Wide angle lens D60

Edit My Images
No
The title says it all really! I am quite new to photography and am wondering what the best wide angle lens is for my D60 and how much I should look at paying for it. Any links would be appriciated! Also i would prefer it to have VR! :LOL:

Any help appriciated :)
Ruth

Well... no wide angle lens has VR.

However the 18-55 VR kit lens is quite good, and thats often wide enough for most folks.

If 18mm isn't wide enough you are out of luck. FYI you don't need VR on a wide angle lens, I've shot wide exposures at over 1 second handheld with no visible motion blur.

Depends what you mean by wide angle. I have the Sigma 18-50 2.8 which is great and pretty wide but the Sigma 10-20mm is ultra wide and very good for the money.

If 18mm is wide enough then look at the Nikon 18-105mm VR.

I've got the Sigma 10-20mm which is a great lens for the money. It's a little slow at f4-5.6 but you probably wouldn't use this lens for sport anyway, and it doesn't have VR but like PD says, you don't need it. You can pick the Sigma 10-20mm for around 350 new or less used.

I'm looking into a wide angle for my D60 and have narrowed it down to the Sigma 10-20 or the Tokina 12-24, both similar prices.

Thanks for all of the advice. I didnt realise that you didnt need VR! Sigma 10-20 is looking to be the best bet then and will have a look at the Tokina 12-24.
Thanks all :)

I have the D60 and the 18-55 VR lens that came with it.

The 18-55 is good, I like it, gives a good wide angle.

The one`s mentioned by lookup sound good though...

:)

Just bear in mind that the D60 requires the lens to autofocus as there is no autofocus in the body, so the tokina won't auto but the sigma will. Not a major problem but something to be aware of.

Andy

Apparently there is a Tokina 12-24 coming out with an AF motor..?

I've just done a quick doogle and it was announced at Photokina 2008 that they would be releasing numerous new lenses with internal motors. Doesn't say when though.

69000 yen (about £470) released in November in Japan, doesn't say when here.

... wondering what the best wide angle lens is for my D60 and how much I should look at paying for it.
No question at all, the best wide angle lens for any Nikon is the AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8 G IF-ED. It's just unbelievable - incredibly sharp from corner to corner, even wide open at f/2.8, even at 14mm. But I guess that's why it costs over £1000, even without VR .....

(But I guess that's not really what you had in mind when you asked the question.)

Back