Wide Angle Lens for 550D on a budget?

Edit My Images
Yes
So money is tight at the moment, however I'm looking for a wide angle lens as I'm sick of standing on my head in the corner of a room trying to take a photo :LOL:

I've got a Canon 50mm f/1.8 II which is practically unused that i'll sell, but I've found the Sigma EX 10-20mm F4 at around £170 which seems a good price and a decent lens. Does anyone have any suggestions on something else?

Sigma is a very nice lens.

Depends on your budget, but Canon 10-18mm EF-S is less than £180... I've been using Tamron 10-24mm for last few years and served me well on my 600d & 7d MKii

It's either the Sigma or the Tamron. The Canon is a bit too expensive unfortunately!

EDIT: Didn't realise there was a 10-18mm!

I've currently got a Canon 24-105mm

Last edited:
Canon 10-18 easily.

I can endorse the 10-18, a really sharp little lens and better than the Sigmas and definitely a lot better than the Canon 10-22. £179 most places with £20 cashback with Canon so a brilliant deal imo.

Another vote for the 10-18 STM, you won't be disappointed.

I can endorse the 10-18, a really sharp little lens and better than the Sigmas and definitely a lot better than the Canon 10-22. £179 most places with £20 cashback with Canon so a brilliant deal imo.
It's good but it's not better than the 10-22, in IQ (though it's close, with the 10-22 having better corner sharpness) or build quality. The 10-22 also a stop faster, and has a focus window which is very useful for Astro (where it's wider aperture of course also helps). The 10-22 is the better lens, but it's a lot more expensive.

Last edited:
In looking at what you have the 24-105 works out at a 38-168. May be a 17- 50 would help

I went for the used Sigma, however not seeing the latest posts about the 10-18 Canon with IS and cashback.

Now somewhat regretting the purchase..

I went for the used Sigma, however not seeing the latest posts about the 10-18 Canon with IS and cashback.

Now somewhat regretting the purchase..

Enjoy your new lens, but why are you regretting your purchase already ?
Have you tried the Sigma lens out - does it do what you want and don't forget, it is a constant F4 (I presume this is the lens you bought from your original post?)

Enjoy your new lens, but why are you regretting your purchase already ?
Have you tried the Sigma lens out - does it do what you want and don't forget, it is a constant F4 (I presume this is the lens you bought from your original post?)
It's the 10-20mm f4-5.6, not the 10-18. It might have been a haphazard comment, however the Sigma doesn't have IS, and whilst this shouldn't be a problem, I bought this lens mainly for inside photos due to the 24-105 not being wide enough.

My issue is that I'd still need to be mostly in a corner, and since I don't have a flip screen, trying to stand in position to take abs prepare the photo isn't the most stable situation

If you're still finding yourself awkwardly jammed in a corner with 10mm, then you need the bigger, heavier, more expensive, and optically superior Sigma 8-16mm. Breaking my Sigma 10-20mm when a sudden fierce gust of wind toppled my tripod gave me the excuse to upgrsde and i love the 8-16mm. Those extra 2mm get you a lot of extra width.

It sounds as though you're doing RE photography. While the extra wide angle of view will reduce your contortions it does so at the expense of a wider angle view, with the concomitant problems of more exaggerated "wide angle distortion" as the perfectly natural rectilinear wide angle perspective projection (which you'd equally get from a pinhole camera, it's just optical geometry, not "distortion") is often called. I note that most of the authoritative RE photographers who publish advice, articles, etc., think that going wider than 12mm on crop or 15mm on FF is both aesthetically bad and can lead to complaints of misrepresenting the size of small rooms.

As it happens I don't agree. I shoot a lot urban cityscapes, often in narrow old streets, and sometimes wish I had a little more than 8mm (on my crop frame). Not nearly as often, however, as I used to find myself jammed against the stop of 10mm and trying to find somewhere I could step a little further back, even though I do have a fully articulated live LCD for those awardly jammed in a corner shots. I once seriously considered doing local part time RE work to support my expensive hobby, and think a fully articulated LCD or remote live view on a smartphone essential for awkward interior spaces.

Got £70 in Amazon vouchers for Xmas and it has got me thinking about a wide angle lens ( I have nothing lower than my standard 18-55 for my canon 60D at the moment ) and saw this thread and a few others.

Looks like the 10-18stm is a good budget option (£179 on Amazon) for me at the moment

Should I pull the trigger ??

Got £70 in Amazon vouchers for Xmas and it has got me thinking about a wide angle lens ( I have nothing lower than my standard 18-55 for my canon 60D at the moment ) and saw this thread and a few others.

Looks like the 10-18stm is a good budget option (£179 on Amazon) for me at the moment

Should I pull the trigger ??

I have both the EF-S 10-22mm and the 10-18mm.

I really like the 10-22 but it's weight on my gripped 70D can be a struggle for me since I had a stroke in Febryary this year. Have been using the 10-18 on a borrowed 650D and my EOS M and been really pleased with the results, and, naturally, the weight! Being an STM lens the 10-18 has the advantage of being both silent and the front element not rotating on focus so is good with polarising/variable ND filters too.

I would still rate the 10-22 as a better lens overall with f/3.5 wide open against f/4.5 on the 10-18. With the blasted weather and my not driving currently, weight is everything.

Don't disregard the 10-22. If you can source and try a secondhand one, give it a go. As ever it depends on what you can wait for and how it feels in use..

I have tried the Tamron 10-24 but I just did not like the results. When paired with my old 50D. Focussing speed and accuracy was not as good as the EF-S 10-22. No experience of the Sigma 10-20.

Calumet is currently doing the 10-18 for £179 with a free 3 year warranty. Might be a better deal than Amazon?

Good luck.

Not if he's got Amazon vouchers, Steve ;).

Hi Dave... hope all good with you in the far North. Long time no speak. (I would rather get 2015 behind me!).

I had realised about the Amazon vouchers but the 3 year warranty is a temptation. I traded off £125 of amazon voucher cards in 2 little metal cases, with a friend buying a TV on Amazon so I could buy some Interfit lights locally.. (Got the £125 in cash).

So might be an option for a better deal/option?

My eldest grand-daughter is thoroughly enjoying her move to DSLR photography! She wants to use my FF 5c...... Nooooo ☺

Keep fighting the good fight

Steve

Trigger pulled

Delivery expected on New Years Eve :)

Trigger pulled

Delivery expected on New Years Eve :)

I am sure you will enjoy it.

I have a Manfrotto BeeFree One tripod arriving tomorrow. Will be out with it on Wednesday at Seaton Sands in Devon with my 10-18 on a 1200D to try out a 'lightweight' setup in, hopefully, wild weather conditions. Yes I have a waterproof cover bag!

Have fun with your lens.

10-18 arrived today and first impressions in poor light are very good

Seems very sharp although admittedly indoors and outdoor in very overcast conditions I had to increase the ISO a little

Got some spare time tomorrow and going to make a huge effort to get some pictures locally with it in between the rain

Back