Wifi point and shoot or...

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Looking for a wifi/Bluetooth point and shoot camera as I keep going away and using my iPhone for photos. The reason for this is for backing up to the cloud and social media sharing as well as portability.

I had a thought the other day that it would be good to save phone battery and get better quality photos by using a point and shoot camera and then accessing the photos via my iPhone for post-prod and sharing.

There is a product called the 'gnarbox' (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gnarbox/gnarbox-edit-and-share-hd-footage-in-seconds-lapto) that is on kickstarter that would solve my issues for this and I wouldn't have to upgrade my go pro hero 2 to a wifi version but this isn't out till next year, any alternatives ?

That is one option above as I already have a point and shoot non wifi.

The other is to get a wifi/Bluetooth point and shoot and forget about the gopro and just upgrade it.

Basically just don't want to use my phone to take photos and most definitely don't want to lug by dslr around on holiday.

Thoughts/recommendations ?

-----
Research Later
-----

Looked into this a bit further and keep stumbling upon mirror less and micro four thirds - LUMIX GM1 anyone ? Only downside I can find is the battery, but happy to carry a spare for the sake of a tenner.

Or

GM5 - not really sure the difference ? Looked at websites and the only difference is hot shoe and view finder ?

Last edited:
2 different forums and no replies.

I thought these mirrorless are the things to go for.

The problem with all the photography shops closing is that I cannot go in and compare the GM1 and GM5, seems no one stocks them. And now they have discontinued this range ? WHY !

Ive only just gotten into mirrorless via olympus and the wifi only really allows shutter control, geotagging and transfer of photo to the phone. the wifi on the camera cannot back up to the cloud etc so any photo you want to back up and or share means wifi-ing to the phone then upload, so to be honest you'll be using both batteries even more surely?

Your main advantage will be that the image quality of any camera's likely to be better than the phone depending on models.

have you seen the dxo one camera for iPhone? its just been released it plugs into iPhone ............. might be worth a look?

When doing any of those processes, except for geotagging, then I will be at home/hotel when battery isn't an issue. Backing up isn't something I have ever needed to do (with a camera), but I use dropbox on my phone, so transferring to phone and uploading isn't a problem either.

I just don't see any cameras on the market that can compare to these 2. I am edging towards GM1 due to built in flash as I will never need a hotshoe, nor like the idea of having to carry an external flash around.

Any GM1 owners know if it can take panoramic ? Amazon suggests "Creative Panoramic Mode" is available.

It's a shame as I just want to go to a shop and ask these questions and buy the camera !

have you seen the dxo one camera for iPhone? its just been released it plugs into iPhone ............. might be worth a look?

Oh wow, that's cool, bit ugly and costs nearly £500 which is a bit out my range.

yeah I just thought I would throw it in there for you to see it is pretty cool when the software matures and the price drops will be a good addition I reckon for a bit of fun;-) the other one would be a sony rx100?

Pretty sure the Fuji X30 does WiFi transfer and is a fine compact to boot. A bit above P&S quality as well.

Back