Wide Angle Lens

Edit My Images
Yes
I have an Olympus E500 which I am very pleased with and am now looking for a second hand Olympus OM wide angle lens which I can fit to the E500 using the appropriate mount.

Can anyone please tell me which in their opinion would be the best lens to buy?? Your recomendations and reasons for purchasing the lens will be very much appreciated.

I joined a Olympus user group back when I got my C5050. The group is still going and has moved on to the current dslrs.
They have a website Here with camera and lens information.

As to what lens that depends on how wide you want to go. What was a wide lens for a film camera is usually nearer a std lens on a dslr with its smaller sensor. So your best bet may be to find a shop that will let you put the lens on your camera for you to see.

Thanks for that Robert, I have just put the site on my screen and will register and join, it looks good.

They share pictures and have competitions but it is mainly tech support on camera problems and use of settings you will get there.

You won't do better for improving your photography with any camera than right here ;)

I have written off that project but thanks for all your help anyway.

I have just bought a Hoya polariser and am trying to find out which the top bit which you use for the best results and which is the bottom which I understand does not produce such good results, can you help??

A std polariser should be the same either way up. Just rotate it until reflected glare is at a minimum... sky darkest blue...whatever.

Circular polarisers don't have an orientation.

Robert,

OK, that has cleared away a lot of misunderstanding. Can you tell me why the outer rim has a white mark painted on it please??

so you can remember where you last turned it for the best result :)

Robert,

I did some experiments with my polarising lens this afternoon. We had a very heavy sky with patches of blue in between. I was looking through the view finder and not the LCD screen as I have a DSLR. I noticed the clouds getting darker and took some very good shots. I also tried focusing on the fish in my pond and saw the reflection of the water diminish as I rotated the outer ring of the filter. I think I will need to practice and learn about this filter, it's not as easy at it seems!! I got the best results with the white mark at the top of the camera lens so now I want to see what happens if I move it 45 degrees either side of vertical, if you see what I mean.

I have a circular poariser for one of my dslr lenses. I have not used a straight polariser since back in my film days many years ago so I am struggling to remember.... but I don't think there is any benefit outside of its 'right' position.

Thats the beauty of digital though - experiment as much as you like :)

OK robert, I will try some more shots tomorrow and let you know how i GOT ON. If you like, I could email you a jpeg so you can see for your self.

But I think Ronb has a circ pol. In which case the orientation fully depends on the location you are in.

Post them here - you will learn more by sharing your photos here. There are many here much more knowledgeable than me.

Contact Matty (assuming you have not already) if you want somewhere to upload and share your pictures (gallery space - click the 'members gallery' link at the top to see other peoples).

SammyC said:
But I think Ronb has a circ pol. In which case the orientation fully depends on the location you are in.

It does?

Got mine in the late Autumn so not actually used it yet!

I stand corrected! guess I'd better read up on them instead of guessing :)

Well, when I say location I mean orientation to your subject and the position of the sun etc. Basically you rotate it until you get the desired effect.

Yes a circular polarizer works by blocking a certain frequency of light and it works in relation to the sun/light source. So when you might get good effects on one day with it positioned at say "15" past vertical on another day with the sun/light is coming from a different position then the polarizer will have to be rotated to a different position to get the same results. That's why they rotate ;) You can usually see the difference through the viewfinder while rotating it and depending on what effect you are seeking will depend on how you position the filter.

Not a lot of sun about at the moment, even worse in Bristol I would have thought at the moment. I understand the filter works best if you are standing 45 degs to the sun or, with either of your shoulders facing it?

I found it hard to notice any difference at first when looking through the view finder and feel I need to experiment quite a lot with the filter which is a pitch 0.75 what ever that means, do you know please??

If we get any breaks in the cloud today I will take some experimental shots and find out how to put them in the members gallery.

Please let me know if you know what the 0.75 pitch means.

By the way, I originate from Paignton...

Oh, there's patches of blue in the sky here. We'll have rain/snow/hurricane by lunch and sunny in the afternoon such is the local weather :D

Ron, an easy way of testing it is to find some windows with a reflection in them, the CP should be able to eliminate them. :)

No idea about the pitch thing.

OK SammyC. Have had a play with it this afternoon and yes, you can certainly see the change in the colour of the clouds. Once we start getting a bit more sun I should be able to get along a lot better. No one seems to know what the 0.75 pitch means. I am going to email Jessops where I bought it and see what they say. I will let you know when and IF!! I get a reply.

ronb said:
I understand the filter works best if you are standing 45 degs to the sun or, with either of your shoulders facing it?

That's how I've always understood it ....45 to 90 degrees from the sun (ish). With a DSLR you should really see the effect through the viewfinder as you rotate the filter whether you're darkening the sky or reducing reflections.
I found it hard to notice any difference at first when looking through the view finder and feel I need to experiment quite a lot with the filter which is a pitch 0.75 what ever that means, do you know please??
As above Ron. Even sitting playing in your living room you should be able to see the reduced reflections from furniture etc, as you rotate the filter. It sounds like thread pitch is just to do with the filter fitting - nothing to do with it's effect.

Hey Ron, wounds like you're getting the hang of it! :)

I have two CPs a Hoya one and a Jessops one. A word of warning on the Jessops one, it seems to be very strong and I've never needed to use it at its strongest because it can lead to grey skys. Technique is to rotate until you get the strongest effect and then rotate it back a few degrees to soften it.

The Hoya one seems to be much smoother, but then cost twice as much.

I bought a cheap nasty Tiffen filter kit including a CP.

This is the first shot I took with it...the difference was startling, I had to actually tone the colours down.
It did wonders for the sky and enriched all the other colours.
I took a shot with and without the filter and the difference was amazing.

I've learned since to back it off a little.

90 degrees to the sun is supposed to be the optimum angle for strongest results.
If your lens barrel rotates when focusing you have to remember to re-tune the filter ;)

IMG_5398-01.jpg

That actually looks like a false sky on the trees on the left! lol :D

SammyC said:
That actually looks like a false sky on the trees on the left! lol :D

Your'e right it does!
The whole image had a 'false' feel about it, hence learning how to use it subtley :)

Back