Wide angle lens for my 400D - any recommendations?

Edit My Images
No
I'm looking for a wide angle lens for my Canon EOD400D, can anyone recommend anything? I mainly photograph automotive stuff (cars, motorsport events etc) but have recently ventured into other things. I'll also be going to Las Vegas in a few weeks, figured it'd be handy out there too.

A couple of choices:

Canon EFS10-22
Sigma 10-20

These are both for crop sensors so ideal for 400D. Both have loyal followings on this board. The Canon is more expensive than the Sigma. Personally I have the Canon 10-22. It's a great lens but personally I had a learning curve at the beginning trying to get the best from this lens compositionally and simply getting nice sharp images from it. But maybe I would have had the same experience with the Sigma also.

You might also consider the Sigma 12-24 which will work on Full Sensor if you are thinking of ever upgrading.

Your bias is price - Sigma 10-20
Your bias is picture quality - Canon 10-22

Simple choice, and very little in the quality difference both on build and image.

Tokina 12-24 great lens prices vary from £230 to £299 but a great lens as are the Sigma and Canon W/A lens

My Sigma suffers quite badly with chromatic aberation. I seem to remember reading that this is a common problem with wide angle lenses... but don't quote me.

I use a Sigma 10-20 on my 400D and think it is a great lens, haven't used anything else, so can't comment on them. But you will not be disappointed with a 10-20mm

Don't forget to factor in the price of a Lens Hood whatever you decide. Wide angle lenses are really prone to lens flare.

There"s a new Canon 10-22 just gone up for sale on AVforums.

Thanks for the feedback guys, does anybody have example shots from either of the lenses?

Some shots on my Flickr stream. I have tagged all my shots taken with my Canon EFS 10-22.

linky (hope this works!).

I have the Sigma and love it, I have seen the Canon on sale for a lower price in several places though (but have no experience of it).

You've almost sold it to me. As far as wide angle lenses go, where does this 10-22 sit in relation to others? I'm really struggling to differentiate each of them to find one that best suits me and different topics of photography.

"Subjectively" quality wise for WA's it goes like this

Canon 10-22
Tokina 12-24
Sigma 10-20

Also remember that Sigma have QC issues (not quite as bad as they used to but there still seem to be the occasional bad lens coming out) whereas the otheres are almost guarenteed to be as good as expected.

A little googling around will tell you pretty much everyone agrees the Canon EFS 10-22 is the best of the bunch by a fair way.

Of course the usual arguments get thrown in:

1) Its EFS, so no use on a xD series body if you upgrade at some point...

2) Its more expensive than the others

My arguments against those points are:

1) Like duh? Really?

2) The question always asked is "what is the best ultra wide angle for my Canon xxxxD/xxxD/xxD" and surprisingly enough like pretty much all kit questions, the best is the most expensive...

It won't work on a xD camera (ie 1D, 5D or their successors) because they aren't APS-C sized sensor bodies. EF-S lenses are for APS-C bodies only.

I like my 15-30mm sigma ex and it's full frame as well it was made for 35mm cameras it's a great len's and doesn't give any moon faces you see with the 10mm, it's a very forgiving len's and only about £190 or less the 15-30mm has a len's hood Incorporated in the design, you can either use the rear type filters, or a 82mm screw type at the front, had some great shots with mine, i prefer it to the 10-20mm that is used for landscapes, but i still get my feet in:LOL::LOL: in fact here's a link sigma 15mm-30mm it's a secret gem

Regards Mark.

I like my 15-30mm sigma ex and it's full frame as well it was made for 35mm cameras it's a great len's and doesn't give any moon faces you see with the 10mm, it's a very forgiving len's and only about £190 or less the 15-30mm has a len's hood Incorporated in the design, you can either use the rear type filters, or a 82mm screw type at the front, had some great shots with mine, i prefer it to the 10-20mm that is used for landscapes, but i still get my feet in:LOL::LOL: in fact here's a link sigma 15mm-30mm it's a secret gem

Regards Mark.

hmm I was thinking about the 10-20 but now I know this exsists I may change that

Back