Paul (y)

The 'Squeeze' filter allowed me to enter the exact field of view value, and sorted it straight away.

Thanks so much!

Back