Wide angle lens for full frame Canon.

Budget?

A few options, but hard to say without knowing what your use will be and what you want to spend....

I think unless you want to go fishing the Sigma 12-24 is about the widest, there are some Samyang wides but what fits what I have no idea.
If money is no object you could always get a 17mm TS-E , that will go really wide but at a price

Last edited:
The Canon 8-15 is about as wide as you'll get, but be warned youll get pics of your feet :)

If you need it only once in a while you should consider stitching in post. A bunch of frames, ideally at 24mm (winder creates problems) will get you equivalent FOV of 12mm or wider. TSE would be ideal for this.

Other than that 11-24mm zoom is your best bet.

Try a IRIX 11mm, although this one does not take front filters it will take a rear gel filter or there is the big brother at a whopping 15mm f2.4 this one does take front filters (95mm)
Both excellent lens.
Oh there is a laowa 11mm but got no idea about filters for the front.

... there are some Samyang wides but what fits what I have no idea.

Samyang have a 14mm wide - works great on a full frame and they do it in either Canon or Nikon fit, manual focus, good, cheap lens, but it's hardly any wider than OP's 16-35.
Canon 11-24
Sigma 12-24
canon 8-15 for really wide

If you need it only once in a while you should consider stitching in post. A bunch of frames, ideally at 24mm (winder creates problems) will get you equivalent FOV of 12mm or wider. TSE would be ideal for this.

Other than that 11-24mm zoom is your best bet.
I think stitching in post is not a bad idea as so far I can not find any really wide lens with filter thread in front

I think stitching in post is not a bad idea as so far I can not find any really wide lens with filter thread in front
Of course....it's the fact that they're wide that precludes the use of front mounted filters. What is it about rear mounted filters that makes them undesirable?

Of course....it's the fact that they're wide that precludes the use of front mounted filters. What is it about rear mounted filters that makes them undesirable?
Yes, you are right the wide lens is the more bulbous front element would be.
I probably need to spend more time and research what types of filter holders are there before choosing lens.
I have never used rear mounted filter and don't think I want to.

If you are into stiching you can far more easily do bracketing and deal with all the "filter work" in post (except CPL). I haven't used a filter in ages and I don't see the need for one any longer.

If you are into stiching you can far more easily do bracketing and deal with all the "filter work" in post (except CPL). I haven't used a filter in ages and I don't see the need for one any longer.
In my case it would be hard to imitate 10 - 16 stops nd filter in post processing. I shoot extrem long exposures. I am not saying it is impossible but I prefer to do it on the field.

In my case it would be hard to imitate 10 - 16 stops nd filter in post processing. I shoot extrem long exposures. I am not saying it is impossible but I prefer to do it on the field.

Yes. I saw a tutorial for Photoshop to replicate and it basically involves taking same total exposure length over tens to hundreds of frames... Filter is probably a better bet then.

Samyang have a 14mm wide - works great on a full frame and they do it in either Canon or Nikon fit, manual focus, good, cheap lens, but it's hardly any wider than OP's 16-35.
Well 14mm vs 16mm is quite a big difference in field of view terms. Of course at the longer end going from (say) 180 to 182mm would make hardly any difference.

Unfortunately the table I could find don't offer 16mm figured but...
A 14mm offers (on full frame) 104.3 horizontal, 81.2 vertical and 114.2 diagonal field of view.
A 15mm offers 100.4 (h) 77.3 (v) 110.5 (d)
and a 17mm 93.3 (h) 70.4 (v) 103.7 (d)
A 16mm will be somewhere in between the 15mm and 17mm.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1305667/0 discusses the same comparison (14mm to 16mm) with some examples.

Well 14mm vs 16mm is quite a big difference in field of view terms. Of course at the longer end going from (say) 180 to 182mm would make hardly any difference.

Unfortunately the table I could find don't offer 16mm figured but...
A 14mm offers (on full frame) 104.3 horizontal, 81.2 vertical and 114.2 diagonal field of view.
A 15mm offers 100.4 (h) 77.3 (v) 110.5 (d)
and a 17mm 93.3 (h) 70.4 (v) 103.7 (d)
A 16mm will be somewhere in between the 15mm and 17mm.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1305667/0 discusses the same comparison (14mm to 16mm) with some examples.

