Beginner wide angle lens (nikon)

Edit My Images
No
Hi all.
I'm looking for recommendations on a wide angle lens for my d60.I work on a country estate with a 20 bedroom mansion as the centre piece.I work closely with the owners and have had the ok to practice my photography on the estate including right through inside.I'm looking for a suitable wife angle lens for taking photos of the rooms but if possible also some lanscape pictures.I know my d60 is an old girl but will be upgrading at some stage so the lens will be used on a new camera also (probably ff) .any help and I would be so grateful.

I'd think that 24mm would be wide enough, if not a 28mm or even a 35mm (but that's on full frame, and I guess that the rooms are quite big?). It depends on your 'style' and whether you think that you have to cram everything in, or keep it more natural. A main challenge with interiors is going to be the lighting though - regardless of lens used. I'm talking about tonal range from external daylight as seen outside the windows, to the recesses of the rooms. So you need a strategy for that.

I'd think that 24mm would be wide enough, if not a 28mm or even a 35mm (but that's on full frame, and I guess that the rooms are quite big?). It depends on your 'style' and whether you think that you have to cram everything in, or keep it more natural. A main challenge with interiors is going to be the lighting though - regardless of lens used. I'm talking about tonal range from external daylight as seen outside the windows, to the recesses of the rooms. So you need a strategy for that.

Thanks for the reply,I'm lucky in that I can photograph as many times as I like.it's not a one opportunity thing.so regarding the lighting I can get things wrong (which I will lol),but then have another go at another time.yes the rooms are big,very high also.

Also a daft question but what do you have at the moment in terms of the widest lens?
Hi Nguss.thanks for the reply.I have 70-300mm,50mm and the lens that came in the kit,think it is 18-55mm?.I'm looking to get lenses which I can use on a new camera,when I upgrade.probably a ff so obviously dx lens are out.

Hi Nguss.thanks for the reply.I have 70-300mm,50mm and the lens that came in the kit,think it is 18-55mm?.I'm looking to get lenses which I can use on a new camera,when I upgrade.probably a ff so obviously dx lens are out.
Do you find the 18 too tight having used it? The only thing wider that I can think of that is cheapish and decent is the Samyang 14mm 2.8 but it does not take filters if that is important, otherwise you may be looking at the 16-35 / 18-35 or the like for zooms.

Yes it does!

In fairness, it doesn't take filters natively so would need some form of adaptor to use front mounted filters.

There is the Sigma 12-24 which is pretty wide whatever it's mounted on (no filter mount on that either btw) but have you considered a little bit of panoramic stitching instead? You could use your 18mm in portrait orientation on a tripod and get a wide angle effect with two or three horizontally stitched images. It's nice to use dedicated equipment but reading this I cannot help thinking that you might end up spending a lot of money on something that is either a compromise now or a compromise if you move to FX or a bit of both.

If you are going to buy an ultra wide, I would possibly suggest just buying a sensibly priced DX ultrawide secondhand and then sell if you change format further down the road. Shouldn't lose much if you buy sensibly and look after it. If you go down this route, there are loads of good options to choose from. My favourite is the Tokina 11-16 (would need the mk2 version to use auto focus on your camera) but I also like the sigma 10-20 and my mate's Nikon 12-24 seemed a good lens too.

Get a used DX and then you can always sell it for similar money down the line.
sigma 10-20 new or old version
Tokina 11-16 or 11-20 (newer version)

Job done.

Phil d has a 10-20 sigma for £180! It's a fantastic lens ! I had one it's great

IMG_0429.jpg

I have one i might sell too, im looking at the tokina 11-20 so i can do night stuff with it.
Apart from the aperture, i live the sigma. Solid feel to it.

Also have a look at the IRIX 15mm 2.4 lens, new company, they have 2 builds of the same lens but all the guts/glass is the same, just different outside, I got one and I like it.
It has a infinity stop click on the focus ring so if doing night shots you know when you are at infinity.

Some good comments in this thread. I did not think about getting a DX lens. An alternative might be that, unless you need full frame, to get a decent wide dx and upgrade the camera to a more recent DX camera instead.

I use a Nikon 12-24mm DX lens on my Nikon D300. Ok for landscapes but with buildings it really brings the distortion up and would not recommend it for that

BELOW @12 MM

San Francisco town hall

Last edited:
Back