Wide zoom advice

Name
AndyT
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for a decent wide angle zoom to take on holiday, nothing too bulky, dont want to be swapping lenses about so something of the order of 18-250 for around £250 - £300
most of the work will be wide angle landscapes, with the option of decent zoom when needed.

Tall order I know.

Anyone feel like offering advice?
I had looked at this Tamron AF 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 Di II LD Asph (IF) Macro which seems reasonable on paper..

thanks all.

There seems to be a few Nikon 18-200mm lenses on ebay at around £300. Great carry around lens. I have one and use it a lot on holidays. There is a bit of an issue with creep, but you learn to live with it.
I tend to prefer Nikon glass. Just my personal choice.

I reckon you'd be better off with a shorter range wide zoom, the glass is likely to be better quality, I guess it depends how much you would use the long end though.

Thanks Steep, would you have any recommendations though?
As for how likely to use the long end? not really sure, as it happens I am thinking I want one for my trip to loch ness in a couple of weeks time. Have been several times before so I know I will love soaking up some nice landscape shots, but just feel I know I will regret not having a zoom when I see some deer or other wildlife off in the distance.
I also dont fancy having to change lenses especially given the likely weather :)

p.s. is there much snow up there yet?

Plenty snow on the hills, wet everywhere else :)

How about a 17-85 IS? I use one as my walkabout lens.

i'm hoping it snows more for start of feb :)

i currently have a 18-70 so was looking for a single decent lens covering that range and then some
now got my eye on the nikon 18-200 VR i know a few different lenses would probably be better IQ but hopefully the loss will be minimal compared to risks swapping lenses in wintry highland conditions :)

Hmm. My advice would be - keep the 18-70 (its pretty good IQ) and add a 55-200VR. I've seen them as low as £140, which is an absolute bargain. That way you get the VR where you need it and don't have to lump such a big lens around attached to the camera. Its light and small enough, although you might need another bag to carry 2 lenses?
HTH

thanks wildtracks appreciate the input, i had thought about something like the nikon 55-200 but one of my aims is to be able to go out especially on holiday with just one lens to cover the landscapes to the wildlife - although the 55-200 at £150ish is far more attractive to the wallet than £300-450 for a 18-200VR
i fear i may end up on this holiday with the 18-70 and just seeing how frustrated i get with shots i cant quite make as i simply cant make my mind up what to buy...

i'm hoping it snows more for start of feb :)

i currently have a 18-70 so was looking for a single decent lens covering that range and then some
now got my eye on the nikon 18-200 VR i know a few different lenses would probably be better IQ but hopefully the loss will be minimal compared to risks swapping lenses in wintry highland conditions :)

I know you understand that with a single lens to cover wide-angle to telephoto, you compromise on quality while gaining some convenience. Personally, I prefer a 2 lens setup.

Nikon is rumored to replace the already good 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 AF-S with the 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR. That would be my first lens. The second one would be the Nikon 70-300 AF-S VR.

If changing lens is the biggest issue, you could get a second body to mate with the second lens and forget about changing lens. The Nikon D40 would be a sweet second cam.

Cheers,
Elan Elango
http://www.dslrgossip.com

Back