Wide angle prime options for Fuji X mount

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
I’ve currently got the Samyang 12mm which I’ve been really disappointed with - sharpness is good but contrast is really low especially with a bright light source. I think it must be a bad copy or something. Aside from the XF14mm, what other options are there??

I don't think Fuji go as wide as 12mm so you have the 14mm 2.8, 16mm 1.4 and 16mm 2.8. To get as wide as the samyang you are looking at the 2 wide angle zoom. I use the 16mm 2.8 and although is a bit soft wide open in the corners it's nice and sharp stopped down to 5.6. I might upgrade this to the 1.4 version in a few years but as I don't do much wide angle this will do me for the time being.

I never liked the Samyang 12mm, I’ve had two and felt that neither really hacked it. The XF14mm is a lovely lens but the XF16mm F1.4 is a stellar lens - and possibly the best Prime that Fujifilm make for the X series - it is super sharp, has lovely colour rendition, focussed stupidly close, weather sealed, the list goes on.

I had the Samyang 12mm, XF14mm and XF16mm F1.4 all at the same time and only kept the XF16mm.

If you need to shoot wider then shoot a 2 or 3 shot pano - in vertical orientation the 16mm gives the same angle of view as the 12mm in horizontal orientation

While I have not used these APS-C lenses I know they do exist for Fuji X too
Zeiss touit 12mm f2.8
Laowa 9mm f2.8

I have had good experience with both brands in terms of colours and contrast. Zeiss is definitely one my favourites for their colours and micro-contrast.

Other brands have a few more options simply because you can use some FF options on APS-C too but otherwise there aren't many UWA primes on APS-C.

Last edited:
While I have not used these APS-C lenses I know they do exist for Fuji X too
Zeiss touit 12mm f2.8
Laowa 9mm f2.8

I have had good experience with both brands in terms of colours and contrast. Zeiss is definitely one my favourites for their colours and micro-contrast.

The Touits although have lovely colour rendering, don’t have that Zeiss micro contrast look - the 12mm Toyota is also difficult to re-sell if it doesn’t work out

The Laowa is gobsnakingly wide, a challenge to get decent compositions with!!!

Last edited:
The Touits although have lovely colour rendering, don’t have that Zeiss micro contrast route - the 12mm Toyota is also difficult to re-sell if it doesn’t work out

The Laowa is gobsnakingly wide, a challenge to get decent compositions with!!!
No idea about money, market and how wide OP is willing to accept.
Simply stating the few options that weren't mentioned :)
Someone will have to do thier own market research, I'm not into APS-C or Fuji.

The Fuji 10-24 is as good as most of the primes. That would be (and was) my choice. That being said, i also had the samyang 12mm and was perfectly happy with it.

How wide do you want to go? IF 18mm is wide enough, I might have one available since I've never used it (came as a freebie with my X-Pro1 but I bought the 18-55 and 55-200 at the same time).

As Tom says, the 10-24 is pretty damn good!

I’m looking for a wider lens with a fast aperture as I want the option to do some astro. So the 18mm abs zoom are probably ruled out. I think all things considered im erring towards the xf14mm… the Zeiss is a bit pricey

I’m looking for a wider lens with a fast aperture as I want the option to do some astro. So the 18mm abs zoom are probably ruled out. I think all things considered im erring towards the xf14mm… the Zeiss is a bit pricey
I'd suggest seriously considering the laowa 9mm f2.8

I have seen some nice astro shots with it.

Back