WiFi SD cards

Edit My Images
Yes
What are people's experiences with WiFi SD cards? Looking to get one for my compact camera so I can easily transfer a few shots on the go to my phone whilst out.

I got one so I could get photos to come up on my tablet as I take them. It's so unreliable and one of those frustrating things that should work easily but in fact is a proper pain in the bum!!

about as reliable and friendly as your average printer, most are slow too

theres some adapters on amazon which might get around the speed thing, as the wifi stuff in the adapter, and you just put your own micro sd in. and u can get fast micro sd now..

I got an Eye-Fi card for the wife, seems to work well but don't expect it to be quick. It is very good for reviewing on your shots on an iPad.

I use a Flashair in my 7DII to transfer images to my phone so I can tweet from the side of the track. It works well, not a speed demon but not what I would call slow either.

The only problem I experience is it seems to go to sleep with the camera but sometimes won't turn on unless you turn the camera off and on again.

And it's been through the washing machine twice with no harm done :whistle:

I also use a flash air with my xf1 and it works well.

I've got a Transcend 16gig one - used it once to test it and it's sat in my bag since then. It's quite slow but I guess it could have its uses at times.

Thanks guys. Seems like I might be better off with a USB on the go connector and directly plugging it into the phone.

I've got the transcend 16 gig too. Originally got it for my Panasonic TZ and it worked ok. When I bought my D7100 I tried it and I couldn't get it to work despite Transcend's website saying its compatible. Searched the Transcend site FAQ's and it says to set the meter standby time to as long as possible, tried that still nothing! By coincidence looking through the Nikon's manual earlier today I noticed a section on Eye-Fi cards, it says that the "Eye-Fi Upload" option is only displayed when an Eye-Fi card is inserted in the camera. Well the D7100 doesn't seem to recognise the Transcend card! very frustrating.

I've got the transcend 16 gig too. Originally got it for my Panasonic TZ and it worked ok. When I bought my D7100 I tried it and I couldn't get it to work despite Transcend's website saying its compatible. Searched the Transcend site FAQ's and it says to set the meter standby time to as long as possible, tried that still nothing! By coincidence looking through the Nikon's manual earlier today I noticed a section on Eye-Fi cards, it says that the "Eye-Fi Upload" option is only displayed when an Eye-Fi card is inserted in the camera. Well the D7100 doesn't seem to recognise the Transcend card! very frustrating.
It was a D7100 I used it on - got a D7200 now so built in wifi. My lad has the 7100 now I'll double check it tomorrow

I've had a Eye-Fi card and 2 32gb Transcend wifi cards.

Eye- fi worked well but the 2 trancends failed within a month of each other, the first one after a friends wedding. I managed to format it and then recover 99% of the images, it went in the bin.

The second one after a fortnight touring Scotland it lost 80% of what I took, so nothing from John O'groats all the way down to Loch Lomond 9 days worth all round the west coast lost and unrecoverable!
Needless to say it gone beaten then binned.

So my opinion... I pretty much don't trust em!

I use a Toshiba Flash Air mainly just so I can email or upload photos from my phone easily when I'm out and about, seems to work well for that.
Which card depends on your purpose though, I don't know about the transcend but with the flash air you view the photos through an app or Web browser and choose which to download, where as with the eyefi they all get sent automatically to your phone or computer.

Back