Wild Camping in the UK

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I have done this abroad a lot and would really like to do it in the U.K. I know technically not permitted in a lot of the UK but have read about people doing it and saw a few doing in the Brecons in January

I would really like to do a few off the cuff trips this years and wondered what people's experience was, if was it enforced etc

Obviously won't leave any mess and behave respectfully

I've camped all over the Lakes and Yorkshire Dales with no problems. Get above the in bye walls, don't make yourself conspicuous and leave it as you found it.

Thanks a lot guys, you have put my mind at rest. This is the answer I was hoping for and gives me enough to give it a try

Hi, Andrew, I haven't done as much wild camping as I'd like to have done, but we have a few pencilled in for this year :)

Never had a problem. We always keep it quiet and try and keep hidden away. Google maps is great for finding hidden places that are out of site.

Lake District is a great option, especially high up. We are looking to get to Angle Tarn in the next few weeks.

Check these Youtube sites out: Linky and Linky. There are also a few Facebook groups.

Cheers and enjoy.

Scotland is never a problem, apart from Loch Lomond where there is now a ban. As for England and Wales have camped in most of the national parks without any problem, pitch late, leave early is usually the best way.

Some of the most southern area can be problematic but if you take care you can usually find a tucked away place to pitch, I have found places to camp on the south downs easy enough.

Thanks guys, this is all really helpful and the answers I was hoping for.

I am based in London so Scotland is a bit far for a weekend trip but do plan to go there either later this years or early next but I figure Snowdonia and the Lakes are possible. Would like to get up high for sunset and they stay up there

Thanks guys, this is all really helpful and the answers I was hoping for.

I am based in London so Scotland is a bit far for a weekend trip but do plan to go there either later this years or early next but I figure Snowdonia and the Lakes are possible. Would like to get up high for sunset and they stay up there

Great view from here : 53°07'30.0"N 4°06'49.3"W, or there abouts. Can't recall where we parked, but it was a stunning view. There's a footpath that you can use to go from top to bottom or vice versa.

Cheers.

Back