In theory yes, but it's not really though in practical terms. You could take a couple of steps backwards with the 16mm lens and you probably wouldn't change lenses unless distance to subject was restricted, but then you've distortion to contend with. Now if thats what you're shooting and have a restricted distance, and a limited budget then yes a 14mm would be a good choice, the Samyung is a good cheap choice. I have one.

But for the versatility, and with a budget of £1000 then the zooms offer a better solution.

Can someone advise me a wide angle lens with filter thread. I already have Canon 16-35mm and want to go for something wider.
There aren't many options if you insist on a filter thread, and I can see why you would.

Irix 15mm f/2.4 takes a 95mm filter
Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 takes a 95mm filter
Laowa 15mm f/4 takes a 77mm filter

The following ultra-wide lenses do not take front filters:
Sigma 8mm f/3.5 fisheye
Canon 8-15mm f/4 fisheye
Irix 11mm f/4
Canon 11-24mm f/4
Laowa 12mm f/2.8
Sigma 12-24mm f/4
Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6
Sigma 14mm f/1.8
Canon 14mm f/2.8
Samyang 14mm f/2.8
Canon 15mm f/2.8 fisheye
Sigma 15mm f/2.8 fisheye
Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8

So I think you're limited to 15mm, which isn't much of an improvement on 16mm - 100.4° horizontal field of view compared to 96.7°.

There aren't many options if you insist on a filter thread, and I can see why you would.

Sigma 8mm f/3.5 fisheye
Canon 8-15mm f/4 fisheye
Irix 11mm f/4
Canon 11-24mm f/4
Laowa 12mm f/2.8
Sigma 12-24mm f/4
Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6
Sigma 14mm f/1.8
Canon 14mm f/2.8
Samyang 14mm f/2.8
Canon 15mm f/2.8 fisheye
Sigma 15mm f/2.8 fisheye
Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8

So I think you're limited to 15mm, which isn't much of an improvement on 16mm - 100.4° horizontal field of view compared to 96.7°.
I guess you are right. I did lots of research myself before starting new topic here but thought I have missed some third party lens.

Alot of those lenses will take front filters but u will need to invest in new filters (150mm generally) and a new holder. I ended up doing this from my tamron 15-30. Obviously carries a cost Todo and it can be a right pita to transport

Sigma 8mm f/3.5 fisheye
Canon 8-15mm f/4 fisheye
Irix 11mm f/4
Canon 11-24mm f/4
Laowa 12mm f/2.8
Sigma 12-24mm f/4
Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6
Sigma 14mm f/1.8
Canon 14mm f/2.8
Samyang 14mm f/2.8
Canon 15mm f/2.8 fisheye
Sigma 15mm f/2.8 fisheye
Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8

Whilst the Samyang 14mm doesn't have a filter thread, it does take square filters. However, they're huge.

Straight ND filters or grads? If straight, you can probably get gels and fit them in the holders behind the rear elements in some lenses (the Sigma 8mm fisheye and 12-24 UWA share the same filters.)

But that's only because you're not trying to screw a 10-stop ND filter into the front of it. Read post #1 and post #18.

Isn't that what the lens cap retainer (non Art versions) is designed for as well?

Edit:

In fact, yes it does.

From The Digital Picture:

The inner section of the 2-piece lens cap (the slide-on aluminum lens cap adapter) has 82mm filter threads. On a full frame body, at 24mm (only), an 82mm filter can be mounted to the lens cap adapter and used without vignetting. With the lens cap adapter installed (as shown below) and the lens mounted on a full frame body, vignetting becomes increasingly apparent at wider focal lengths until 12mm where most of the view in the frame is circular.

Last edited:
Now thats quite interesting as I have a few 150mm glass filters from broadcast cameras which I've previously used mostly handheld or rubber band.

Where did you buy yours from and what was the cost?

I'm living abroad and got it in a local shop. The filter holder for 150mm was about USD 90 and the adaptor for 17 TSE about USD 150.

Back