wide angle Lens-help

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
i have a D90(newbie) and would like to purchase a wide angle lens for it.

i have read reviews and threads but still cant work out the best lens (£300-£600.00)

i just need a lens for basic countryside views, do i need a zoom or not?.

Sigma keeps coming up on searches, can you buy a sigma lens that has AF?.

What about a Nikon zoom wide angle.

thanks

(confused)

jim

Wow! I`m surprised, alot of people thnk the sigma 10-20mm is an awesome lens! Me included.

Jimred: The Sigma 10-20mm has HSM which is a Autofocusing motor inside the lens so thats the AF sorted out, up to you what lens you go for, but for what its worth its an awesome lens and will be the lower end of your £300 to £600 budget, (£300 to £400) i dont need to show you what the lens can do there are tons of pictures out there.

I researched this a lot when I was thinking of getting a super wide and everything pointed to the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 having the best image quality. Even better than the Nikon. That said, it's also the smallest focal range of the zooms, and all the other popular lenses in that class have a decent image quality.

Wow! I`m surprised, alot of people thnk the sigma 10-20mm is an awesome lens! Me included.

Jimred: The Sigma 10-20mm has HSM which is a Autofocusing motor inside the lens so thats the AF sorted out, up to you what lens you go for, but for what its worth its an awesome lens and will be the lower end of your £300 to £600 budget, (£300 to £400) i dont need to show you what the lens can do there are tons of pictures out there.

Optically there is not much wrong with it, and in some ways it outperforms the Tokinas, but it is slower and the build quality is rubbish compared to the Tokinas (although I think the Nikon may be as well, the Canon 10-22 isn't either).

Optically there is not much wrong with it, and in some ways it outperforms the Tokinas, but it is slower and the build quality is rubbish compared to the Tokinas (although I think the Nikon may be as well, the Canon 10-22 isn't either).

Ok fair play, cant see why you would want a fast lens for landscapes and I cant say i agree with you that the sigma 10-20 has rubbish build quality but then again what do i know?:clap:

I have the sigma 10-20 and it's a good lens IMHO.
As said it's at the bottom end of your price range and it's certainly not money wasted.

Another shout for the Sigma 10-20mm here - inherited one recently and it is absolute quality.

Very sharp, nice to focus - fast enough for me ;) and decent build quality. That said, I've not tried to throw it about to test it !!!!

Anth

:plus1: for this lens.

but it is slower and the build quality is rubbish compared to the Tokinas.

Totally, completely and utterly disagree!!

Slower? I've never used a Tokina, but an ultra-wide angle? does it matter?

Pete

Ok fair play, cant see why you would want a fast lens for landscapes and I cant say i agree with you that the sigma 10-20 has rubbish build quality but then again what do i know?:clap:
I use my wide angle in doors a bit (family occasions, can get almost a whole room in) and for night landscapes where I need as much light as possible (as everything is pretty much at infinity a "shallow" dof doesn't really matter). With that in mind I am so tempted to trade my 12-24 for a 11-16 as the extra stop would be brilliant.

I didn't say it had a rubbish build quality, just that is is poor compared to the tokina build quality (having used all three), the tokina build quiality is really exceptional for the price point, it is L lens quality.:)

:plus1: for this lens.

Totally, completely and utterly disagree!!

Slower? I've never used a Tokina, but an ultra-wide angle? does it matter?

Pete

Have you actually tried the tokina and sigma to check the buid quality? Pretty much every review of the tokinas rave about it. And I've already commented on the slowness.:)

I would still say overall the tokinas are better than the sigma (and that is the same as a few reviews I haveread comparing the two), however there are slight differences that would sway you either way, the Sigma is wider, so if you need all the width you can get then the sigma 10-20 and Canon 10-22 would be your best bet, however if you need ruggedness and or low(er) light capabilities then the tokinas are the better bet (11-16 specifically).

I own a siggie 10-20 and tbh, whilst I love it to bits, as a general landscape lens, I don't think its the best option, it can push details too far way to make an effective shot. Its far more effective for urban landscapes and architecture. I would go for something a bit narrower for countryside landscapes, 12-24 or similar. Having said that, if you do want to go for the Sigma, I have had no issues with build quality or speed of focusing. (y)

I didn't say it had a rubbish build quality, just that is is poor compared to the tokina build quality (having used all three), the tokina build quiality is really exceptional for the price point, it is L lens quality.:)

Have you actually tried the tokina and sigma to check the buid quality? Pretty much every review of the tokinas rave about it. And I've already commented on the slowness.:)

I would still say overall the tokinas are better than the sigma (and that is the same as a few reviews I haveread comparing the two), however there are slight differences that would sway you either way, the Sigma is wider, so if you need all the width you can get then the sigma 10-20 and Canon 10-22 would be your best bet, however if you need ruggedness and or low(er) light capabilities then the tokinas are the better bet (11-16 specifically).

No I haven't handled a Tokina, if you were to say that the Tokina is better build quality, I wouldn't/couldn't disagree in the slightest. Regrettably, re your first post, you DID say the Sigma is rubbish, which, as my choice of lens, I took exception to. I wouldn't buy rubbish.

If you were to say that the Tokina has faster focus, again, I wouldn't/couldn't disagree in the slightest, but I stand by my comment to that, "but an ultra-wide angle? does it matter?"

Pete

No I haven't handled a Tokina, if you were to say that the Tokina is better build quality, I wouldn't/couldn't disagree in the slightest. Regrettably, re your first post, you DID say the Sigma is rubbish, which, as my choice of lens, I took exception to. I wouldn't buy rubbish.

If you were to say that the Tokina has faster focus, again, I wouldn't/couldn't disagree in the slightest, but I stand by my comment to that, "but an ultra-wide angle? does it matter?"

Pete

No I didn't, if you read it again I said:

but it is slower and the build quality is rubbish compared to the Tokinas

The important word is highlighted in bold, it changes the sentence completely, from saying it is rubbish to saying it is nowhere near as good as the Tokinas.:)

Think of the Tokina 12-24 and 11-16 as L lenses (they are in fact part of Tokinas pro prange) and the sigma 10-20 as the 18-55 kit lens (or other consumer lenses). Get the difference now?

As for focus, I didn't mention anything about that, "fast" in photographic terms means a larger aperture, the Tokinas are f/4 and f/2.8, whereas the Sigma is f/4-5.6, that extra stop at the long end is important to me, and the extra 2 for the 11-16 would be brilliant (for my needs).:)

EDIT: However I guess I chose a poor choice of words, I should have put poor instead of rubbish. (However on the plus side of that, with all the plastic, it is a couple of hundred grams lighter, which could be a godsend if you are lugging it a long way, which is a downside to my lens) :)

I could well be selling my nikon 12-24 f4 soonish if thats any help. see edit

love these lens ****ing contests. The sigma is a very good lens, full stop.

Back